Profile for M. Olyett > Reviews

Content by M. Olyett

M. Olyett "Folk boy" (Watford, Herts)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
The Magical World of the Strands
The Magical World of the Strands

5.0 out of 5 stars Arthur might be thinking the 'la done good!, 10 Aug. 2015
As a callow youth growing up in Luton( i was 16 in 1978) i discovered the 'Forever Changes' and thought i was the only boy/youth/man who knew about this fantastic album. Little did i know that up in Liverpool, FC was the album of choice for most aspiring scally musicians.
I was a great Paleys fame but really Shack and the Strands rather passed me by.
So I'm playing catch up with all this great music. TMWOTS is a lost classic. Now I know that title is attributed to a lot of noisey s***, but this is the real deal. I haven't stopped playing it, and am clutching the empty cd case it to my breast. I suggest you do the same>

H.M.S. Fable
H.M.S. Fable
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Revolver and Forever Changes little brother., 5 July 2015
This review is from: H.M.S. Fable (Audio CD)
Got this as used on Amazon. Came very quickly and just as well as this is a magnificent album. I loved the Pale Fountains, and even when I was in a little garage band at the times always saw Mick Head as my generation(he's only a year older). So Shack passed me by a bit at the time. I had heard tales of Mick's drug problems and presumed we would hear no more from him.
The recent Uncut reviews on TOW and TMWOTS and backstory about the Head brothers piqued my interest. This album is a sold gold treasure. I really don't know where to start. The sheer energy and verve of the songs is mixed with a scally pathos and sensitivity i have never encountered in a record before. From Natalie's Party to Daniella I kept wondering if my ears were deceiving me!!!!
Daniella broke my heart, true melancholia. Having said that there are many uplifting and joyous elements here to . The opener, Natalie's Party and Pull Together are life affirming. Streets of Kenny, 'I don't wanna bag, i want a big one' well the new 'Cold Turkey or 'Heroin' maybe, who knows, when cares. When music is as powerful as this, Mick Head could be singing about Calpol and it would still sound emotional and chilling.
Great guitar sound on here and I love the way the vocals are layered and stacked. Now to my wife's great chagrin it's time to delve deeper into the Shack/Strands back catalogue. It promises to be quite a ride!

Evidence: The Complete Fame Records Masters
Evidence: The Complete Fame Records Masters

5.0 out of 5 stars 48 kicking tracks of sweet Southern soul, 23 Nov. 2014
Just got this superb cd(birthday pressie from the wife). 48 kicking tracks of sweet Southern soul. Really forget about latter day crapola like 'young hearts...' and ' you got the love'. This is the real Candi Staton. I was doing some paperwork sat at the dining room and just had to keep stopping. So many jaw dropping moments.
Great album from the folks at ACE.

Croz
Croz

5.0 out of 5 stars I can always remember his name!, 20 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Croz (Audio CD)
Like a lot of people here who have posted a review. I was a little worried about what sound of album one of my all time musical heroes had come up with.
Well I really need not have worried. Time has not withered his musical powers that's for sure. Crosby has always been agreat collaborator but his solo canon is small. 'Croz' has definitely added to his musical legacy. A prominent but still understated presence is his son, James. It's clear that they have a great personal and musical relationship. I was worried as to how his voice would sound and hold up, and although it is not the wonderful instrument of yore. It has taken on a wonderful deeper, richer tone to his quality tenor.
Crosby has always had his jazz influences and loved quirky time signatures(Mind gardens, Tribal gathering, Deja vu etc). So don not despair they are here in several tracks. Faves for me; What's broken, The clearing, Radio, Set that baggage down and Dangerous night.

Immediate Album Collection
Immediate Album Collection

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Of Late Period Small Faces, 11 Nov. 2013
Probably the most underrated British Band of the 60s. If you like SF but really prefer all their Immediate output, this is the collection for you.

Basically you get their second album, Ogdens and the great retrospective compilation, Autumn Stone. Magnificent as the first two undoubtedly are. It is AS that is the revelation. There are the hits but then also some of the tracks that would have be on 1862 the mythical follow up to Ogdens.

The group seemed to be ploughing a pastoral, acoustic soul hybrid ala Traffic. It's clear the band had the chops and the material to do it, so what happened?

Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall
Bill Withers Live At Carnegie Hall

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I coulda been there, 2 May 2013
The voice of Bill Withers always seemed to be on the radio when I was growing up in the 70s. I had this on vinyl, the cover and record got tired and battered, it had to be replaced. Bill Withers is a hell of an artist and a hell of a man. Add to that his tight and funky backup band and you have a fantastic recipe for a great night's entertainment on a rainy night in New York.
Right from the off Bill welcomes you in. 'Grandma's Hands' and 'Hope She's Happier' are just beautiful. Use Me, Ain't No Sunshine, Friend Of Mine, oh my they all wrap you up in a soulful feeling.

Bill Withers sometimes gets overlooked alongside other 70s soul giants such as Stevie Wonder and Michael Gaye. His music is just as soulful and funky but with a downhone folky feel to it. His music, grooves and lyrics are deceptively simple, but it takes genius to make it sound simple but still grab your heart, head and feet.

I can name the best live albums on the fingers of one hand. This is up there with, Live At The Apollo, Too Late To Stop Now, Live And Dangerous. Buy it, enjoy it and celebrate Bill Withers.

Ghost Stories for Christmas - The Definitive Collection (5-DVD set)
Ghost Stories for Christmas - The Definitive Collection (5-DVD set)
Dvd ~ Sir Michael Hordern

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes it's not what you can see, 29 Dec. 2012
A reminder of many Christmas past. These wonderful but chilling stories were an integral part of our Christmas viewing. Combining these tales with some notable actors and actresses you are definitely in for a real treat.

Very often the horror is only hinted at(hence my review title). Sometimes the tension is near unbearable when you know something is about to happen or some horrific apparition will show its self.

Highly recommended viewing. Apart from the wonderful M R James collection check out, 'The Signalman', 'Stigma', and 'The Ice House' you won't be disappointed. Sleep well!

Okeh - a Northern Soul Obsession Vol.1
Okeh - a Northern Soul Obsession Vol.1

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone A Winner, 13 Jan. 2012
You expect the best from Ace/Kent Records and this release doesn't disappoint. Twenty four killer dance tunes. It's basically a soul allnighter in your living room. Really it is amazing how few of these were hits. Kicking off with Sandi Sheldon's, 'You're Gonna Make Me Love You'. Other standout tracks are 'Gonna Get Along Without You Now' by the Vibrations, and Walter Jackson's, ' It's An Uphill Climb To The Bottom'. As an ex-mod of the revival era 1979 I've been dusting down my Harrington, Sta Prest and Brutus shirts and getting to a few Northern Soul Nights. Ace seem to be supplying the soundtrack to this old mod's revival. Seriously get this compilation.

Essential Martin Carthy
Essential Martin Carthy

5.0 out of 5 stars Folk Oracle, 15 May 2011
This review is from: Essential Martin Carthy (Audio CD)
Martin Carthy is now into his fifth decade as an artist and performer in the folk genre. Soon to be 70 he shows no signs of slowing down, nor losing his passion for the music he loves. Having an extensive and varied back catalogue, it is a case of where to start if you are new to his work.

I would heartily recommend this collection as square one. Thirty four tracks from his 1965 debut album to the present, and what a journey it's been. As someone who(five years ago), was not over-familiar with his work. Carthy never fails to inspire me. His material and choice of is as old as the hills but still sounds fresh and yes contemporary.

Standout tracks for me are Prince Heathen, January Man, The Bedmaking and Bill Norrie, but really there ain't a duff track. Carthy's well documented guitar skills are rhymic but also melodic. They are the perfect accompniment and 'serve the song' in all instances. MC is also underrated as a singer. His style is simple, but he can inject great pathos, humour and menace when called for.

Having met the man, I can report he is modest self-effacing and a true gent. If you have only a passing interest in folk......buy this collection.

Martin Carthy : Sound Techniques - Guitar Maestros Series 1 [DVD]
Martin Carthy : Sound Techniques - Guitar Maestros Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Trevor Dann

5.0 out of 5 stars Potted History Of English Folk, 24 July 2009
Martin Carthy probably represents one of the last great links to the folk revival. His acclaimed canon of work both solo and collaborative, plus his assciation with all the major movers and shakers of the genre make him a unique figure.
I have to say, although an admirer, I was not a major Carthy fan. That soon changed after viewing this DVD. Interviewer Trevor Dann gets the right mix of chat and music. Martin Carthy is a modest, informative raconteur and his love for his family and folk music comes through loud and clear.
This is not the most polished style of guitar technique you will see, and thank goodness for that. Carthy's earthy English folk guitar style has a melody and narrative to it, that is unique as the tunings he uses. It's great to see his Martin Signature Edition guitar and his lesser see Fylde Jumbo as well.
I play folk guitar and Carthy along with Nic Jones are a major influence. I heartily recommend this purchase.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3