Profile for Neil Smales > Reviews

Content by Neil Smales

Neil Smales "easily pleased" (Middlesbrough, England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Football Manager 2006 (Mac/PC CD)
Football Manager 2006 (Mac/PC CD)
Offered by marxwax

5.0 out of 5 stars Aside from that this game is brilliant, and until W10 I still played it more ..., 18 Oct. 2015
WORD OF WARNING!
This game will NOT work on Windows 10. The old DRM this game uses has been blocked on Windows 10 for security reasons. There is no workaround unfortunately.
Aside from that this game is brilliant, and until W10 I still played it more than the newer editions. It's an absolute gem.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty damn good., 3 Mar. 2015
Love this tshirt. Very thin and cool, but thick enough to do it's job.
Print looks good quality. Only been washed once so far, so can't comment on the durability of the print as yet.
Only downside is that it recommends machine washing in cold water (inside out). This means it's pretty much washed by itself which isn't very water/energy efficient.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great but has flaws, 13 April 2014
Lets split this into good and bad shall we.

Good
The customisability of this mouse is amazing. You can adjust it's length, width, height, weight, and even where some of the buttons are in relation to the position of your hand.

Profile options are good, with different settings available for different games.

The mouse is solid, strong and well built. Surprisingly sturdy considering all the parts that can move.
Despite it's appearance (really ugly) it is one of the most comfortable mice I've ever owned.

DPI settings are very sharp, very responsive and accurate.

Buttons are responsive and have a nice solid click, and are easy to press.

The aiming button is brilliant, very helpfull in fps games.

Bad
Despite what I've said above the mouse occasionally stutters, so the mouse pointer is slow and sluggish and jumps. It doesn't last long and only happens occasionally (once or twice a week under daily heavy use). Also for some bizarre reason it will change it's dpi setting by itself without me touching a thing (there is a button behind the wheel which changes dpi settings). I'll be using it and suddenly it'll start zooming about the screen or slow to a crawl and when I look at the mouse it's dpi has changed from 3 (my normal setting) to 4 (faster) or 1(slowest). So I have to press the button to switch it back to what it should be.
All of these things don't happen often, not enough to stop me from using it or buy it, but if it happens whilst gaming (especially multiplayer fps) you will find it infuriating.

Also several times a day (under a full days usage) the pointer will suddenly jump to the edge of the screen instantaneously. For no reason. For hardcore gamers this could be a deal breaker. If this happened every so often then ok, but if I played for 10 hours then it would happen 5 or 6 times. This would drive some gamers insane to the point they'd throw the mouse out of the window.

All of this mouses issues seem to be software based and not hardware, so maybe they could be fixed. Though in the year that I've owned this mouse there has only been one software update for it. So fixes don't look promising.

Wake up Time. Whilst I don't have the issue others seem to have, wake up is not immediate. Mine takes around 5 seconds to fully wake up. I do find that clicking one of the buttons speeds up the process massively, if you just wiggle the mouse then yes, it takes ages. Click a button and it's a few seconds. I don't have a problem with this, but others might.

Other Stuff
Battery. There's alot of complaints about the battery system, but I really like it.
It comes with 2 batteries which are charged in the usb transmitter. Yes the batteries life aren't good, no more than 8 hours under heavy use, probably less. But they do charge quite quickly and as soon as one starts to die, you just switch the battery.
This is where some people have a problem. Many have found the batteries are very hard to change. I completely disagree. Granted at first they are very stiff and are difficult to change, but after a dozen swaps or so it becomes easy. I can change the battery in 4 seconds, and can even do it one handed in about 10 seconds.
I recommend spending 20 minutes when you first get the mouse just taking out and putting back in the 2 batteries, this breaks them in and makes switching them much easier.

My only battery complaint, is that the mouse only gives around 5 - 10 minutes of warning that the battery is dying. The dpi lights start to flash when this is so. If online gaming, then this can be irritating as you can't often pause your game or finish what you're doing in five minutes. The battery switch is quick, but in a fps that 4 seconds could mean death. I'd have preferred a good 20 minutes warning.

If you don't use a wrist rest then ignore the following paragraph.I would have liked more height to the mouse (even the customisation doesn't raise it's height enough for my taste). I use a wrist rest and find that the palm of my hand that should rest on top of the mouse barely touches it. My entire hold and grip is with my fingers, which isn't ideal when there are a number of thumb buttons that are often used, but I need my thumb to grip and control the mouse movements. This isn't a problem without a wrist rest, as the rest raises the hands angle. But I need my wrist rest or my wrist starts to ache and hurt after a few hours of constant mouse use.

Summary
A very good and well built mouse, but with some flaws. There are probably better wireless gaming mice out there (both Razor and Logitech have excellent models - though Logitech's recently terrible software has driven me away from their gaming mice), but this one has alot going for it.
Now given the huge price of this mouse, would I buy it whilst knowing about it's flaws. No I wouldn't. It is a very expensive mouse, and for that price it should be near flawless. It can never be perfect, there will always be people with issues about it, but you could get it pretty close.
If the mouse is on offer (like £20 off), then yes, snap it up. Otherwise I'd try a different mouse.
As far as I'm concerned all gaming peripherals should be 5 star. Gaming is rather unforgiving, and if your equipment isn't spot on, then it can really spoil things.

I hope this review helps.

CAT Footwear Falmouth, Men's Lace-Up Flats
CAT Footwear Falmouth, Men's Lace-Up Flats
Price: £72.10 - £89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic! (mostly), 12 Jan. 2014
Well, this is mostly a positive review, but with a single negative.

I've just ordered my 4th pair of these shoes after the right sole of my last pair suddenly split in two. Was very disappointed with this as they were only 18 months old. BUT these shoes are very heavily worn. 9 hours a day, 5 days a week, most of that time, is standing or crouching or walking, so the shoes are given some hammering.
I am presuming this is just an unlucky failure as my previous 2 pairs lasted around 5 years each and were only replaced because the soles were so worn holes were appearing.

The shoes are heavy, but to me that is a positive. They are solid, strong and sturdy, all very important for suiting my needs. I feel confident that if I drop something heavy, or stand on something pointy my feet are safe (up to a point, these are not 'safety shoes', no steel toe caps).
The grips on the sole are unbelievable. Brilliant for a pair of 'smart style' work shoes. Ice, snow, water, detergents, oils, doesn't matter, these suckers will grip on anything. They are also long wearing. At least 4 years or more before they are so worn they need resoling or replacing (based on my 45 hour a week usage, and depends on your walking style)
They are extremely comfy once worn in. Other reviewers have said this can take a while, and they are right. Given I wear them 45+ hours a week, they still took a week or two to wear in my last pair. The best thing about them is the inner sole, it is soft and supporting with excellent shock absorbency. As I've said, sometimes I'll be stood for 9 hours straight, but I wouldn't know that in these. My feet don't hurt or ache in the slightest, you'd think I'd been sat down all day. Before my last pair, I bought a different cheap pair of shoes, and regretted it after a month. My feet would ache every day at work. I threw them out after 6 months and bought a pair of Cats again.

So despite the one glitch in my last pair, I still thoroughly love and recommend these shoes. Five stars.

Cat5e RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network UTP Lead 3m New Cable
Cat5e RJ45 Ethernet LAN Network UTP Lead 3m New Cable
Offered by Everyday Electrics

5.0 out of 5 stars does what it says on the tin, 28 Mar. 2013
Not much to say really. The cable I received was what it was supposed to be. It works as it should, clips in securely, and is dirt cheap.
Can't go wrong.

UK POWER CORD 2 PIN (FIG8) 1.5M
UK POWER CORD 2 PIN (FIG8) 1.5M
Offered by redappleaudio

5.0 out of 5 stars It works!, 28 Mar. 2013
Yay! I can now use my old PS2 again without having to switch power cables.
And it hasn't blew up yet, so that's good.

AmazonBasics USB 2.0 A-Male to B-Male Cable with Lighted Ends Braided 1.8 m / 6 Feet

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, but....., 28 Mar. 2013
Ok, they're good cables. The cords are nice and thick but very flexible and a good length. The cable works well, not had any problems.
My one issue is the blue led's in the ends. I do like them (very pretty), but my motherboard maintains power to the computers USBs even when the computer is turned off (as long as power is connected). This means that the led's are ALWAYS on. As my computer is in my bedroom it means I end up with a permanent night-light (and I have 3 of these cables attatched). Not an issue for me as a sleep like a corpse, but it could be a problem for some. I took off one star because of this, but if the leds doesn't bother you then regard this as a five star product.

Tweezerman Stainless Steel Toenail Clipper
Tweezerman Stainless Steel Toenail Clipper
Offered by 123Hairandbeauty

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but has flaws, 28 Mar. 2013
Very solid, very sharp, well made and I think will be resiliant.
3 issues:
Blade is straight. Nails are naturally curved, this can make for awkward cutting and your nail needs to be cut in sections, you can't do it in one continuous cut.
Blades are very close together. Again nails are naturally curved down at the edges again making for awkward cutting. Not too bad for finger nails, but I've struggled with my big toe nails.
Finally it has no file, so you can't use it as an all-in-one device to take on holiday with you etc.

Samsung Licensed Leather Flip Case Cover for Galaxy S3 by Anymode - Black
Samsung Licensed Leather Flip Case Cover for Galaxy S3 by Anymode - Black
Offered by BigWhiteRabbit

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb so far, 28 Mar. 2013
Had this for nearly 2 months now and I absolutely love it. Best phone case I've ever had. It feels solid, looks good and is so far resilient.
This case is not meant to protect your phone from being drop kicked or anything, it's main aim clearly is to protect the screen, which it does admirably.
It fits really snugly and only adds about 2-3mm to the phones thickness, which is by far the thinnest flip case I've seen. So it still fits in your (large) pocket without completely filling it (I can fit my wallet in alongside it), which is essential for such a large phone.
The backplate also means the camera lens no longer protrudes from the back of the phone and is nicely protected now.
I've noticed a few negative reviews mentioning charging inconveniences. This is because the front cover 'hinge' is on the bottom covering the micro-usb socket. I don't find this a problem as the cover folds right over flat against the back panel leaving the usb free. This also allows you to see when the phones light turns green to let you know charging is complete.
Incidently, when the front panel is folded back like this, the catch raises the phone slightly so creating a little stand. Something I've also found handy.
Last point is the catch which holds the front cover closed. It's a nice tight fit and won't come open accidently which is good. One possible downside is that the edge of this catch is starting to fray and come away a bit. It isn't visible from the outside so isn't unsightly, but I do wonder at what rate and how badly this fraying will become over time. So far it's had no impact at all, but it's only been 2 months.
I'll try to remember to update this review after 6 months to see how the catch is faring.

*EDIT*
I've now had this for a year and it is still in one piece. Given that I open and close the case a few dozen times a day, the catch holding it closed has frayed more and looks a little scruffy, but it still fastens securely and isn't compromising the case. A little bit of fraying on one side edge of the screen cover, but nothing major.
This case is so far surviving the test of time relatively intact despite plenty of rough treatment.

Logitech Gaming Mouse G700
Logitech Gaming Mouse G700

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but could be better..., 24 Dec. 2012
Ilove Logitech products. Most of my peripheral componants are Logitech. I've always found their stuff to be brilliant. But this product has shaken my confidence in them.
Ok, lets start with the bad stuff. The great big massive problem is actually with the Logitech software, as such the problem will likely be fixed with future updates. But at the moment this mouse is completely useless as a gaming mouse. I chose this mouse because it has a load of extra buttons which can be programmed to do functions that keyboard usually do (melee attack, throw grenade, etc), makes control in-game much easier. I didn't want millions of buttons (like the G600). The number on this mouse looked just right and in great positions without making moving the mouse awkward. The problem at the moment is that with the current software games only detect 3 of the buttons (G4 & G5 on the side, and the wheel button). So it's pretty much a basic mouse. This does appear to be an issue with all the G series gaming mice, not just this one. I don't know what Logitech are playing at, they're really messing up at the moment (the G Series gaming keyboards are also effected, but mostly ok now).
So the hardware itself. I would have liked rubber coatings on the sides. This mouse has a rough plastic case, whilst the roughness does provide some grip, if you get sweaty or really dry hands the mouse slips in your grip alot. Not great when making quick precise moments in gaming. Secondly is the USB cable, it is far too thick. When it's plugged in, it really resists forward and backward movement and be infuriating. Thankfully I've found the battery life to be good enough to last an entire days constant gaming (12 hours+) on a single charge, so I don't require the cable. The signal is good enough to not require the cable for extreme precision and speed for you hardcore gamers out there, so again the cable isn't required for that either.
Recharging is done via the USB cable though, so you either need to plug it in whilst the computer is on, buy a recharging plug for usb devices (like with mobile phones, ipods etc) or have a motherboard that maintains power to usb sockets even when the computer if off (like mine does). This could be irritating for some people. I would have liked a charging dock like my old MX Revolution did.
Now the good stuff.
You can adjust the laser precision which can be a huge battery saver for general use. It has loads of buttons which can (normally) be customised. The button positions are brilliant and really easy to use. The battery life is excellent. The signal strength is great and with the usual Logitech tiny receiver.
I've given it 4 stars because I presume they'll fix the software issues. If they don't then I'd drop it to a 2 and buy a different mouse. It's worth checking the Logitech forums before buying this, to see if the issue has been fixed prior to you purchasing it. At the moment I'd go with another brand like Razor, etc.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3