Profile for Too Techie > Reviews

Content by Too Techie

Too Techie (London, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Reytid® 3.5mm to 3.5mm Audio Cable w/ Mic & Volume Control for Beats, Bose, Skullcandy, Sony, Logitech, V-Moda, Marhsall, Audio Technica, B&O, Soul, Denon, Studio, Solo for Apple iPhone, iPod, iPad, Macbook, MAC, PC, Android, Smartphones - In-Line Remote - 1.2m AUX Lead
Offered by Reytid Limted

5.0 out of 5 stars They fit, they work., 15 Jun. 2016
I bought this as a replacement cable on a Goldring NS1000 Expedition headphones. The original cable had become damaged causing the left bin to turn silent. I tried buying a couple of cheaper cables but the collars on both of them were too big so the jack would not fit into the headphones. The collars on these jacks are very slim, no surprise I suppose as they are designed for inserting into headphones. Can't comment on the microphone as not used in a phone. They fit, they work, cheaper alternatives were a false economy.

Professional Quality Headphone Adaptor ~ 3.5mm Jack Socket to 6.35mm Plug with 24K Gold Plated Contacts by electrosmart®
Offered by electrosmart

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than expected, 10 May 2014
Dispatched in 1 hour, delivered next day. Far superior to estimate of 3 to 5 days delivery which is unfair on this supplier.
Picture looks like there is a plastic sleeve on the end but it is metal, and receives the 3.5mm jack. Great quality.

Panasonic SC-BT330EB-K Blu-Ray 5.1 Home Cinema (2XTB,1000W)
Panasonic SC-BT330EB-K Blu-Ray 5.1 Home Cinema (2XTB,1000W)

5.0 out of 5 stars Its great - buy it and vote for my review!, 29 July 2010
I've had this Blu-ray DVD player for a few weeks and I've only watched it fleetingly since we've hardly got any Blu-rays and incessently watch standard def programmes on Sky+, but I've got a really good feeling about my purchase because its a panny and talks to my telly, and full HD with a Blu-ray is absolutely knock out, especially with the free Blu-ray disks which arrived in the post after 5 days - you have to fill out a form and convince them you realy did buy the player. The iPod player is groovy; put an iPod in and it shows the tracks on the TV, but the navigation is hopeless so you select a playlist using the Blu-ray remote, or revert to selecting artist/album from the iPod itself - but it sounds good - I like those bamboo speakers, it's not just marketing balderdash but something veritably impressive. These black devices do show the dirt though, preferred the millenium silver; needs less dusting. So it's a high definition equivalent to a DVD - with an iPod doc and powerful speakers - the woofer should be on the RHS of the telly else the foam output is exposed; so what! You couldn't buy better for the price. If you've got a panny TV, this is the one for you!
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2010 10:43 PM BST

Panasonic TX-L37S20BA 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 100Hz LCD TV with Freeview HD

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Marvelous, 29 July 2010
I bought this TV for my mum having purchased Panasonic TX-L37G15 37 inch Viera Full HD LCD Television with Freesat (TX-L37G15B) for myself just before New Year, thinking I would save myself a few bob before nasty VAT man inflated, but this TV was nearly £100 cheaper and better - having Freeview HD, and ARC (Audio Return Channel) which means you can fully connect to your Home Cinema with a single HDMI Cable instead of having to rely on a poxy phono cable with dubious 5:1 (or 7:1) dolby channel interpretation - can be noisy at low volume whereas ARC is inherently digital and pure.
I've heard people say HD on Freesat and Freeview was bearly any better than SD, but these full HD (1080) TVs are fantastic on Freeview - though do suffer from noise around fast moving objects like a footballers head when running across grass, a bit better on Freesat than Freeview - though you can't beat blu-ray for fantastic video enjoyment on these boxes. Make sure you buy Panasonic for each piece of your jigsaw so they all talk to each other. The only thing missing on this box is the swivel base which is brilliant on my Panasonic TX-L37G15 37 inch Viera Full HD LCD Television with Freesat (TX-L37G15B), though you could probably make your own with a lazy suzy nicked from the local Chinese restaurant - just pop in with your pop up tent from Glastonbury and they won't notice you leaving with their swivel service apart from the mess of the dim sum all over the table cloth. You can get equivalent TV from Samsung or Sony, or compromise with LG and Toshiba, or regret a Bush or Argos home brand, but you won't get a full quality integrated setup with any other manufacturer than a Panasonic. You could use a swivel chair instead of a lazy suzy. Don't forget to vote for this review with the buttons - I want to get to the top of the list, so vote positive - yeah yeah yeah!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2010 3:09 PM BST

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars It works better than I'd imagined, 6 July 2010
I'm a smart techno wiz head. Real dad's don't use installation disks. I'm going to plug this direct into my laptop with a single ethernet cable, and I don't even need a cross over. Just set the IP address on my laptop as stated in the instructions, enter my WiFi WEP code, a piece of cake. Right, done that, easy, but it doesn't seem to work - in fact, it was that easy, but I hadn't worked out how to test it. I needn't have worried, as soon as I fitted to my Panasonic TV Internet port Panasonic TX-L37G15 37 inch Viera Full HD LCD Television with Freesat (TX-L37G15B), it just worked. I plugged the USB cables into my Nintendo Wii to save on having it powered on all the time. Now when we want to watch YouTube on the telly, just switch on the Wii, select VieraCast, and were laughing at lego men dancing to Grease. I wonder if they do an N rated device rather than a G rated so I can stream HD?

Gigaset E495 Robust DECT Cordless Phone with Answer Machine
Gigaset E495 Robust DECT Cordless Phone with Answer Machine

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm a member of ths SAS, 6 July 2010
This phone isn't for wimps and wussies. Its for rufty tufty oil and gas men types, the sort who drive cars with bog roll over the 4 wheel drive engager. The sort of people who get a call from double glazing salesmen then smash the phone against the wall in annoyance, and expect the wall to crumble and the phone to stay intact. It's the sort of phone that Andy McNab would have, and lob over the wall having removed the incendiary pin, expecting the neighbour's house to explode. It rumbles when it rings in a menacing way, inviting you to grab it in a clench fist and say "hello caller, you're nicked!". The casing is so tough the sound struggles to get out, so you have to have it on maximum ring tone and maximum speaker volume. When you get a message you press on the flashing envelope which is satisfyingly tactile, and a real flashing key not a soft key (as you've guessed there's nothing soft about this phone, other than two keys which are in fact soft keys). However, you click on the left hand side soft key to go back, then go back again, then suddenly the soft key turns into a delete key so you accidentally delete the message, and then you go into a rage and throw the phone on the ground and stamp all over it, then limp off to bed, the phone resting in a dent on the floor, unblemished and assured.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2011 5:39 PM GMT

Garmin Nuvi 1370 4.3" Sat Nav with UK, Full Europe, USA and Canada Maps and Bluetooth

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't Mr Garmin work on the Apollo moon shots?, 4 July 2010
I bought this for a trip to Holland in April, and because I will be driving in New Jersey later in the year. It got me to Holland really quickly and painlessly, but on the way back it tried to navigate me into a field; literally. I think I may have been driving too fast as I hadn't allowed enough time to get the ferry, which I missed though I can't blame the sat nav for that. Apart from this mishap where it really did seem to have trouble updating itself, the unit has been fine. I've seen the next model up has a much more detailed lane assist showing a 3D picture of a motorway junction and a Nike style swoosh arrow. This one just shows arrows in the top LHS, though I find that pretty good. I have had a situation where a 3D picture would have avoided a missed junction, though it was a very minor junction in Belgium and I bet this particular junction wouldn't have been 3Deed on the next model up.

Sat Navs have come on a lot in the past few years and this is a definite step up from my previous unit. In fact, other members of the family like it which is in complete contrast to my previous gobby unit. There's some nice touches like the "where am I" feature which tells you where you are - something annoying about my last one I couldn't work out what junction I'd just passed on the motorway, whereas now I can, and find the nearest petrol station, hospital etc..

I've read that other people have had technical problems. There is something a bit odd when hooking up to the internet, when it suspects you may have a stolen device. I wonder if that results in people's units stopping working. I made sure I drove to my house on Sat Nav a few times so it registered where I lived was "Home", it then registered fine and hasn't suspiciously shut down. Also, the "simulation" mode actually switches off satellite reception, and it can then take ages to re-detect, whereas keeping it in live mode seems to work brilliantly. Great battery life. It has a traffic thingy which hasn't kicked in yet even though I've got the receiver attached. It doesn't come with a pouch or a stylus - I use the little placky bag it was packaged within, and nicked a Nintendo DS stylus from the kids.

Obviously you would only buy this particular unit if you wanted UK, European and US maps, otherwise the other units are going to be just as good, the decisions being the size of the screen (this one is fine) whether it has 3D lane assist (on the bigger units I believe, as this one has 2D lane assist), and the collection of maps. I chose this device because of the maps, and am delighted with the improvement in usability and experience over my previous device, so will probably stick with Garmin from now on, especially when the interplanetary maps come out.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2010 2:11 PM BST

Where Do Comedians Go When They Die?: Journeys of a Stand-up
Where Do Comedians Go When They Die?: Journeys of a Stand-up
by Milton Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars A class act, 1 July 2010
This book was written to make you laugh, which I did from start to finish. There were times when I thought it autobiographical (did you really do that in prison Milton?), though as an autobiography the author couldn't have been so rude, and maybe not as funny. The first half he's starting out in stand-up and its laugh out loud, with loads of material and tons of gags, I was reading thinking "what a treat". By the second half characters have been developed and it becomes a bit like a sit-com; more Frasier than Friends. He deals with family, tragedy, and his own torment, all the while interjecting with scenarios developed with believable characters then an unexpected perspective relieves the tension and humour is restored. I was left thinking he's better looking than me, drives a better car than me, and has got a cat called Jess.

Panasonic TX-L37G15B 37-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD TV with Freesat HD (Installation Recommended) & Viera Cast

5.0 out of 5 stars TV is just one bit of the jigsaw. The other bits nearly fit., 3 Mar. 2010
I've had this TV for a few months now, and the picture is fantastic and its pretty easy to use with one or two little niggles. Overall I'm very pleased and would probably order the same TV again - especially the size at 37". If you are considering the size, measure the distance from your sofa to the TV and divide by 6 to get the width then convert to diagonal. My TV sofa distance is 2.8m and a 37" TV is just right, though the kids sit closer.

I think of this TV in three parts...

1. Audio Visual: I believe Panasonic have reached as close to perfection as possible with their video implementation. Blacks are completely black, there is no motion blur other than the limitations in the source material, and the panel is perfect - it can go very bright with no degradation in picture quality, and has 180 degree field of view; as good as a CRT. The sound is as good as can be expected without having external speakers, in fact it has some nice settings to create an expansive sound and is particularly good for speech. What more could you want? - maybe something a bit more stylish like one of those wafer thin Samsungs, or an OLED Sony, but these are a bit gimmicky. The next step for video is 3D.

2. The Tuner: One reviewer marked this TV down for Freesat, and has been under appreciated for it, but I think he's right. You can't get VIERA CAST without Freesat and I'm sure you pay a premium for it. I don't use the Freesat as I have a Sky subscription, so the cables stay plugged into the Sky+ box. However, this TV expects to be connected. I've read somewhere that it doesn't setup the time properly if it can't find Freesat, also, it's software upgradable, but does so from a Freesat download. I did plug in the Satellite cable during setup which I recommend. I've tried the one HD channel on it - BBC HD and the picture is a little better than non-HD, but they always seemed to have dog breath Hairy Bikers on. So the cables went back into the Sky box which is where they've stayed.

3. Internet connectivity: Implemented and branded as VIERA CAST by Panasonic. It's not the world wide web, but a group of services served up over the internet. When we first had it there were about 4 services, now there's about 10, though a few are German - I think they are trying to control my mind!. There's a weather channel which is even worse than the BBC - not the weather's worse, just less reliable than Michael Fish. If you have a dinner party you can go to Picassa and have a stunning slide show playing, though it is distracting. We use YouTube a couple of times a week. I like to piss myself laughing at Cassette boy at least once a fortnight. Sometimes watching YouTube on full screen you forget it's not the real telly which is a credit to the incredible video processor in the box. I have read that BBC iPlayer is on its way to VIERA CAST which will be fantastic.

Pleasantly surprised by some little extras...
SD Card Reader for looking at pictures from my Panasonic camera.
Ambient light detector which I thought didn't work at first, but realise it seamlessly adjusts the brightness just right.
RGB takes 1080i from my Freecom media player.
Quality of standard DVD picture played through HDMI; some DVD's look HD.

Niggles...
Freesat (see above).
Ease of use: Panasonic have dropped a mark from their usual impeccable standards here - Sometimes the TV doesn't automatically goto the Sky box when you use the Sky remote, and Viera Link to my Panasonic home theatre occasionally goes wrong. The home theatre can work in tandem with the TV through Viera Link; the TV passes sound over to the home theatre to present - you then control the volume on the home theatre from the TV remote - groovy. But sometimes the Home Theatre flips over to DVD which gets the kids screaming at me to stop fiddling!
No WiFi: Its not obvious how to get the TV connected to broadband. Panasonic stick an RJ45 on the back of the box and tell you to get on with it. I bought a Belkin Wireless G Gaming Adapter for £30 and it works just fine.
Media Server: There's a media server client on the TV, but it's not a great implementation. It can't handle any HD content from the server. It's nice of Panasonic to implement something and give you a free licence to download and install Twonkymedia which is worth £20. I'd say if you want to do this, you need a proper media player attached to the TV.

This last point leads me to question this box. Panasonic have made a fantastic TV and have tried to add new media features which aren't quite integrated properly. Maybe my TV would improve with software downloads, if only it was connected to Freesat. I could have purchased a cheaper Pany with the same LCD panel and video processor, and with the money saved bought a decent HD media player. However, it's the real world. Nothing works 100%. Like a Porche, it's the imperfections that add character and create a bond. At the end of the day I'm happy I chose this telly.

Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self
Feeling Unreal: Depersonalization Disorder and the Loss of the Self
by Daphne Simeon

5.0 out of 5 stars Do I have it? Yes I do. Can I cure it? Maybe., 21 Nov. 2007
Everybody, at some point in their life, will experience depersonalization (DPD) for a moment,then it will pass. But for some poor soles, it doesn't go away. If you have depersonalization, you know there's something wrong in your head, you may not know what it is and probably think there is something wrong with you that nobody else has ever had. This book masterfully explains the condition in the most comprehensive and unpatronising way possible through meticulous research and clear engaging prose. The case studies early on are like mini short stories, some with which you will identify, and some that are completely alien, such is the rich variety of the condition. There are those with foggy headedness, and lack of emotion, through to those with sheer terrifying phobias of their own existence.

Thanks to the thoroughness of the authors, if you read this book to the end, there will be no doubt in your mind whether you have the condition or not, what type of condition, where and when it started, how it affects you, and that you can do something about it. The book does this by looking at all aspects of the condition. For example, the book considers the biology of the brain, and where the condition may lurk. There is inevitably conjecture but the authors are careful not to draw conclusions, but contemplating the workings of the brain and "community of the mind" (that's my phrase) helps understand the condition's dynamics. As well as a historical look at research and attitudes to the illness, the book considers it's place in literature which was surprisingly helpful. Some great writers have explored characters who have depersonalization, and this helps articulate the condition. The most obvious illustration of a type of DPD is JP Sartre's philosophy on existentialism. There are further illustrations and comparisons with Buddhism, and onto drug abuse and the so-near-medical phenomenon LSD. I never realized the significance of LSD to understanding the mind, and how it can work for some people but not for those with a predisposition to DPD, and the reason for this. This book neatly leads to the following question: how come some people desire and achieve depersonalization-like mind states through drugs and meditation, whilst others suffer depersonalization as a debilitating illness. There seems to be no crossover - if you suffer DPD you want to be cured, if you don't have a predisposition to DPD you are drawn to and can enjoy dissociative mind states.

If drugs and mind games can cause DPD, it stands to reason that medication and psychiatry can contain it. The book considers the medical professions answer to DPD, or at least those few clinicians who understand the ailment. Much of this work is surprisingly recent.

For me personally, this book has helped put my own condition in perspective; there are people out there who suffer worse than me and have learned to live full and worthwhile lives. As I read the book I wasn't completely convinced that DPD was my problem, and although I could relate to parts of the text so clearly that I occasionally had mild sweats, it wasn't until nearly the end, when reading the Epilogue, that the last piece of the jigsaw came into place. In fact, one phrase hit me so hard I had to stand up and turn around to regain my bearings. I can see patterns in my thinking now that lead to a worsening condition, and I do ruminate with introspection, internalizing of conflict and stifling emotions. Does this mean I need to laugh and cry more? Or by getting angry with people I'll be cured from something that has nothing to do with being angry or other people even? This is not a self help book. It is the starting point, not the end point. But you couldn't ask for a clearer path to pole position.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 17, 2009 11:18 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2