Profile for Kevin Fitzmaurice > Reviews

Content by Kevin Fitzmaurice

Kevin Fitzmaurice (London W10)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Zero In Clothes Moth Killer (Water-Based, Solvent-Free Surface Treatment for the Home, Controls Clothing Moths, Larvae and Eggs), 500 ml - Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Bye bye Moths..., 12 Sept. 2017
I went crazy with this Moth Killer and they were decimated. I got runny eyes and a nasty cough while I was in the rooms following the spraying but that went after 10 mins of fresh air! :)

Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.
Clothes, Clothes, Clothes. Music, Music, Music. Boys, Boys, Boys.
by Viv Albertine

5.0 out of 5 stars What would Viv do?, 3 Sept. 2017
Viv Albertine is a brilliant, fearless woman, flaws and all, and this is a great book.
It's the most honest, personal first-hand account I've ever read of what being at the dawn of the UK punk scene was like - but even more than that - it's a vivid account of what trying to live a bold and creative life is like.
'What would Viv do?' is a good question to ask when faced with many a dilemma - the answer may not make life easy but it could well help make it fulfilling...

Rephoenix Lightning Cable 6.5ft/2m [3-Pack(blue,orange,green)] iPhone Charger Nylon Braided Lightning to USB Cable Data Sync and Fast Charging Cable for iPhone 7 / 7 plus / 6s / 6s plus / 6 / 6 plus / SE / 5s / 5c / 5, iPad 2 3 4 Mini, iPad Pro Air, iPod & more (2m)
Offered by Rephoenix UK

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmm..., 3 Sept. 2017
Two of these cables have failed within three months of purchasing. And that's with light use at home - they were simply plugged in with a device connected each day - then one day the charging just stops. It's a pity - they look pretty but they're very poor.
UPDATE: The suppliers got in touch with me following this review and replaced the cables free of charge. I've gone from * to *** for the excellent service - and if these ones work for a reasonable time I'll re-re-review...

Rainbow Bridge
Rainbow Bridge

4.0 out of 5 stars A terrific album - for those who love Hendrix, 5 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Rainbow Bridge (Audio CD)
This is a terrific album make from the some of the best of the off-cuts from the Hendrix archives. I'm giving it four stars because I personally love it, and the vinyl was the first of his albums I ever owned, but obviously it is really one for fans and completists. There are probably 8 to 10 other albums to go to first. Never-the-less 'Hey Baby', the live 'Hear My Train...' and 'Pali Gap' are all better tracks than anything most artists ever put out... I would have appreciated a 'bonus track' or two.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 12, 2015 11:21 AM BST

Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition]
Led Zeppelin III [Deluxe CD Edition]

3.0 out of 5 stars We want 'Hey Hey What Can I Do'!, 7 July 2014
I completely agree with the comments about the ridiculous omission of the B-side of 'Immigrant Song'. What on earth are they up to? Please please don't let it be 1) they forgot or 2) they think there's more cash in it somewhere down the line. I'm not buying this great album for a third time without it. I've already paid for vinyl and the original CD release. We want 'Hey Hey What Can I Do'!

[update: August 2014 - We've just passed the 35th anniversary of their final UK performances at Knebworth. Anyway, I'm told that they are saving this song, along with a couple of other rarities, to include as extras on 'Coda'. I suppose that will help shift copies of that scrappy outtakes album when the time comes, instead of this little masterpiece. I'm sure I'm not alone in believing it belongs on this album, but Hey Ho, what can you do...]
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2014 7:52 PM BST

Ultimate Lovers Box Set
Ultimate Lovers Box Set

4.0 out of 5 stars Great value Lovers/X-Rated/Reggae Sisters Nine CD set, 21 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Ultimate Lovers Box Set (Audio CD)
Nine CDs in one box set.
This is a collection of three previously release sets:
Trojan Lovers
Trojan X-Rated
Trojan Reggae Sisters
The packaging is basic but you get 150 songs, including many classics, at a bargain basement price.

Now
Now

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 1970 album from Studio One's key keyboard King, 7 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Now (Audio CD)
This is a terrific album from Jackie Mittoo and his Studio One colleagues from 1970(ish). There are some classic tunes like Stereo Freeze, Hot Tomale and Totally Together as well as surprises like More Than Yesterday (a very groove driven light jazz instrumental that must have been a big influence on The early Style Council) and a Nyahbingi influenced version of Elenor Rigby (better than you might think). There may be one of two fillers but overall it's a very coherent collection and I heartily recommend it.

Can You Feel the Silence?: Van Morrison - A New Biography
Can You Feel the Silence?: Van Morrison - A New Biography
by Clinton Heylin

1.0 out of 5 stars A sad depressing book that might well put you off the Man..., 9 Feb. 2014
...or Clinton Heylin.

I don't usually review things badly. I'm sure everyone who writes, records or otherwise creates something for us, is doing their best. I decided to make an exception of this book because the author gives of so much negativity and sourness about Van Morrison that it put me off his music for the past three years. I found myself being influenced because of Van's reputation for being curmudgeonly and difficult. Plus, because of his alleged lack of social grace, there's not really an easily accessed portrait of offering a more rounded or even sympathetic view. His music is so beautiful and well crafted that there must be positives to draw from him as an artist - there's always something to love. You wouldn't know that from this book.

So I'm off to try and rekindle some love for Van Morrison. I intend to neutralise Clinton Heylin's Dylan obsessed jaundice with an old Johnny Rogan book I found, and I'm even going to give Greil Marcus's much criticised effort a go.

Keep Calm I'm An Actor Printed Mug [Kitchen & Home]
Keep Calm I'm An Actor Printed Mug [Kitchen & Home]
Offered by Finger prints

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the mug..., 9 Feb. 2014
If you are an actor buying a mug, or not an actor but you are buying a mug for someone who is an actor, then this could be the mug you want.

It is a very good mug and is wearing well. It appears to be dishwasher proof and you can hold hot drinks inside it.

It's not so good for people who are not actors, or if you are looking for a mug as a gift for someone who is not an actor.

Love And Happiness
Love And Happiness
Offered by Smaller World Future

5.0 out of 5 stars All the best..., 9 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Love And Happiness (Audio CD)
There are numerous compilations of Al Green's work for Hi, but this is the most comprehensive unless you're going the whole hog on the individual albums. This brilliant box contains the hits and nearly half of the best album tracks as well as a smattering of b-sides and rarities. They are sequenced in chronological order from all twelve of his Hi LPs starting from his 'Green Is Blues' Hi debut in 1969 to Truth 'n' Time in 1978. Equal time is given to each album, so some might argue that the quality fades of the final disc, but there's hardly a weak moment throughout. There is also a glossy 24-page booklet containing loads of pics, track by track details and a potted biog of the man. I unreservedly recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3