Profile for K. Morice > Reviews

Content by K. Morice

K. Morice "kevinmorice" (Aberdeen, Scotland)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Vittoria Pitstop Single Cartridge Repair for High Pressure Road Tyres/Tubulars and Seatpost Adapter Clip
Offered by Hispanoracing

5.0 out of 5 stars Only for emergencies, 9 May 2014
I carry one of these during races. It is for emergencies only to save me from having to change a tube during a race. The hole has to be relatively small so I wouldn't bother trying it on mtb tyres

Sony Walkman W273 4GB Waterproof MP3 Player for Swimming, Running and other Sports, with Wearable design - Blue (discontinued by manufacturer)

3.0 out of 5 stars Should be better, 17 April 2014
I tend to just use mine for running rather than swimming. I have given them three stars as they are still useful for running and save me fighting a cable to my phone or ipod or trying to keep those headphones in my ears as I run.

I have tried them about 8 times in the pool and I can't get them to work for more than half a dozen lengths. No matter how I adjust the strap and change the ear buds they won't stay on during the push out of turns (tumble or push turns equally, it doesn't matter).

They are fine in the bath or if I just tootle along at low effort and stop at each turn, but that defeats the point of them as a training aid. And they are much too large to put your swim cap over without being horribly uncomfortable so would be all but useless for girls with longer hair.

Doomsday Book
Doomsday Book
by Connie Willis

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid but ultimately predictable, 15 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Doomsday Book (Paperback)
I picked this up as it is in SPR's top-100 sci fi books ever. It is certainly a good sci-fi read but I wouldn't have it in my top-100.

The premise is solid, the lead in from there is pretty competent, then it gets a bit rushed. If you are going to read it, do not read the dust jacket first!

Caution: indirect spoilers from here.

There is a twist coming in the middle but it is written on the jacket! I thought this might be an easy give-up because there was something else clever coming in the story so letting that one out didn't matter, but once that one is up the book is pretty much over. The second half is utterly predictable and rushes a bit towards the end. And then it is a bit of Hollywood ending.

Tenn-Outdoors Men's Shower Windproof Foldable Cycling Gilet - White, Medium/40-42 Inch
Offered by Tenn Outdoors

5.0 out of 5 stars Handy for light weather, 15 Oct. 2013
Very handy. Really light and packs nice and small to go into the pocket of your cycling jersey or saddlepack for emergencies. Not the warmest or the the most waterproof but copes with a summer shower well enough and helps to keep the wind off if the weather turns on you when you are out.

Pocket in the back is only velcro tabbed, so wouldn't keep anything important in it.

Black Tie Mens White Narrow Pleated Tailored Fit Dress Shirt 16
Black Tie Mens White Narrow Pleated Tailored Fit Dress Shirt 16
Offered by Debenhams

5.0 out of 5 stars Slim fit, very smart, 15 Oct. 2013
Very smart and nicely fitted. I am quite tall and slim and it fits me well.

As with all double cuff shirts the cuffs are going to feel baggy on anyone with the sort of skinny arms that go with the skinny body that this shirt is designed for.

Pearl Izumi Elite Cycling Shoe Toe Covers - Black, Small/Medium
Pearl Izumi Elite Cycling Shoe Toe Covers - Black, Small/Medium
Offered by SingletrackBikes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for frozen toes, 15 Oct. 2013
Half way step between frozen toes and full shoe covers. Especially good for short triathlons when you have wet feet, ventilated shoes and no time for socks. Also good for an extra layer under your full shoe covers during winter if you are as coldphobic as I am.

This is actually my second set as I ripped one of my first set trying to use my foot as a brake during a crash.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2015 10:05 AM GMT

Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch
Garmin Swim World Wide Pool Swimming Watch

3.0 out of 5 stars Works but ...., 7 Sept. 2013
OK, so it works, but there are more than a few bugs, and some of them are pretty massive.

I swim a lot of open water, for this it is absolutely useless. If you tell it you are doing drills and manually feed it the distance then it throws away your stroke data, but at least you can dump time and (artificial) distance data to online account. If you tell it you are swimming straight it can't cope at all.

In the pool it is much better. You still need to be doing a fairly clean stroke though. So if you are doing a mixed training set with drills in it becomes useless again. Now you can get round this one a bit by resetting it to drill mode between reps but that gets really tedious, and allows on you having enough energy and awareness between reps to be faffing about in the settings.

If you hit pause it stops recording data other than the time. Ok if you are just resting and you don't want it trying to guess what your arm movements are while you get a drink or lean on poolside, but really annoying if you miss the button, or accidentally press twice, or aren't paying attention to whether it is recording or paused.

To get a a better score from me:
It needs a sensible open water setting.
And it needs an option to upload your session in advance or to just collect the raw data and let you edit each effort afterwards.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2014 10:00 PM BST

Kindle Paperwhite (5th generation), 6" High Resolution Display (212 ppi) with Built-in Light, Wi-Fi

4.0 out of 5 stars Definite upgrade but ...., 6 April 2013
Bought as a replacement for my damaged basic Kindle.

Starting with the bad. I am not a fan of the touchscreen, or the menus, or the removal of the buttons. However I am going to be in a minority there as it is tending towards a more user-friendly GUI. I liked the simple list though and I find the new advertising section "you might also like to read..." is pushy.

The backlight is a huge improvement though, and the battery life is not notably worse. The increase in weight is minimal, but if anything helps make it feel a bit more solid.

At this point I would probably still have given it 5 stars but then there is the fidgeting they have done with the clippings. The new system just doesn't work. They lost 2 years of my clippings when I transferred across from my damaged kindle. That was annoying, but then the new system is just terrible.

In the end I feel it is too big a step from original. It is too much trying to be "more than a book", while forgetting that if I wanted more than a book I would have bought the Fire or an iPad instead.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Lightweight, nicely fitted, 6 April 2013
Nicely fitted shirt. (Bearing in mind I am 6'2" and slim). Quite a light weight material without feeling cheap. It is a little bit darker than the photos, but not a lot. Nice and flexible for use as a formal work shirt or as a casual shirt.

Kiefer Soft Seal Senior Racing Swimming Goggles Aqua Lens/Aqua Frame
Kiefer Soft Seal Senior Racing Swimming Goggles Aqua Lens/Aqua Frame

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty great, 26 Jan. 2013
I would take them over my speedo speed sockets for comfort, and over my head venoms for visibility. But it's a tight call between all three.

Pros:
Clear and very adjustable.
Decent field of view.

Cons:
The dangly elasticated nose piece is fine when swimming but is annoying and ticklish resting between sets. And replacing that with the string and tube makes them uncomfortable over the bridge of the nose. So for me, it was back to the elastic and in the bottom of the bag as spares or for long swims without rests.

Overall it's still the Head Venoms for me on most days though, despite their field of view problems

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5