Profile for Marbles1969 > Reviews

Dolores Claiborne
by Stephen King
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't like the book? Try the recording, 29 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Dolores Claiborne (Audio CD)
With the recent news that Stephen King's own unabridged audiobook recording of DESPERATION is soon to be released at last I was browsing some reviews of the book and came across many comments about it being a bad book. Various reviewers associated it with DOLORES CLAIBORNE and I was really surprised to see how they considered this to be one of his worst books. I am a lazy reader, so enjoy the unabridged Stephen King audio catalogue, which I can listen to during my many hours of driving. DOLORES CLAIBORNE is undoubtedly one of my favourites: I bought the Frances Sternhagen recording on cassette when it was first released and updated this to CD when it became available. I did read the book myself when it was first published and perhaps I can understand why many readers did not immediately "click" with it, its first-person narrative style not being the easiest to read. However, to hear the piece performed by an amazing actress brings the text to life in a way that my own mind couldn't on first reading. For those King fans who have never given this book a second chance I strongly urge you to try this recording, which brings the character and story fully to life.

Pinky & Perky
Pinky & Perky
Offered by Flamingo Lane Music

5.0 out of 5 stars A good new collection, 31 Mar. 2012
This review is from: Pinky & Perky (Audio CD)
The product description claims that this collection is a "best of", which may be a dubious claim to make. However, if you have spent years revisiting the music of Pinky & Perky then this CD is definitely a good addition to the repertoire, providing clean replacements for some of the scratchy old vinyl. It actually collects the tracks from the first three EPs: "Pinky & Perky's Party Sing-Song" (Decca 1959), "Children's Choice with Pinky & Perky" (Columbia 1960) and "Children's Favourites with Pinky & Perky" (Columbia 1961). As far as I'm aware there were sixteen EPs in total, plus a number of singles and nine LPs from the "original" Pinky & Perky. Let's hope there might be some more of these transfers to CD!