Profile for 3 legs > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
The Sunrise
The Sunrise

5.0 out of 5 stars another excellent novel, 11 April 2015
This review is from: The Sunrise (Kindle Edition)
A great historically based novel involving an island I have visited and therefore am familiar with the places mentioned. A well thought out story line which held my interest throughout. Would interest those who like an historically based novel and wish to understand how foreigners end up in Britain. I look forward to Victoria Hislop's next book

Stardust
Stardust

4.0 out of 5 stars an adult fairy story, 12 Mar. 2015
This review is from: Stardust (Kindle Edition)
I enjoyed this story immensely. The interweaving of the separate worlds that the characters live in and the switch of the storyline between them works well. I enjoyed the descriptions of the countryside and the various people. A story which takes one along with it until one just wants to finish the book. I will certainly read another book by the same author.

An Officer and a Spy
An Officer and a Spy

5.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read, 27 Feb. 2015
Not the sort of book that I normally read. I found that the story drew one into it. Both the intrigue of the military and of the main character's personal life contributed to the need to read on. Although interested in historic stories I do not normally choose to read those related to military matters. The time period and country were also unfamiliar to me. I enjoyed the detailed description of areas of France and Tunisia. Also of the characteristics and appearance of the individuals in the story.

The Suspicions of Mr Whicher: or The Murder at Road Hill House
The Suspicions of Mr Whicher: or The Murder at Road Hill House

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and different approach, 9 Feb. 2015
I found this a very interesting and well written insight into the beginnings of the development of the modern detective. I like the reference and quotes from local and national sources written at the time. I was drawn along by the narrative and was reluctant to put the book down. Very sad outcome for many of the characters, but interesting insight into social history of the time

Lamentation (The Shardlake Series Book 6)
Lamentation (The Shardlake Series Book 6)

4.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps I've had a surfeit!, 23 Jan. 2015
I have chosen this rating because I did not think the storyline flowed as well as earlier works. I enjoyed the book and it had "a can't put down factor. I like the descriptions,especially the details of the characters and their surroundings. Enjoyed reading the details of everyday life in London in Tudor times. However, I feel it's time Shardlake retired

The Miniaturist
The Miniaturist

4.0 out of 5 stars A compelling read, 26 Dec. 2014
This review is from: The Miniaturist (Kindle Edition)
If you are interested in historical novels then this is one for you. Set in Amsterdam in the 17th century, it has a slightly off beat plot, which I found fascinating. Also increased my knowledge of that part of the world and its everyday life.

Narrow Dog To Carcassonne
Narrow Dog To Carcassonne

4.0 out of 5 stars From a former narrow boat holiday enthusiast, 14 Oct. 2014
As a former regular holiday maker on narrow boats, I was delighted to read a book about such a challenging journey. I could identify with some of the areas written about in Britain and am amazed that they managed to take the boat across the Channel. Interesting to read their exploits in France and about the dog. A good read.

The Dancing Detective
The Dancing Detective

4.0 out of 5 stars A reasonable introduction to this author, 14 Oct. 2014
I enjoyed reading this novel. Liked the details of the behind scenes dancing studios. Well written, but felt it was a little far fetched as a plot. The detectives seemed to be a chasing around following fairly insubstantial leads. Not sure I would read any more detective novels written by this author. First book by Ann Widdecombe that I have read. Am now likely to try reading some of her other books.

Touching Distance (Jimmy Suttle Book 2)
Touching Distance (Jimmy Suttle Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars I did enjoy reading this follow-up, 23 Aug. 2014
I did enjoy reading this follow-up, but found it less believable than the first book in the series. Partly I think because I read it in small sections and had some problem remembering who all the characters were. I felt the use of the wife's friend in resolving the detective part of the story was a little contrived. Overall an enjoyable read, with a "must finish" factor.

Pergamano 21313 Pintura Orange 22 ml
Pergamano 21313 Pintura Orange 22 ml

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice colour, 13 Aug. 2014
Standard product which I use for parchment. Works well for my purposes

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6