Profile for M. Jenkins > Reviews

Content by M. Jenkins

M. Jenkins "MJ" (N Ireland)

Donegal, Sligo & Leitrim: A Walking Guide
Donegal, Sligo & Leitrim: A Walking Guide
by Adrian Hendroff

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, excellent walking guide!!, 20 Jun. 2012
I'm a late starter to walking, only discovering it when I moved from Scotland to Ireland; and I've now been walking the mountains on Northern Ireland for 2 years now. I've a number of walking books covering various areas and I find they tend to be mostly wordy and in black and white.

That's why this book by Adrian Hendroff is such a welcome addition to my collection - it's in colour. And not just colour, it's lovely and glossy as well - it reminds me of the DK Eyewitness Travel Guide's (and I love these books - so full of information and illustrations - I always take one on holiday with me).

I'll walk through the layout and add my comments.

Initially you have a diagram/map of the area covered, along with markers designating each of the walks in the book. It's so easy to pick it up and identify walks that you can participate in - too often I have to sift through a book to identify the location - here it's right on page 1.

There are a couple of pages of information on walking in Ireland (again I found this useful, not realising the rights of way are different here then in Northern Ireland).

The book then splits in to the four areas - Donegal Inishowen , North Donegal, South Donegal and Sligo and Leitrim. Each of these sections has an information about the area in question - again useful to get an overview for where you may be walking, along with some history as well.

The walks for each area are then presented with a description, start/finish locations and time, as well as a summary map of the walk and area. The description of the walk is comprehensive, although you are expected to think for yourself; you are given grid references and directions to follow, and not given step-by-step directions of how to get to your goal.

The real joy are the photos of the mountains and the landscape - the publishers certainly didn't scrimp with the photo printing - the pages are littered with them, from what I see none of the walking route pages are just text - there's at least one photo on each double page and they really are a joy to look at. He also has a great book "From High Places", which contains more stunning imagery from Ireland (No I'm not in any way related to him - I just enjoy the photographs!).

I've still to read more of this book, however I'm looking forward to it and hopefully there will be more books released in the future detailing more walks.

I'd definitely recommend it, just remember to take your maps and be safe when you are out walking.

Immobility
Immobility
by Brian Evenson

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, but great read., 24 April 2012
This review is from: Immobility (Hardcover)
Got this book when I came home from work - 253 pages later and just after midnight I've finished reading it. I could not put it down. The narrative writing is easy to follow and you are posed questions right from the start. You are not sure exactly what is happening and who is telling the truth or lying. The images of the post-apocalyptic wasteland are memorable, the author's not there to explain every nuance and the reasons for each happening. There's a small cast of characters - that's all that's needed. It's difficult to say any more without spoiling the story. Basically it's a story in the future, about a guy who's lost the use of his legs, has to be transported to an unknown destination on the back of a 'mule' (person), for some unknown reason. The imagery was great - the desolation and location of the story were absolute.

There are so many different ways the ending could go - to be honest I was a little disappointed it did not turn out the way I imagined it, but it was good never the less - hence the 5 stars.

Great read, as the testimony of me reading it in one night shows!

A Boxful of Ghosts 4-Book Boxed Set: Containing: M. R. James's Complete Ghost Stories; Charles Dickens's Ghost Stories (illustrated); Best Ghost Stories; Irish Ghost Stories (Collectors Library)
by M. R. James

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 6 Jun. 2011
Great wee box of books - the size of each one is deceptive, it takes a lot longer than you think to work your way through these books. I've currently just finished the MR James book and have no issues what so ever. Easy to read, convenient size, and the small red book mark / ribbon made a welcome treat. I'd recommend this to anyone - not on to the next book here!

Home Fires
Home Fires
by Gene Wolfe

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story - Not as Confusing as some of his other works!, 6 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Home Fires (Hardcover)
I do like Gene Wolf and have been an avid reader of his for many many years now. There are book's that I'm not particularly fond of, although I've enjoyed (Knight Series). I've enjoyed many others - New Sun / Soldier series. This book is a stand alone novel, with no links to other stories.

It starts off with the home-coming of Chelle (just back from a distant war fighting faceless aliens on a distant world). Skip (the main narrator) resurrects her 'dead' mother as a surprise and then meets her as they're coming off the mothership. After this it really kicks off, with a cruise, pirates, gunfights, explosions, spy's.. I could say more but don't want to spoil any surprises that may appear!

It's a great novel, it's not a sci-fi or fantasy novel, though at a push it would tend to more sci-fi as the tech that is mentioned could be possible at some stage (saying that there is a distinct lack of technology - what with the Earth seemingly being in an energy crisis - the Bullet trains reach the heady speed of 70 kilometers per hour (twice as fast as a car). And the ships all use wind power to move around. I found it very easy to read - each chapter broken up with a smaller chapter there Skip's almost pondering his thoughts, and usually answering questions that you may have had from the previous chapter.

All in all - a very refreshing read. Only took me a few days to get through it and it was complex enough to keep my brain going. Hopefully we'll have a new book out from Gene Wolfe soon.

Hauppauge WINTV MINISTICK HIGH SENSITIVITY DIGITALTV TUNER UK 00294 Components TV Cards

1.0 out of 5 stars Warning, 9 Feb. 2010
Beware, the software is as flakey as hell - constantly crashed my Vista Machine - and when the didital signal in my area improved enough that I decided to reinstall the HW and SW on windows 7 I've now discovered that as I've filed the disk away somewhere in my house (and can't find it!) - I can't reinstall the SW - unless I pay the company for a replacement CD!

What sort of company has this sort of policy in this day and age - checking their website and blogs I see that they remove active posts criticising this policy.

Shame on you Hauppague - I've always used your products - however this is uacceptible and for this lack of suppor I'm giving this mark.