Profile for ASax > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Belkin Pleated Sleeve for iPad - Purple
Belkin Pleated Sleeve for iPad - Purple

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - perfect match for my Ipad3!, 29 Dec. 2012
So there's not much to say about this except that this product is perfect for the Ipad (mine is the New iPad - iPad 3). It is padded enough that if you drop it, the iPad stays protected. A slim pocket in the front is good for tucking in the USB cable and any small papers. Overall very pleased and I have had it just over 3 months now.

Dolores Claiborne
Dolores Claiborne
by Stephen King

5.0 out of 5 stars A superb mystery - one of the best King novels, 29 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Dolores Claiborne (Paperback)
I have to say I am the biggest King fan (and I don't mean that in the creepy 'Misery' sort of way) and I have read almost all of his books, except this one which I recently finished. This book is not the usual Stephen King story of horror but is actually more of a mystery kind of story. And what a story it is. From the first few pages I was totally hooked on the book and found it quite difficult to tear myself away.

The story is told by Dolores St. George (formerly Clairborne) and it starts from the present but goes back into the past to tell the tale of how Dolores got into the situation that she is in currently. The story is gripping and the length of the book seems just right to tell it in.

I think this is one of the best King novels I have ever read and would definitely recommend it!

HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Sim-Free Smartphone
HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio Sim-Free Smartphone

5.0 out of 5 stars Well performing all rounder of a phone, 8 April 2012
I've had this phone for just over 4 months now and am very pleased with it. I had an android phone previous to this one and so am familiar with the way it works. I do find that android is the best system. The phone is light, has a great design and most of all performs really well.

- great design
- ease of use with clearly organised menus
- excellent sensitivity of the screen
- lots of apps available from the android app store
- has a very good camera and video recorder
- high quality play back of videos including those from YouTube
- the gps works really well unlike some other phones I have used in the past
- ease of text input
- large clear screen

The cons:

- I don't have any, honestly, oh wait maybe the included earphones...

As I mentioned above this phone comes with the Beats earphones in a nice red and black colour. The earphones look great but they don't perform very well. Mine keep falling out of my ears and the sound quality is not as good as other earphones I have used.

Apart from the above this phone is absolutely awesome and I would recommend it to others without doubt. It performs well in all essential functions such as phone, text, email and web browsing.

BaByliss 5560GU Elegance 2100W Hair Dryer
BaByliss 5560GU Elegance 2100W Hair Dryer

4.0 out of 5 stars Good overall but a little loud!, 8 April 2012
I have shoulder length thick hair and it usually takes me 10-15 mins to dry my hair with this hair dryer. I think it's a good product and definitely a step up from my previous one which would switch itself off at the highest setting after a couple of minutes.

- 3 heat settings with 2 speeds and a cool shot
- great design
- light to hold
- it leaves my hair with less frizz

The cons:

- the cable is a bit short so you would need to be fairly close to the power socket to be able to use this
- a bit on the noisy side

Overall I do think this is a good product and despite the cons would recommend it. For the price you pay this is a good dryer.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - White
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Earphones - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceeded my expectations,, 8 April 2012
After years of using iPod headphones, I wanted to look for something that had a better sound performance and didn't deafen me! These earphones are perfect. They were recommended to me by a colleague and I'm glad they did.

There are many things that are really great about these earphones, so here goes.

The pros:

- excellent noise cancellation so I can listen to my music at a respectable volume I.e not too loud and still be able to hear the music
- sound quality is good for most music types
- comfortable fit in the ear. The earphones are light enough to be comfortably sitting in the ear without falling out
- simple yet sophisticated design
- protective case

The cons:

- for those who like heavy base would be disappointed with these
- wish I had gone for the black since the white ones get dirty really quickly!
- don't eat anything whilst having these in your ears since you will hear every chew!

Overall I have been really pleased with these earphones and have even bought a pair for a close friend and my brother. My music is varied so I don't mind so much that these don't offer a heavy base etc. I also have a pair of the Beats earphones (worth £100) which perform worse than these because I find them heavy and they keep falling out of my ears. So I think these are far better for me and at a good price too!

HTC Sensation / Sensation XE Meteor Slip Pouch
HTC Sensation / Sensation XE Meteor Slip Pouch
Offered by total digital stores

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for the HTC Sensation XE, 8 April 2012
Having read the previous reviews for this item I thought I would try it for myself. I haven't been disappointed! I've always bought full closing cases in the past so this is my first pouch style case.

This case fits the HTC Sensation really well. The soft inner material protects the screen and the outside protects the phone from scratches from keys etc that are in my bag. The case is not too tight (so easy to remove the phone) but also not loose so that the phone falls out when you flip it upside down.

I am very pleased with the product and would definitely recommend!

Brazil Footprint Handbook (Footprint Travel Guides)
Brazil Footprint Handbook (Footprint Travel Guides)
by Alex Robinson

5.0 out of 5 stars a must-have for those travelling to Brazil, 5 Jan. 2012
I bought this for my holiday in Brazil for two weeks and was not disappointed. This guidebook lays out in detail what there is to see but also provides an honest opinion on whether it is worth seeing those sights. As with all Footprint guides there is in-depth information regarding almost everything you might need to know about the country whilst visiting it. Alongside the sights, the history and cultural sections are good to give you an idea of why regions are the way they are and which areas are good for certain things whilst others for other things.

I found the overall map of Brazil (with a bit of neighbouring countries) useful as a guide to understand where I was in the huge country that is Brazil. However, I never really find the street maps very useful since the zoomed in scale makes it difficult to judge where you are within the city/ area as a whole. I always find it's better to get a city map once there. Also since the size of the book is fairly big (and heavy) it makes sense to have a separate (perhaps foldable) map.

This book was my definitive guide to Brazil and I definitely could not have done without it on my trip. I recommend this to anyone planning to go to Brazil.

Pimsleur Portuguese (Brazilian) Quick & Simple Course - Level 1 Lessons 1-8 CD: Learn to Speak and Understand Brazilian Portuguese with Pimsleur Langu (Pimsleur Quick and Simple)
by Pimsleur
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick and thorough, 1 Nov. 2011
I bought this to learn Portuguese for a recent trip to Brazil. I didn't leave much time for learning so only had a week but it's amazing how much I learnt by doing 2 hours a day (repeating each lesson twice). I was able to converse for basic tourist needs (introductions, asking someone if they speak English, how to ask for directions).

I found this to be really useful and thorough and I would definitely recommend to others. The lessons are clear and set at a good pace to allow comfortable learning. I found that some self-learn sets are too fast. Also the advantage with having them in audio only meant I could listen to them on the tube on my way to work.

The only downside of this is that you don't learn how to read/ write in Portuguese which can be useful if looking for directions etc. However, since I was using it for holiday this suited me just fine.

This is one of the best self-learning language packs and at a great price!

BaByliss 2856DU Pro 200 Purple Nano Straightener
BaByliss 2856DU Pro 200 Purple Nano Straightener

3.0 out of 5 stars Good set of straighteners for travel, 1 Nov. 2011
I bought these to take on a recent holiday. I have shoulder length fairly thick hair. I found these to be too small for my hair (would be fine for shorter/ thinner hair). The plates are far too small which means it takes ages to straighten hair fully (took me an hour). But having said that, they are meant to be for travel.

As a travel straightener they worked well. I had no problems using them on holiday (in Brazil) and their small size meant they took up far less space in my suitcase. They were fairly good in terms of how straight my hair came out although they didn't reduce the frizz which ceramic straighteners reduce.

Overall I am happy with these but I would not recommend them for anything but travel use (unless you have very short hair).

Apple iPod touch 32GB - Black - 4th Generation (Launched Sept 2010)
Apple iPod touch 32GB - Black - 4th Generation (Launched Sept 2010)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great overall but still needs improvement, 1 Sept. 2011
I bought this Ipod not only to replace my existing Ipod nano for music but also so I could use it for its camera, video chat and apps. Some of those perform well but others need a lot of improvement, so below are my pros and cons:

PROS:
- excellent choice of apps from the app store
- apps work flawlessly, never had a problem
- as a music player it performs well
- lots of organisation apps pre-installed such as calendar and notepad
- looks great
- touchscreen is very reactive

CONS:
- wifi pickup is very poor. Unless I am sitting in the same room as the wireless router, the wifi either will not connect or will keep dropping out
- Facetime is not fully developed. It calls a contact despite them being online which means you could be calling someone without them even knowing it. This is very frustrating
- Facetime does not work well unless sitting in close proximity to the wireless router
- Back of the ipod scratches very easily (and this is despite me having it in a case!)

Despite the cons in my review, this is a good product but it could be even better if the Facetime and wireless issues could be resolved.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6