Profile for M.I > Reviews

Content by M.I

M.I (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
PLUSINNO 28 Inch Baseball Bat with Baseball(Aluminum)
PLUSINNO 28 Inch Baseball Bat with Baseball(Aluminum)
Offered by PLUSINNOEU

2.0 out of 5 stars Too small, 10 May 2017
I purchased this for home self defence and....well it's a little on the short side. I assumed 28 inches would be big enough and the bat looked big enough in the photos listed. For a child/junior bat I think this would be fine but for an adult I personally think bigger is better when it comes to challenging anyone in the night! I had to pay £3.99 to return to Amazon as the product wasn't faulty but the upside is there are cheaper baseball bats available so all's not lost.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2017 7:38 AM BST

Six Scary Stories: Selected and Introduced by Stephen King
Six Scary Stories: Selected and Introduced by Stephen King

2.0 out of 5 stars Very good writing but only two stand-out stories, 1 Oct. 2016
This is a collection of short stories collected together and introduced by Stephen King for a competition which was run in late 2015 to coincide with the British release of his short story collection, The Bazaar of Bad Dreams.

The writing in all six featured stories is very good, the stories themselves, however, are definitely a mixed bag. I've given two stars for two stories which I really enjoyed.

Eau-de-Eric and The Unpicking.

Both relate to toys and that's all I'm going to say.

The other story which I thought was okay was The Bear Trap.

The other entries, as stories not as examples of writing, were very poor (given the remit of them being "scary"), particularly the winner - Wild Swimming. There has been some talk that the winner was selected because of the author's background (media background). This book is published by Hodder & Stoughton and the winner's debut book is being published next year by Mulholland Books (an imprint of Hodder & Stoughton). Did one of the "experts" judging the competition have a word in the ear of Mr King for early promotional purposes? I sincerely hope my imagination is paranoid and wayward ;) Maybe a better idea for a future competition would be getting readers to select a final collection rather than "experts" (Stephen King aside) - and for it to be more than six stories. At £1.99 it's priced about right for a Kindle copy. For future paperback and hardback versions at much higher prices this seems very unfair.

iPhone 6 Plus/ 6S Plus Waterproof Case, Comeproof Slim Waterproof iPhone 6 Plus Case, Touch-ID Compatible, Military Shockproof Snow Dust Ditrt Proof, IP68 Waterproof Case for iPhone 6S Plus/ 6 Plus, 5.5in, Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good case but certain points to consider, 24 Jan. 2016
In quick summary I would say that this is a very good case for specific rather than everyday use and there are certain points to consider.

The item is packaged well and comes with a cleaning cloth, a headphone extender and a hand strap which is a nice touch. The instructions are fairly easy-to-follow and there is an initial invitation to test the product’s waterproofing before placing the phone in the case. I conducted this test for 40 minutes and although I did get a little bit of moisture inside, I don’t think it would impact the phone in any detrimental way. Having said that I think I would be more comfortable if the phone was dropped in water accidentally or was being used in a wet/harsh* environment rather than being fully submerged for any length of time.

The case is made from a rigid plastic which feels a little cheap but given the price point of the product seems adequate. In terms of opening up the case I used a coin, as directed in the instructions, and this was fairly easy-to-do though I think over time this may cause some wear-and-tear issues.

Voice-functionality was impacted with the case and perhaps this is understandable given that the phone is sealed up. I did a test phone conversation and the receiver said I sounded slightly muffled. Taking the phone out of the case to receive the call in time wouldn’t be a practical option so this is a definite consideration if you are thinking of purchasing this item.

In terms of practicality, I would say it - again understandably - decreases the iPhone's ease-of-access by virtue of the phone being sealed up. If you are in a wet/harsh* environment, however, this is a definite plus point as protection would be key.

Just to elaborate on my initial summary, I would say that if you are in a wet/harsh* environment and you use the smart-capabilities of your phone (i.e. internet/e-mail/texts) more-so than voice-calls, then this is definitely a product to consider (*by harsh I mean if you were, for example, skiing and wanted to take your phone with you).

Disclaimer: Please note that I received this product from the manufacturer at a discount in exchange for an honest assessment.

Flymo Chevron 34 VC Electric Wheeled Rotary Lawnmower, 1400W
Flymo Chevron 34 VC Electric Wheeled Rotary Lawnmower, 1400W

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy it. Purchased in 2013, within a ..., 22 Mar. 2015
Don't buy it. Purchased in 2013, within a year the motor had burnt out. We got the item repaired under warranty (having done our own research, Flymo never got back to us when we enquired about a repair). Within eight months, the motor had burnt out again.

Put your money towards a slightly more expensive and reliable purchase.

Ravensburger Empire State Building 3D Puzzle
Ravensburger Empire State Building 3D Puzzle

1.0 out of 5 stars Garbage, 9 Oct. 2013
Pieces are fiddly, hard to bend in and keep them held together, very easy to break.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 17, 2013 12:34 PM GMT

Philips HR1617/01 Viva Collection Metal Bar Hand Blender - White/Lilac
Philips HR1617/01 Viva Collection Metal Bar Hand Blender - White/Lilac

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good - if yours overheats, leave it alone for 30 mins..., 25 Sept. 2013
Purchased for chopping and pulsing primarily. Comes in very handy as it's quick and easy. Have chopped veggies quickly and pulsed ingredients to make up burgers/meatballs/sauces.

The unit did stop working while pulsing but, reading on the Phillips website, there is an overheat cut-off inside the unit that should activate if the unit is over-working. The advice is to leave the unit alone for 15 mins, I left it alone for 30 mins (as it still felt warm to touch after 15 mins), replaced the fuse in the plug as a precaution and it's working fine again.

Canon LEGRIA FS46 Camcorder - Black (37x Optical Zoom, 2.7 inch Widescreen LCD)
Canon LEGRIA FS46 Camcorder - Black (37x Optical Zoom, 2.7 inch Widescreen LCD)

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect family camcorder, 29 May 2013
Pros: Small physical size, pocketable, small file sizes, long battery life, 8GB internal memory
Cons: Standard definition recording only

I purchased this camcorder a year or so ago for family videos of my nieces growing up. I was weighing up whether to sell it on and purchase a newer HD camcorder but decided against this in consideration of a number of variables (which I've listed above). Just over a year's worth of family video clips came to about 6 and a half gig storage on my computer and I was able to output it onto DVD with ease (hooked up television to camcorder, played camcorder through television, recorded picture onto my DVD recorder).

The deal-breaker is that a HD camcorder will need to down-convert its image in order to be outputted to a convenient transferable format (i.e. DVD). A down-converted HD image, I imagine, would provide a better standard definition image but then it isn't true HD. Most of the videos of myself growing up have been on VHS, beyond that it was Mini-DV, the video quality of this camera is nowhere near the quality of HD but its good enough for family videos (in my opinion).

If you're looking to make professional films (i.e. short films, corporate films, shorts for the web, coverage of paid events) and/or have edit facilities, definitely look at some of the higher-end HD models. If you're looking to film your kids being silly and having a good time, I think this does the job perfectly!

(additional note, there's different modes of recording, mine is set to the highest - XP, 9Mbps, by comparison a HD Legria records at 12Mbps in XP mode up to 24Mbps in its highest quality mode - considerations would be file size, storage of that file and output options of the file)

Pest Patrol Mini Rat Cage
Pest Patrol Mini Rat Cage

5.0 out of 5 stars Works brilliantly for mice, 20 Oct. 2012
Just caught our first baby mouse, without a mouse-trap. It's a really simple device, highly recommended. The down-side in other reviews has been noted as setting the bait is a bit tricky. I asked for help from another person who held the trap open whilst I set it, took a few seconds and it's worked, now need to take a short drive with said mouse and set it free.

Garmin Nuvi 1440 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps
Garmin Nuvi 1440 5" Sat Nav with UK and Western Europe Maps

2.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended, 30 Jun. 2012
I'm surprised by the many positive reviews. I really wish I hadn't purchased mine but it's a lot of money to spend and sadly I just have to lump it. I agree with one of the more fairer reviews on here of getting to know this GPS's quirks but really I've sworn too many times at it and almost lobbed it out of the car window in frustration. It's really poor.

First and foremost is it is not intuitive. If you're coming up to traffic or want to try a different route, you can "detour", but the detour isn't an alternative route. On my old TomTom, you'd find an alternative route (one of several) and stick to that. With the Garmin, it detours, then puts you back on the original route. Annoying if you want to find an alternative (and stick with that alternative).

Sometimes the navigation isn't clear as to which road/exit to take (something I didn't have a problem with on my TomTom).

UPDATE: Going back to what I said about the unit not being intuitive, I tried to drive from Manchester to Cardiff and the unit wouldn't recognise the postcode! I looked through the settings, tried to work it out, then found the change country button on the navigation screen. CHANGE COUNTRY BUTTON! I needed to change from England to Wales to drive to Cardiff. It should've recognised the postcode in the UK. Another design quirk that once you understand it, it's ok.

On the plus side, the graphics are nice. The voice is good, the photo junctions are a nice touch and the web updates are good.

I started with a TomTom, continued with a TomTom, then fancied a punt. I wish I hadn't and I don't recommend it.

Acase(TM) iPhone 4 and 4S Superleggera PRO Dual Layer Protection (Black/Black) case (Fits iPhone 4 and 4S)
Offered by Euro Direct Home Retail Group

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 24 May 2012
I needed a case that would protect my iPhone's back but still give me full access to the front screen, this works brilliantly. The case comes with plastic protector covers for the headphone and charging sockets. It feels good to handle and is the case I've been looking for (and I've been looking through a lot).

Highly recommended!