Profile for Mr. Kim Brown > Reviews

Mr. Kim Brown

Page: 1 | 2
Afterthoughts
Afterthoughts

5.0 out of 5 stars DON'T buy MP3 album version for 99p. You'll only get one track., 28 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Afterthoughts (MP3 Download)
DON'T buy 'MP3 Album' for 99p like I was stupid enough to do, as you will only get one song - Afterthoughts. The advertising on Amazon is incorrect. Brilliant song though!

Rising
Rising

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning album from Goldray., 10 May 2017
This review is from: Rising (MP3 Download)
I cannot recommend this CD highly enough. It has all the elements of a classic album from the late 60's/early 70's era, which is a massive compliment in my opinion! Nice chunky guitars, plenty of energy, original vocals and a band who know what they are doing - all add up to a fantastic listen. Buy this amazing CD and catch the band on their upcoming UK Tour.

The Legends Live In'71
The Legends Live In'71
Offered by Books-and-Sounds

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ike & Tina Turner Revue are on great form on this concert from 1971, 20 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Legends Live In'71 (Audio CD)
I always go for 'live' material when listening to music, as I think it is where you find out what a band is really capable of. The Ike & Tina Turner Revue are on great form on this concert from 1971. Sound quality is very clear with zero hiss. Tina is on excellent form, as are the band. The only slight down side is Ike's guitar which is a bit weedy sounding and his guitar could do with some fresh strings, as it is a bit 'dead' sounding! At one hour long, the concert is over all too quickly, I could have happily watched another hour. On the DVD the picture is a bit 'blurred' unfortunately. But there is enough going on to forget about the picture quality as Tina and The Ikettes are on energetic form throughout. I would say the Ike & Tina section on the extras CD of the Rolling Stones Get Your Ya Ya's Out Set Deluxe Edition slightly exceeds this concert, so purchase that concert if you can. But the Live in '71 set is still excellent.

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Church [DVD] [NTSC]
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Church [DVD] [NTSC]
Dvd ~ Jimi Hendrix
Offered by Bee-Entertained

3.0 out of 5 stars A lacklustre performance from Jimi and the Experience., 12 Nov. 2015
I hate to criticise anything from Jimi, but this DVD is certainly not one of the better ones. The documentary itself is quite an interesting story, but certainly not something to ever watch more than once. Everyone seems to rate this concert very highly, but I just can't hear what the fuss is about. The band are certainly on an 'off night' in my opinion. Jimi was never any good at hiding his feelings and at Atlanta he looks bored and tired, he also hits numerous bum notes and is out of time occasionally. Mitch isn't particularly together and Billy is, well Billy is Billy (tight enough but no inventiveness which Noel Redding had plenty of). The setlist is good enough. The lighting is extremely poor and the reason for this is explained in the documentary. By far the best concert which was filmed from 1970 was the Rainbow Bridge show, where the band is on top form throughout, but that is not available yet officially, so this will have to do. I have always found the Isle of Wight show particularly watchable, but that could be because of what happened three weeks after it, which gave it a certain poignancy. To sum up, this DVD is well put together, but it's a long way off being a good show from the band.

Rory Gallagher - His Life and Times
Rory Gallagher - His Life and Times
by Marcus Connaughton

3.0 out of 5 stars A very patchy read at best., 25 Sept. 2015
This book started well for me, but got steadily more patchy the more I read. The early years of Rory's career, particularly the Taste years are quite thorough and incredibly interesting. As we get into the seventies, Marcus seems to miss out entire years of Rory's life! I seem to remember there was no mention of what Rory did in the whole of 1973 for instance. The in depth sections discussing the entire lives of obscure 20's blues musicians were of no interest to me - I tried to read them, but I struggled to find much of a connection through to Rory, apart from a 'blues' connection obviously. Consequently I skipped these sections altogether. The photographs are fantastic (as mentioned in other reviews) and these are worth buying the book for on its own. Rory was such a private man that I don't think we'll ever get a comprehensive biography of his life. Ever his brother Donal, admitted he didn't really know Rory. Occasionally this books reads like a boring list of album tracks, what year they were recorded, followed by a list of tour dates which isn't how a biography should be. Buy this book to read once maybe and occasionally look at the photographs. Disappointing.

Virgin Media TiVo Remote Control
Virgin Media TiVo Remote Control
Offered by Hyper Tech Direct

3.0 out of 5 stars Will not work properly with some televisions., 24 April 2015
Reasonable product, but as mentioned above, the mute and volume controls won't work. There are some very long winded tips on the Virgin website about how to get these controls to work but the information is useless. The code I am supposed to type in has four digits and the controller will only let me type in three, so that idea is useless. The second option, we can type in our make of t.v, but as I expected my model of t.v isn't on the list, it is a Samsung t.v, but this particular Samsung is not on the list, so my controller can never be used to control volume. I'm sure I will get used to having to use a separate controller to control volume, but it is still annoying and disappointing.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2016 10:16 PM GMT

Video-2-PC DIY Video Capture Kit. For Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista & XP. Links your VCR or Camcorder to the USB port on your PC. Copy, Convert, Transfer: VHS, Video-8, VHS-C, Hi8, Digital8, & MiniDV video tapes to digital format H.264, MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 & uncompressed AVI files & burn to DVD. Tested with Windows 10, 8.1 & Windows 7 32 & 64 bit, Vista & XP. 14 day refund offer if not completely delighted.
Offered by ConvertStuffUKShop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Check for compatibility before buying., 24 April 2015
I ordered this item to convert videos to DVD files. Firstly my computer would not read the included DVD containing the software and instructions. Tim kindly emailed me these once I got in touch with him. Unfortunately the tutorial DVD bears no relation to what appears on screen, so the tutorial DVD is useless for my computer. My only solution was to read the enclosed written instructions instead. Oh dear me - six pages of complex installation instructions which I cannot follow at all, they really are computer expert stuff. I can only assume my laptop is not compatible. This item has left me in tears of frustration and utterly disappointed. My laptop is also grinding to a stand still and continually crashing. I think as long as this item is compatible with your system it will be fine, but it is certainly not fine on my Windows 7 laptop. My search for converting my videos to DVD continues.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2015 2:33 PM BST

Calvary [DVD] [2014]
Calvary [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Brendan Gleeson
Offered by MusicnMedia

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor movie. The reviews in the media had me ..., 10 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Calvary [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Very poor movie. The reviews in the media had me really excited about this movie. It was a jumbled mess of a film from a few minutes in unfortunately, Brendan looked lost to me, like he didn't want to be in this movie. It has a 'made for t.v.' feel to it with a b-movie messy plot and b-movie acting. The villains are complete pantomime. Also, this is supposed to be a black comedy, I didn't smile once, not even nearly! Don't waste your time watching this, try In Bruges for a brilliant Brendan Gleeson movie.

Live At Woodstock [DVD] [2010]
Live At Woodstock [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Jimi Hendrix

2.0 out of 5 stars Jimi's most overated performance., 19 April 2014
Woodstock has built up a mythical reputation over the last 45 years and rightly so. Jimi's performance has also built up a mythical reputation . . . one which it certainly doesn't deserve unfortunately. The setlist has some fantastic tunes, but the songs are played so badly by Billy Cox on bass and particularly Larry Lee on guitar, that this DVD is a lot of the time cringe-worthy and unlistenable. Mitch is okay on drums, but he admitted himself that he had cold hands at 6.30a.m in the morning and wasn't at his best that day.

When Jimi is good on this DVD he is amazing, but for most of the gig he is clearly worried about keeping Billy and Larry in check, as he is constantly having to look across and direct the songs to them. Foxy Lady has the awful out of tune guitar from Larry Lee banging away all the way through the song, it is so bad, it is laughable! (Why did Jimi feel he needed a rhythm guitar player I wonder?!!) Star Spangled Banner is the masterpiece you've all heard about, say no more on that.

To sum up this DVD, visually it is stunning and one of only a few Hendrix concerts filmed in daylight. Consequently the picture is crisp and clear. The sound is great, but an option to turn off Larry Lee's guitar would be welcome. The extras are worth a look, but probably won't be watched more than once or twice.

If you are new to Jimi Hendrix, go straight to the Live at Monterey DVD as that is his best performance captured on film. If the Woodstock performance was your first experience of seeing Jimi Hendrix, you couldn't be blamed for wondering what all the fuss was about.

Gravity [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Gravity [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ George Clooney

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe the Hype., 28 Feb. 2014
Sometimes a film gets so hyped up, that it can never be as good as expected. Gravity falls into this category. My main worry before I saw the film was that Sandra Bullock is not a good enough actor to carry a film, and so it proved, she isn't strong enough in Gravity by a long way. George Clooney can only play 'George Clooney', so I had written him off completely anyway before the film even started. As stated in nearly every review, Gravity is technically excellent, but films need something else too. For me, the music was the strongest aspect of the film, it really gives an ordinary film some suspense. Ironically, I haven't heard anyone comment on the score. The 3D added nothing for me, it has just the same impact in 2D (I watched the film again on DVD to see if it got any better on second viewing. It didn't). To sum up, the film is worth seeing for the spectacle, but don't expect a quality plot or quality acting.

Page: 1 | 2