Profile for Mr. Kim Brown > Reviews

Mr. Kim Brown

Page: 1 | 2
The Legends Live In'71
The Legends Live In'71

4.0 out of 5 stars The Ike & Tina Turner Revue are on great form on this concert from 1971, 20 Dec. 2015
This review is from: The Legends Live In'71 (Audio CD)
I always go for 'live' material when listening to music, as I think it is where you find out what a band is really capable of. The Ike & Tina Turner Revue are on great form on this concert from 1971. Sound quality is very clear with zero hiss. Tina is on excellent form, as are the band. The only slight down side is Ike's guitar which is a bit weedy sounding and his guitar could do with some fresh strings, as it is a bit 'dead' sounding! At one hour long, the concert is over all too quickly, I could have happily watched another hour. On the DVD the picture is a bit 'blurred' unfortunately. But there is enough going on to forget about the picture quality as Tina and The Ikettes are on energetic form throughout. I would say the Ike & Tina section on the extras CD of the Rolling Stones Get Your Ya Ya's Out Set Deluxe Edition slightly exceeds this concert, so purchase that concert if you can. But the Live in '71 set is still excellent.

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Church [DVD]
Jimi Hendrix Experience: Electric Church [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jimi Hendrix

3.0 out of 5 stars A lacklustre performance from Jimi and the Experience., 12 Nov. 2015
I hate to criticise anything from Jimi, but this DVD is certainly not one of the better ones. The documentary itself is quite an interesting story, but certainly not something to ever watch more than once. Everyone seems to rate this concert very highly, but I just can't hear what the fuss is about. The band are certainly on an 'off night' in my opinion. Jimi was never any good at hiding his feelings and at Atlanta he looks bored and tired, he also hits numerous bum notes and is out of time occasionally. Mitch isn't particularly together and Billy is, well Billy is Billy (tight enough but no inventiveness which Noel Redding had plenty of). The setlist is good enough. The lighting is extremely poor and the reason for this is explained in the documentary. By far the best concert which was filmed from 1970 was the Rainbow Bridge show, where the band is on top form throughout, but that is not available yet officially, so this will have to do. I have always found the Isle of Wight show particularly watchable, but that could be because of what happened three weeks after it, which gave it a certain poignancy. To sum up, this DVD is well put together, but it's a long way off being a good show from the band.

Rory Gallagher - His Life and Times
Rory Gallagher - His Life and Times
by Marcus Connaughton

3.0 out of 5 stars A very patchy read at best., 25 Sept. 2015
This book started well for me, but got steadily more patchy the more I read. The early years of Rory's career, particularly the Taste years are quite thorough and incredibly interesting. As we get into the seventies, Marcus seems to miss out entire years of Rory's life! I seem to remember there was no mention of what Rory did in the whole of 1973 for instance. The in depth sections discussing the entire lives of obscure 20's blues musicians were of no interest to me - I tried to read them, but I struggled to find much of a connection through to Rory, apart from a 'blues' connection obviously. Consequently I skipped these sections altogether. The photographs are fantastic (as mentioned in other reviews) and these are worth buying the book for on its own. Rory was such a private man that I don't think we'll ever get a comprehensive biography of his life. Ever his brother Donal, admitted he didn't really know Rory. Occasionally this books reads like a boring list of album tracks, what year they were recorded, followed by a list of tour dates which isn't how a biography should be. Buy this book to read once maybe and occasionally look at the photographs. Disappointing.

VIRGIN MEDIA TIVO REMOTE CONTROL
VIRGIN MEDIA TIVO REMOTE CONTROL
Offered by Gagets4u

3.0 out of 5 stars Will not work properly with some televisions., 24 April 2015
Reasonable product, but as mentioned above, the mute and volume controls won't work. There are some very long winded tips on the Virgin website about how to get these controls to work but the information is useless. The code I am supposed to type in has four digits and the controller will only let me type in three, so that idea is useless. The second option, we can type in our make of t.v, but as I expected my model of t.v isn't on the list, it is a Samsung t.v, but this particular Samsung is not on the list, so my controller can never be used to control volume. I'm sure I will get used to having to use a separate controller to control volume, but it is still annoying and disappointing.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 18, 2016 10:16 PM GMT

Video-2-PC DIY Video Capture Kit. For Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista & XP. Links your VCR or Camcorder to the USB port on your PC. Copy, Convert, Transfer: VHS, Video-8, VHS-C, Hi8, Digital8, & MiniDV video tapes to digital format H.264, MPEG, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 & uncompressed AVI files & burn to DVD. Tested with Windows 10, 8.1 & Windows 7 32 & 64 bit, Vista & XP. 14 day refund offer if not completely delighted.
Offered by ConvertStuffUKShop.

1.0 out of 5 stars Check for compatibility before buying., 24 April 2015
I ordered this item to convert videos to DVD files. Firstly my computer would not read the included DVD containing the software and instructions. Tim kindly emailed me these once I got in touch with him. Unfortunately the tutorial DVD bears no relation to what appears on screen, so the tutorial DVD is useless for my computer. My only solution was to read the enclosed written instructions instead. Oh dear me - six pages of complex installation instructions which I cannot follow at all, they really are computer expert stuff. I can only assume my laptop is not compatible. This item has left me in tears of frustration and utterly disappointed. My laptop is also grinding to a stand still and continually crashing. I think as long as this item is compatible with your system it will be fine, but it is certainly not fine on my Windows 7 laptop. My search for converting my videos to DVD continues.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 24, 2015 2:33 PM BST

Calvary [DVD] [2014]
Calvary [DVD] [2014]
Dvd ~ Brendan Gleeson

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poor movie. The reviews in the media had me ..., 10 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Calvary [DVD] [2014] (DVD)
Very poor movie. The reviews in the media had me really excited about this movie. It was a jumbled mess of a film from a few minutes in unfortunately, Brendan looked lost to me, like he didn't want to be in this movie. It has a 'made for t.v.' feel to it with a b-movie messy plot and b-movie acting. The villains are complete pantomime. Also, this is supposed to be a black comedy, I didn't smile once, not even nearly! Don't waste your time watching this, try In Bruges for a brilliant Brendan Gleeson movie.

Jimi Hendrix: Live At Woodstock [DVD] [2010]
Jimi Hendrix: Live At Woodstock [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Jimi Hendrix

2.0 out of 5 stars Jimi's most overated performance., 19 April 2014
Woodstock has built up a mythical reputation over the last 45 years and rightly so. Jimi's performance has also built up a mythical reputation . . . one which it certainly doesn't deserve unfortunately. The setlist has some fantastic tunes, but the songs are played so badly by Billy Cox on bass and particularly Larry Lee on guitar, that this DVD is a lot of the time cringe-worthy and unlistenable. Mitch is okay on drums, but he admitted himself that he had cold hands at 6.30a.m in the morning and wasn't at his best that day.

When Jimi is good on this DVD he is amazing, but for most of the gig he is clearly worried about keeping Billy and Larry in check, as he is constantly having to look across and direct the songs to them. Foxy Lady has the awful out of tune guitar from Larry Lee banging away all the way through the song, it is so bad, it is laughable! (Why did Jimi feel he needed a rhythm guitar player I wonder?!!) Star Spangled Banner is the masterpiece you've all heard about, say no more on that.

To sum up this DVD, visually it is stunning and one of only a few Hendrix concerts filmed in daylight. Consequently the picture is crisp and clear. The sound is great, but an option to turn off Larry Lee's guitar would be welcome. The extras are worth a look, but probably won't be watched more than once or twice.

If you are new to Jimi Hendrix, go straight to the Live at Monterey DVD as that is his best performance captured on film. If the Woodstock performance was your first experience of seeing Jimi Hendrix, you couldn't be blamed for wondering what all the fuss was about.

Gravity [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Gravity [Blu-ray 3D + Blu-ray] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ George Clooney

3.0 out of 5 stars Don't Believe the Hype., 28 Feb. 2014
Sometimes a film gets so hyped up, that it can never be as good as expected. Gravity falls into this category. My main worry before I saw the film was that Sandra Bullock is not a good enough actor to carry a film, and so it proved, she isn't strong enough in Gravity by a long way. George Clooney can only play 'George Clooney', so I had written him off completely anyway before the film even started. As stated in nearly every review, Gravity is technically excellent, but films need something else too. For me, the music was the strongest aspect of the film, it really gives an ordinary film some suspense. Ironically, I haven't heard anyone comment on the score. The 3D added nothing for me, it has just the same impact in 2D (I watched the film again on DVD to see if it got any better on second viewing. It didn't). To sum up, the film is worth seeing for the spectacle, but don't expect a quality plot or quality acting.

The Hendrix Experience
The Hendrix Experience
by John Platt

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book on Jimi Hendrix by a long way., 31 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Hendrix Experience (Paperback)
I enjoyed this book when originally released in 1990, but then I was only 18 years old back then! I have just re-read it and it has left me very disappointed. The biggest plus with this book are the photographs. There are lots of beautiful pictures which I've not seen in any other books. The pictures are often given the wrong place or year, but a good picture is a good picture I suppose.

Mitch Mitchell comes across well in his book, but he doesn't seem to be able to recall many details of his time with Jimi at all. He often says, 'I can't remember' or 'I'm not sure', which is annoying to the reader. Each year is only given a few pages and I felt thoroughly short changed by the end, and was left thinking, 'is that it?' There are a few nice anecdotes, but nowhere near enough. His memories of the night before Jimi died are quite interesting, but again breezed over far too quickly.

The book will be of interest to the serious Jimi Hendrix fan, if only to read the once, but I would certainly look elsewhere for a more comprehensive read on Jimi, although I am not sure where, as a definitive book on Jimi Hendrix has yet to be written in my opinion.

Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin' [DVD] [2013]
Jimi Hendrix: Hear My Train A Comin' [DVD] [2013]
Dvd ~ Bob Smeaton

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying for the bonus footage., 25 Dec. 2013
I won't say much about the actual documentary on this DVD, apart from the fact that it is worth watching once and is the usual documentary fayre.

The fans, like myself, are buying this DVD for the bonus footage and it is definitely worth buying for these clips. My only problem with the bonus footage is that the Miami Pop Festival clips have been 'chopped' down from 4:3 aspect ratio into 16:9. This does spoil viewing the footage somewhat, as Jimi and Noel's heads are often 'chopped off' while watching the footage. The other bonus footage on the DVD has been left in 4:3, so I can't understand why the Miami clips have been tampered with. Shame.

The New York Pop clips are great with slightly grainy quality, but this does not spoil the viewing of them.

The Fehmarn clips were a revelation to me, as I never knew there were any good quality video clips from this show. The colour is great and the sound is better than some bootlegs circulating from this show. There does seem to be slightly more footage of the crowd than of Jimi unfortunately, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the Fehmarn clips, as I think this show was one of the strongest from the 1970 European Tour.

The clip of Purple Haze from March 1967 is fantastic! Not the best quality picture, but still a brilliant clip and one which I don't think has been in circulation at all I don't think.

So, if you're a true Jimi Hendrix fan, buy this DVD for the bonus footage, you won't be disappointed.

Page: 1 | 2