Profile for J. D. Horton > Reviews

Content by J. D. Horton

J. D. Horton

Page: 1 | 2
Flylinktech 18V 5.0Ah Lithium-Ion Coolpack Battery Replacement for Bosch BAT609 BAT610G BAT618G BAT620 and More Other Bosch 18 V Li-ion Cordless Tools
Offered by LIANTECH COOLING

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits like a glove, runs for ages and cost less than Bosch's own 4ah unit. Sold!, 17 July 2017
bought this to go with my 18v circular saw and I was a little concerned as the unit usually goes with a 4ah pack and there was talk of batteries not fitting. But! It fits like a glove, runs for ages and cost less than Bosch's own 4ah unit. Sold!

The Long Home
The Long Home
by William Gay

5.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't read William Gay... start here, 14 Aug. 2016
This review is from: The Long Home (Paperback)
Hopefully readers will query the poor average review (due to a poor Kindle edition) and read this masterpiece. If you've already read him, this won't be an issue - like me you'll be hunting down everything he wrote. If you haven't... start here, with his first novel.

I think this one might be better than Provinces of Night, and that's saying something. A gritty, page turning plot of dirty dealing in the mid 19th c., the places and elements described in breathtakingly poetic prose, and dialogue so delightfully authentic you'll find yourself repeating it out loud. I only wish he'd written more.

Plemo 15-15.6 Inch Laptop Sleeve Case Denim Fabric Bag for MacBook Pro / 15.6-Inch Laptops / Notebook, Light Blue
Offered by PLEMO UK

3.0 out of 5 stars I guess I should have read the description better, as this fits laptops up to 15, 8 April 2016
I bought this for my Macbook Pro 15" Retina display. I guess I should have read the description better, as this fits laptops up to 15.6" - in other words it's a bit too big for my Macbook. It's beautifully made and offers great padding so definitely worth 5 stars IF you have a bigger laptop or a big laptop compartment in your luggage! But it barely fits into my bag so definitely bear this in mind. I will probably end up getting a snug neoprene sleeve.

Chuckit Ultra Ball M 2-Pack
Chuckit Ultra Ball M 2-Pack
Offered by The Pet Superstore

2.0 out of 5 stars 1 day. That's how long it took my dog to destroy this ball., 5 Oct. 2014
1 day. That's how long it took my dog to destroy this ball. Or, more specifically, 15 minutes of post-fetch chewing. Rocky is a Staffy Rotty mix and so he's got a solid set of jaws on him, but surely it's possible to make a ball that can take it? Pretty gutted as the balls are good and bouncy and had great reviews.

The Chalice and the Blade
The Chalice and the Blade
by Riane Eisler

5.0 out of 5 stars mindblowing re-evaluation of humanity, 7 May 2014
Before I read this, there were certain things I thought I 'knew' about humanity: that we are violent. that the strong will always dominate the weak. that men have always ruled over women.

Starting at the very dawn of human civilisation, using solid research, this book tells a very different story. It's a sad story of cruelty and repression and missed opportunities, but ultimately a positive one that teaches us we don't have to live like this, we are not slaves to a cruel nature. We just need to bring the partnership back into balance.

Wilson
Wilson
by David Mamet

1.0 out of 5 stars Put-downable, 24 April 2013
This review is from: Wilson (Paperback)
LIke most, I snapped this up as a fan of Mamet's films and his fantastic insider's guide to Hollywood, Bambi vs Godzilla. Unfortunately I didn't read the reviews in my haste to read it. Every page is practically impenetrable. The premise, that historians create ever stranger versions of history based on remaining random scraps of source material, is a good one. But the way it's written is just like a painfully unfunny joke that never ends. I made it through ten pages, then skipped through the remainder to see if there was hope. There wasn't.
Avoid.

Speaker For The Dead: Book 2 in the Ender Saga
Speaker For The Dead: Book 2 in the Ender Saga
by Orson Scott Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Epic Ender, 30 Sept. 2012
I was a little bit sceptical about the 2nd book being as good as the first: how could it? It's a more complex storyline, but oh so more rewarding for it. I wish everyone would read this book. It is profound, it is moving, it is beautiful. But try explaining that to non-SF fans. "It's set on a distant human settlement far into the future with little aliens called Piggies and the Hive Queen talks to them and Ender was the child who saved humankind except they hate him for it now and... oh? You'll stick with Captain Corelli's Mandolin?

Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships
Games People Play: The Psychology of Human Relationships
by Eric Berne

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Eye Opener, 8 May 2011
I loved this book. Simple introduction to some fascinating psychological principles. No psychology background needed, just a healthy interest in what makes us tick. I understand myself and others around me so much more clearly now.

Archos Key Digital MP3 Player
Archos Key Digital MP3 Player

3.0 out of 5 stars gets the job done for the right price, 28 Jun. 2010
I have a habit of losing mp3 players, which means that a) I need to buy cheap ones and b) I've tried a few out by now. The Archos is definitely a good deal: it comes with decent headphones, has good battery life, is simple to use and the usb connection is handy. it's also well made/not flimsy (so far so good). I haven't used the voice record, FM radio and mini SD functions yet, but they are good to have.

On the negative side, it doesn't have a dedicated volume control, so you have to toggle from the FF/rewind buttons - a bit fiddly. The buttons don't respond on one push, you usually have to press twice to get a reaction. there is no hold/lock button either. Finally, it's pretty slow generally, from startup speed to navigation to FForward response.

Overall, a decent little player with all the important stuff working right, and definitely a good option at this price point.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 23, 2010 12:24 PM BST

Intenso 3601450 4GB Music Walker MP3 Player
Intenso 3601450 4GB Music Walker MP3 Player

2.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but not cheerful, 20 Jun. 2010
If you're really on a budget, then this is a fair-enough buy. But if you have a bit more to spend... spend it on something that a) has a built-in rechargeable battery and b) isn't painfully slow to operate.

Page: 1 | 2