Profile for N. Kirkby > Reviews

N. Kirkby (London, UK)

Down On The Upside
Down On The Upside

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbearably poignant, 19 May 2017
This review is from: Down On The Upside (Audio CD)
This has always been my favourite Soundgarden album. With Chris' death this week I have been listening to it a lot and the themes and lyrics feel devastatingly close to how things ended up. A truly great and often overlooked record.

Trial by Ice (A Star Too Far Book 1)
Trial by Ice (A Star Too Far Book 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent so far, 17 Dec. 2013
I'm only six chapters in but I think this is a great read. I like the world-building which is convincing and detailed without being burdensome - such as the small details like descriptions of the kit and gear the survivors use to stay alive; the ranks and military structure they operate in and so on.

I'm looking forward to finishing this book, and hope to adjust my rating to five stars!

There are a couple of inconsistencies and typos in the text, which is entirely unsurprising in a self-published work of this scale. They haven't got in the way of my reading the book at all.

Sigh No More
Sigh No More

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic ... but in danger of getting overplayed, 21 April 2010
This review is from: Sigh No More (MP3 Download)
I really really love this album. I couldn't stop listening to it for weeks after I bought it. I think its really an extraordinary record from brilliant band.

I also think its fantastic that they've made it so big with their first album, but this sort of success always comes with a flip side, and I'm now getting sick of hearing The Cave or Winter Winds on the radio... which is really a position I don't want to find myself in!

Good luck to the band and I really really hope that their meteoric rise doesn't put too much pressure on their next effort.

And Then We Saw Land
And Then We Saw Land
Offered by skyvo-direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Not my favourite but very good nonetheless., 21 April 2010
This review is from: And Then We Saw Land (Audio CD)
Tunng's fourth album felt long overdue. I've been following the band since Comments of the Inner Chorus was released, and loved it all.

There is some very different stuff here from This is Tunng - Mother's Daughter and Other Songs and Comments. This feels like a continuation of some of the trajectories in Good Arrows. I like it a lot, although it doesn't appeal to me quite as much as the earlier stuff.

But then, if they stayed in the same groove with each new record then it would get boring wouldn't it?