Profile for Robbo > Reviews

Content by Robbo

Robbo

Gordon Jacob - Complete Music for Viola & Orchestra
Gordon Jacob - Complete Music for Viola & Orchestra
Offered by Vocalion/Dutton Epoch Direct (Crazygreen8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Gordon Jacob Viola Music, 28 Aug. 2012
I very much welcome the huge amount of British 20th century music becoming available on CD and I collect most of it. I always look beyond the major composers towards the many others that were active and contributing to the milieu of a period that interests me. This CD is particularly up my street as I love viola and was not disappointed by the works included here. The performances are excellent and you can expect faultless recording from Dutton. I've nearly got enough viola music now for a themed weekend of British Viola music!

Debussy: Complete Orchestral Works (Naxos: 8.509002)
Debussy: Complete Orchestral Works (Naxos: 8.509002)

4.0 out of 5 stars Debussy Complete Orchestral Works, 28 Aug. 2012
This 9-CD boxed set is a wonderful addition to my collection - and includes the familiar works he composed for orchestra as well as unfamiliar orchestrations of a lot of his piano music like the Preludes. If you are a completist don't hesitate just buy it! The CDs are package in a robust and elegant card box - its a bit odd that the CDs only about half fill it so it takes up more shelf space than needed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 8, 2017 9:20 AM BST