Profile for Chris Thrall > Reviews

Milk-Blood: Growing up the son of a convicted drug trafficker
Milk-Blood: Growing up the son of a convicted drug trafficker
by Adrian Simon

5.0 out of 5 stars The View from Here ..., 8 Jun. 2017
Anyone who's picked up a backpack since the 90s will have heard of the 'Damage Done', the story of Warren Fellows, who served twelve years for drug smuggling in Thailand's toughest prison . Well, 'Milk Blood' is written by his son, Adrian Simon, and is a amazing story in itself but one that also adds the degree of balance to his father's book, namely filling in some important back ground. Adrian is a likeable narrator and it is all credit to him that he has grown up as such a well-balanced individual and has written this riveting account. It is the only full-length book I've read in one sitting.

Chris Thrall is an adventurer and author of the memoir "Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Crystal Meth Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland"

Downhill From Here: Running From John O'Groats to Land's End
Downhill From Here: Running From John O'Groats to Land's End
by Gavin Boyter

5.0 out of 5 stars An upbeat account of a ‘downhill’ challenge, 8 Jun. 2017
This gem of a read has interest for everyone. It will appeal to those who have made a five-kilometre jog the limit of their running experience as well as those aspiring to run distance – particularly the length of the country itself. Those who enjoy living their adventures vicariously from the comfort of an armchair and who may have never given the sport a second thought will also appreciated its page-turning grip.
A rich vein of wonderful and quirkily descriptive English flows from Gavin’s Scottish pen like a seasoned wordsmith. He places you so firmly into his running shoes that as someone in preparation to complete the challenge myself I was actually a little disappointed – because thanks to Gavin’s exciting, detailed and inclusive narrative I feel like I’ve run it already and have to do it all again! In truth, alongside Gavin’s clever observations, ever-present sense of humour and self-deprecating wit, there’s a wealth of winning detail, from planning and navigating the route, to booking accommodation, liaising with support vehicles, which kit to take and what to fuel your body with.
‘Downhill from Here’ is not pitched to the wannabe-macho somewhat naïve audience that lap up over-hyped nonsense. You won’t see our ‘hero’ surmount impossible odds or breakthrough a superhuman-pain threshold and the barriers of endurance while achieving a cheering mass of mere mortal followers struggling to keep up with his momentous pace in the Rocky Balboa-style. Gavin not only tells you of his personal history, shortcomings and motivation but also – and quite often! – how not to go about running from John O’ Groats to Land’s End. Candidly, he retells how he loses his way on many occasions, which has you shivering on top of a Pennine Peak clad in a pair of shorts with him or up to your neck, camera equipment held aloft, attempting to ford a bitterly cold river. You can expect the police and the goodwill of strangers, hikers, pub landlords and farmers to help our protagonist on his way on more than one occasion.
And how delighted was I to find that after running with Gavin for less than half a day (when his 1117-mile route passed twenty miles from my home) and being treated to a meal for my efforts, he went on to include a couple of pages about my own life story along with a photo which makes for a great souvenir. Gavin is honest and generous, an accomplished writer (and filmmaker) and a credit to the long-distance or ‘ultra’ running community. This book makes for a seminal text with respect to ‘running’ that most British of British endeavours, the JOGTLE.

To Love An Alcoholic: Helping a Loved One Overcome Addiction
To Love An Alcoholic: Helping a Loved One Overcome Addiction

5.0 out of 5 stars Sound advice, 23 May 2017
Extremely sound advice for those looking to support a loved one affected by alcohol addiction while avoiding some of the common mistakes

Daughter, Disappeared
Daughter, Disappeared

5.0 out of 5 stars Nightmare in North Africa, 8 Nov. 2016
Fiona MacBain has to be the hottest new writer on the block. I don’t usually get into fiction – ironic being a thriller writer myself – as I can’t get it out of my mind that it’s made up – but not in this case! I haven’t been able to put this exceptionally well written novel down, so much so I was an hour late into my office this morning as I had to know how it would end! The story starts when Jane finds a note from her teenage daughter Anna, saying she’s gone to the popular tourist destination of Tunisia to try to find the father she’s never met. We then have a mystery that switches, seamlessly, between 1994 and present day, so well narrated that all the clues are there right in front of your face, but you’re NEVER going to get it! I’m saying no more. I bought this book for sentimental reasons (I wrote my first novel while on holiday in Tunisia) not expecting much as I read a lot of first-time writers, what I got instead is a wildly clever ride written by a superb author I feel I’ve personally ‘discovered’ and whom I can’t wait to read a follow-up novel from. Really well done, Fiona MacBain. Next book, please!

Chris Thrall is the author of the bestselling memoir `Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Crystal Meth Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland’ and ‘The Drift’ and ‘The Trade’, the first two thrillers in the Hans Larsson adventure series.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2016 11:24 PM GMT

Beneath the Wall of Wonders
Beneath the Wall of Wonders

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 1 Aug. 2016
Wow, James Trimboli is a man of many talents and writing is certainly one of them! I thoroughly enjoyed this book right from the start, which hooked me in with a delightful style that reminded me of Roald Dahl. It's such an easy flowing read, the kind you can happily relax on a weekend and get lost in the clever story line. Looking forward to more from James.

Soft Shells (The Mind Never Dies Book 1)
Soft Shells (The Mind Never Dies Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft Shell - Hard Core, 28 July 2016
One of the most stunning intros to a book I've ever read. A real dreamscape in which I almost forgot I was reading and became the character Chris himself. I was reminded of the late Iain M. Banks meets Ian Flemming's James Bond - an accolade not an accusation! To unveil any more of this excellent book would do an injustice to the author. Read it. You won't be dissapointed.

Going All The Way: Volume 2 (Bootneck Threesome)
Going All The Way: Volume 2 (Bootneck Threesome)
by Mark Time

5.0 out of 5 stars Time ... and Time again, 23 July 2016
Mark Time is a fantastic writer who has written a follow up to 'Going Commando' that not only lifts the lid on the mad and mental high jinks of a Royal Marine troop preparing to go to war, but also a darker enemy, a black cloud that often hovers over Mark's life. He explains it to the audience in words that put us in his shoes. It's rawer than raw, for the most part hilarious and probably the most eye-opening book on the Royal Marines you're ever going to find.

Chris Thrall is a former Royal Marines Commando and the author of the bestselling memoir `Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Crystal Meth Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland' and 'The Drift' and 'The Trade', books 1 & 2 in the Hans Larsson adventure series.

Breakfast In Bimini (Trouble in Paradise Book 1)
Breakfast In Bimini (Trouble in Paradise Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Uga-Buga!, 14 July 2016
The thing I loved about this book is that it took me on an exciting ocean-going adventure – the sort of I used to read about as a kid and the kind I’m lucky enough to have experienced as an adult. On top of that, Sierra has the gift of storytelling and a deeply clever mind, weaving in a subplot surrounding a mysterious ancient artifact - writing what she knows, which is the best kind of writing. I’m not even going to say anymore, except crack a beer – or a bottle of rum – and jump aboard with Rave and Lucas for a thoroughly entertaining journey!

Chris Thrall is the author of the bestselling memoir `Eating Smoke: One Man's Descent into Crystal Meth Psychosis in Hong Kong's Triad Heartland' and the Hans Larsson adventure series.

According to The Daily Mail: The audacious sabotage of tacky tabloid newspapers and trashy TV

5.0 out of 5 stars The Daily Fail ..., 18 Jun. 2016
What a gem of a find! I won't repeat the storyline as other reviews have covered that. Just to say it's great to find a book in your hands that imediately clicks with you. So well written. Laurence has a keen eye for the failures of a doomed society and a great way of putting that across to the reader. Next book please!

50 Great Cocktail Recipes
50 Great Cocktail Recipes

5.0 out of 5 stars Movers and shakers!, 12 Jun. 2016
What an absolute gem! A little history behind the drink and then - Wow! - away you go into 50 delightfully exotic drinks with clearcut instructions. I feel my hosting skills have gone up several notches and I only wish I'd found a book like this twenty years ago!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4