Profile for elainefp > Reviews

Content by elainefp

elainefp "redfox24"

Morphy Richards 48822 Soupmaker - Stainless Steel
Morphy Richards 48822 Soupmaker - Stainless Steel

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Soup Maker - So easy to use - Creates tasty Soups in no timen, 28 Dec. 2013
I received this soup maker for Christmas and have enjoyed using it every day. It's so easy to use, just chop a few vegetables, add the stock and away you go just by pressing the button for 'smooth' (taking 21 mins) or 'chunky' soup (taking 28 mins). It has a blade attached to the lid for chopping and it really did make the smooth soup smooth and creamy.

I've been using the Covent Garden soup recipe book and made some delicious celery, garlic & cashew nut soup, leek & potato soup and Cream of Fennel soup, all turned out perfectly and finished off with a drizzle of double cream on the top - it is Christmas after all! It was very tasty served with warm bread (the ones that come part-baked so you only need to warm them in the oven for 10 mins). Am looking forward to making smoked haddock chowder tomorrow.

It's easy to clean too although you can't submerse the whole container in water. This is a great soup maker and it can also make smoothies/milkshakes/juices so I will enjoy using this in the summer months.

It is no bigger than an upright kettle so it is easy to store or can be left out on the kitchen top, very compact. The handle at the top is comfortable to use and it has an LCD display on the lid. The capacity is up to 1.6 litres (for 6 people) although I have only made soup for 2 people at the minimum level so far. It will be quick and easy to use for dinner parties.

Well done Morphy Richards!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic vacuum, powerful, solid, great for pet hairs and all floor types, 3 Nov. 2013
I purchased the AEG UltraCaptic Animal Pet model and it was a replacement for my Dyson Animal vacuum. I am delighted with it. It is strong and well made and not as plasticky and fragile as some of my Dyson parts were.

There is a control to change the strength of the suction which is so useful with 5 power settings. It comes with 3 different floor brushes to use on different floor types, I was impressed with its functionality and the brushes go right up to the edge of the wall.

I was initially surprised at how quiet it was and was able to talk to my husband at the same time without shouting over the top of it. It has a Silent Air floor nozzle. The vacuum was less stressful for my 3 cats as well and they didn't disappear into another room, which they have done in the past.

This model has a 'compact and go' feature to squash dirt into neat packages, so quick and easy to use, pull the level down, this squashes the dirt/fluff and open the flap over the bin and out comes a solid mass of dirt/fluff, no tiny dust particles spilling around the bin lid or on to the floor.

It has a 3 in 1 tool that acts as a brush for stairs, turn it around and it has a nozzle and open up the nozzle and it becomes a flatter brush, ideal for sofas/cushions, etc - very clever to have all 3 built into 1 tool that clips onto the vacuum.

It's got HEPA 13 allergy filtration that lets out nothing but fresh air, so is perfect is someone who suffers from an allergy and is great for our cat who has mild asthma.

The big rubber wheels are sturdy and there is a bumper as well and it really does glide along all floors, wooden or on the carpet. It turns round corners easily and is easy to manoeuvre. A definite must for my house.

The handle is very comfortable to hold and I like the extra rigid support by the handle where the flexible hose goes in which stops it from bending and not working, which is what happened with my Dyson.

The first time I vacuumed my house it cleaned the carpets so well and better than my Dyson that I had.
I didn't need to unplug it so often with the 7m cord and it reached up my stairs to the top which was ideal.

It can be stored horizontally or vertically but the hose does not wrap around the body of the vacuum which would be have a bonus, but I can live without that considering all the other great features it has.

Overall, the UltraCaptic Animal Pet model was worth every penny and I feel I made the best choice. The ease of emptying it has to be a big part but the flexibility of the suction is a winner for me, I clearly could see cleaner carpets after the first use. This IS the best vacuum I have ever owned and my husband even said the same thing and enjoyed using it - double bonus!

Sony VAIO SVE1511R9E 15.5-inch Laptop (Silver) (Intel Core i3 2370M 2.40GHz, 4GB RAM, 640GB HDD, DVDSM SL, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit)

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful all round lap-top, great for photography, videos, etc., 5 Oct. 2012
Purchased this Sony Vaio to upgrade my existing one +10yrs old. It has a stonking 640GB HDD & 4GB RAM, ample for my use and to save my lifetimes photos and videos, most of which are large +RAW images.

The keyboard is lit up, perfect for using in the evening and the keys are a good size (Ifind many lap-top keys are too small for my finger tips, these keys are the right size)and has a slightly springy keyboard. The additional number pad at the side is useful.

The lap-top has a wrap style lid, making it easy to lift up from the keyboard and the stand-by/wake up mode is good.

The quality of the screen is first class and watching videos and clips is enhanced with the crispness of the picture. One of the main reasons I purchased this was to view my DSLR photos clearly and the images & colours are crystal clear, a huge difference to my older lap-top.

Has the HDD shock protection which has to be a good thing. Speaker quality is very good. Haven't tried the HD web camera yet or Bluetooth.

This Vaio will be with me for a long time and I would recommend others to consider this model. Amazon's price is competitive along with the back-up if anything goes wrong.

You will not be dissapointed with this lap-top, has everything you need and within a reasonable price.

Silicon Power 640GB Armor A10 blue - External Hard Drive
Silicon Power 640GB Armor A10 blue - External Hard Drive

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for backing up all my photos and documents, 19 Aug. 2012
As an amateur photographer this has been perfect to back up all my photos (jpegs and RAW which takes up lots of space) and release the space from my lap-top. It has a robust rubber surround that has been tested against data loss or damage from accidental slips or falls, the A10 meets the U.S.military drop-test standards MIL-STD-810F 516.5 procedure IV (transit drop test) with advanced two-stage anti-shock technology.

Has high capacity with high transferring rate of 480Mbit/ sec.
I can use and carry it very safely on overseas adventures where I can save my wildlife photos at the end of the day using my lap-top or plug in the USB to the hotel computer. Has been reliable and I would recommend it. Am now planning on buying a second one to back-up my main A10 incase I lose it and for an extra copy of my photos. Still haven't used anywhere near the full capacity!

LED indicates power on and data access.

Philips Sonicare Pro Results Brush Heads Mini 3pk
Philips Sonicare Pro Results Brush Heads Mini 3pk

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent brushes, easier to use that larger brush head., 10 Feb. 2012
These brushes fit my Sonicare perfectly and as they are smaller it makes brushing easier and I am able to get around all my teeth without any gagging, which happened with the larger head brush. The smaller brushes are also easier to use overall when moving around from the back of the teeth to the front and I was able to clean every tooth thoroughly with ease. A great price for this set of 3 Philips Sonicare mini toothbrushes. I would recommend the mini head as a more pleasurable brushing experience, without any compromises.

The Seal Wife
The Seal Wife
by Kathryn Harrison

4.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding novel, 1 Dec. 2002
This review is from: The Seal Wife (Paperback)
This is a story about a scientist, Bigelow, who builds a weather observatory in Ancorage in 1915. He falls for a native woman and becomes obsessed by her. Without spoiling the story it really is beautifully written and it made me realize how powerful silence can be - the Aleut woman comes alive in the book - you could almost feel the longing that Bigelow has for her. I liked the research that Harrison had done regarding the weather testing equipment/readings. At times I felt that I was observing Bigelow, following his every move and feeling his deepest desires. After you finish this book you'll still think about it.

Remarkable Trees of the World
Remarkable Trees of the World
by Thomas Pakenham

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning photography, 14 Sept. 2002
This book is a must for people who appreciate the various types of trees there are in the world. This book is wonderfully presented and captures so many diverse trees - the book is certainly one to keep and also give as gifts. It has made me look twice at the trees that I pass each day. This book makes one realise just how many different types of trees there are on this planet, many of which have outlived several generations and must be protected for many years to come. Buy it and see for yourself.