Profile for S. Parker > Reviews

Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds - The New Generation
Jeff Wayne's Musical Version Of The War Of The Worlds - The New Generation
Offered by Side Two

2.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm !!, 27 Dec. 2012
It's difficult to review this album. I am guessing that most people, who bought it, pretty much like me, have heard the original. So obviously the thing to do is to compare the two. I have tried so hard not to do this but ultimately I failed. I am sorry; I have tried to like this new version so much. Thinking it would add a new dimension to what in effect was a pretty classic album when it was first released, maybe something that was missed out.

It doesn't really do this. Yes it can be argued that the music, the singing, even the narrative is very good. But then again the original was too. Listening to the steely cold narrative delivered by Richard Burton in the original actually raised hairs. Not so much here.

Good album I guess. But if you have never heard War of the Worlds, I would advise you go with the original rather than this one. This is not something I would spend too much time on listening to. Not to say it is bad but to say there is far better, the original.

Philex - 27780R Compact Outdoor DVBT  Digital Aerial & Fixing Kit
Philex - 27780R Compact Outdoor DVBT Digital Aerial & Fixing Kit
Offered by THE ELECTRICAL SHOP

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install and works a treat., 11 Dec. 2011
Decided to review this product because it does what is says on the label. We have just finished our extension, ran in all the cables ( satellite, phone, LAN, power, etc) and completely forgot the single coax for the free view. Our choices were simple rip out brand new plasterboard and run in the coax or find an alternative. This Arial gave us the alternative. Simply plugged it into the TV and bingo, up and running. We did not even need to go to hassle of drilling holes in the wall and mounting it outside it sits inside, behind the TV, completely out of view.

Works a treat and for anybody worried about running cables down from the loft space or from an external Ariel, forget it. For twenty quid, mounted inside by a window, this provides the perfect solution.

WD My Passport Essential 500 GB Midnight Black Portable Hard Drive (USB 3.0/2.0)

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good., 7 Aug. 2011
Great hard drive. Plug and play, I had no issues with any of the preinstalled software and am very happy with this drive.

Recommended.

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the storyline ?, 23 July 2011
In anticipation of the new book, A Dance with Dragons, I have read this book despite it getting somewhat negative reviews. The thing about this series is I really do like the characters, the main characters that it. I like the world that has been created and I loved the first three books. So rather than allow the down beat reviews of this book to cloud my judgement I read it with an open mind.

It as to be said, for a fourth book, this is a mammoth read and it certainly not a light read. This book continues to pile on the detail and continues to introduce more and more characters into the storyline. This is where the book falls down in my opinion. Granted it is dealing mainly with the aftermath of the previous books but it's the story that is the problem. It doesn't really go anywhere. Even though it is told in beautiful detail and the writing is no less grand that the previous books, it's the story line that lets it all down. At this point of this story the main characters are already in play, there is no need to introduce more and more characters into it, there are more than enough to move the story forward. Continually bombarding readers with more and more detail, and characters is not the way forward for this series. There as to be some form of convergence, something that ties it all together, some form of storyline that holds it all together. This is not happening, the characters despite being well written don't command any form of feelings, whether it be loathing or loving. This is just a mish mash of random chapters strung together without thought of any storyline and without any sympathy for the characters that are in them. I am sorry but as it stands, at this moment, this series is now dead in the water and I have far better things to do with my money and time than continue to buy into this self indulgent ramblings.

A reasonably written book, but woefully let down by the lack of momentum that as carried the previous books forward. I really have now got serious reservations about continuing to read this saga but since I have already purchased "ADWD", I will give it one final chance to redeem itself. Based on the reviews of that book I have read, it does not look good. For this storyline to hold onto the readers it as got, something needs to be pulled out of the bag. What is left of the series needs to be given the preverbal kick up the backside and it needs to move forward at a rapid rate and not the snail's pace this book does.

Conquest (The Making of England Quartet)
Conquest (The Making of England Quartet)
by Stewart Binns

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible., 15 May 2011
I agree with the one star rating this book as received, if I could give it zero I would. If you don't believe me read it (I made it to page 146 and gave up !!). It is simply dire.

The plot is non existent and the characters and development of them is non existent. This book takes great historical events and tries to inject wooden top heroes into them, it fails miserably.

Not recommended at all.

A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3 Part 1)
A Storm of Swords: Steel and Snow (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 3 Part 1)

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a good read but......., 7 Dec. 2010
I have given this book only four stars and I am guessing this goes against many of the reviews here. Before I give the reason for the good, rather than excellent, rating of this book it is worth pointing out I did read and thoroughly enjoy the two pervious books.

The book itself is very well written and does continue in the same manner of the pervious two books. The story itself is very clever but I have an issue with the way it is still being told now. The author continues to tell the story in the same way it was told in the pervious two books. That being each central character as specific chapters dedicated to their perspective of the unfolding events. In the first books I actually quite liked this idea but I found it somewhat, for want of a better word, irritating. The reason for my irritation was that each and every chapter seemed to end somewhat abruptly and invariably on a cliffs edge. It then took many chapters later to pick up this particular part of story. This is all fine and well in the opening books but into the third book I found that there wasn't an overall story as such but many smaller stories split into chapters that to be honest never flowed into one another. It seemed as though chapters were just followed on almost in a random fashion and the next chapter had very little bearing on previous chapter.

I noted in a previous review that somebody had stated they felt that maybe the author had over stretched himself and on balance I tent to agree. As I read through this book I could not help but think there could be no conclusion to this saga. I feel that there are far too many subplots going on and the central characters seem to not being going very far. It is a shame because some of the characters actually could have an entire book dedicated to them. All in all I did enjoy this read but I am left with a somewhat bitter taste in my month that it is not being told as a complete story. In my opinion and this is only my opinion anybody who reads this book must have read the first two, it is simply impossible to understand it if you had not, I expected better. I wanted a complete storyline, not a fragmented mishmash of random chapters.

Please do not be put off by my somewhat down beat review, this book is a still a very good read but please be warned, although each chapter is well written do not expect a comprehensive storyline. What started out as quite an original idea of each character having their own chapter really didn't do it for me this far into the saga and to be honest I don't really see myself reading the fourth book.

Swan Song
Swan Song
by Robert R. McCammon

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read., 21 Oct. 2010
This review is from: Swan Song (Paperback)
I have given this book four stars and to be honest this book had all the qualities that should warrant five stars. It is an excellent read, the characters are believable and I actually cared what happened to them. But, it is the ending that lets it down in my opinion.
This is an epic book in every sense of the word and can, at times make for very grim reading. The only issue I have is the way it ended. Obviously I cannot give too much away to those who have not read it, but I just felt that such an epic book deserved the epic ending. All the characters were in play, all roads had converged, and the scene was set for the final show down between good and evil. The final punch that made one sit back and say "wow". It never really came, rather that the titanic battle between opposite forces there was almost a damp squid type of ending.
Having said that, this book is a fantastic read, one which I went through in under a week and I could certainly recommend it.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read., 21 Oct. 2010
Wow what a fantastic book, I wonder how I missed it for so long. This is certainly not the standard fantasy book, whereby there is a hero that rushes in and saves the day. This is gritty and brutal with many of the characters, even the "good" ones being flawed and capable of underhand deeds. And this book is full of those.

It is not an easy read though. The opening chapters I found to be quite hard at times, with many characters introduced along with a lot of back ground very quickly. Getting to grips with the various individuals and their interaction with one another was quite difficult at first. The author addresses this in quite a novel way though, by simply starting each chapter with the name of the main characters in it. Once I got to grips with the main characters and their relationships with one another the story unfolds seamlessly.

There are moments of high tension, brutality, naivety and even moments of compassion. All parts are played out beautifully. This is not a story of heroes or villain's just men and women scheming for power.

There are hints at something beyond the boundaries, beyond "the wall" that is being unleashed, something dreadful and fearful. But all eyes are firmly focussed on the internal wars rather than the external threat not just from the North but from overseas also. The stirring evil in the north plays a very small role in this book. There are no trolls, elves or even wise old wizards at play here but there are hints at a growing force that could well take centre stage in later books.

All in all an excellent read and I look forward to starting the second book.