Profile for Tommy Dooley > Reviews

Content by Tommy Dooley
Top Reviewer Ranking: 40

Tommy Dooley "Tom" (London, England)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Labyrinth of Lies DVD
Labyrinth of Lies DVD
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb German film on the man who put the Nazi’s on trial for Auschwitz, 30 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Labyrinth of Lies DVD (DVD)
Based on the true story of a young Public Prosecutor from Frankfurt named Johann Radmann (Alexander Fehling – ‘Inglorious Basterds’). He encounters a survivor of Auschwitz and a journalist who want to bring the perpetrators of the atrocities that took place there to trial. The problem is that Germany seems to not want to rake over the coals of the past and there are former Nazi’s everywhere who just don’t care.

What follows are the travails he and his friends go through in order to do something, try to build a case and wake the German people from their wilful apathy towards the war. We also have his personal life and that of those around him and who are swept up in the investigation.

This is an extremely well made film, the story is completely gripping and I loved the period detail too. It does not sugar coat what took place but is also not horrific in terms of the graphic abuse that sadly occurred, especially at the hands of Mengele and co. It is very moving in places and features some truly excellent performances especially Fehling and his love interest Friedrike Becht (‘Hannah Arendt’)who plays Marlene – it is in German with very good subtitles and runs for 123 minutes and is one that is very easy to recommend indeed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 19, 2016 12:27 PM BST

Lenovo M120 USB 2.0 Optical Wired Scroll Wheel Mouse Mice 1000 DPI For Laptop Notebook Netbook Computer - Black
Offered by Zheino-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Basic, practical and just what I needed., 29 Jun. 2016
I needed a simple straight forward mouse for my work lap top, I had a look at a few and for value and efficiency I know Lenovo can be trusted, so I gave it a chance and I have not been at all disappointed.

This is one you just plug in with the USB and it works straight away. It has the usual scroll wheel, which is not too tight or loose and does not make a terrible ratchet noise –which is great.

The right and left click are responsive and it feels ergonomically perfect. This is not the sort of fancy mouse that lights up – except for underneath where it is needed. If you want a straight forward, practical and reliable mouse then I think you may have found it here.

Alone Yet Not Alone [DVD]
Alone Yet Not Alone [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kelly Greyson

3.0 out of 5 stars Middling quality production of a frontier story, 29 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Alone Yet Not Alone [DVD] (DVD)
Starting in 1775 we have a story of a German family who emigrated to America to avoid religious persecution. They buy their own land in an area that was previously the domain of the local Native Indian Tribe. The British are at war with the French – again – and both sides drag the local populace into the conflict and the local tribes also.

This results in a previously allied tribe raiding the frontier homesteads and killing, burning and taking prisoners. This includes Barbara Leininger and her sister. What follows is what befalls them and their friends.

Now I love a good frontier tale, the Native Americans are really done well and some of the locations are excellent – I think they used the same area as Michael Mann in ‘The Last of the Mohicans’ so very evocative. The acting ranges from good to am dram and that is a shame. Some of the characters are stereo typed to the point of incredulity – especially a couple of the English officers. Then there are the wigs which started of being funny and then became annoying. I have seen more realistic toupees on sale in a joke shop. Why ruin a film that had a fair amount of money spent on it with minor hic cups? If you like a frontier story with a bit of action and some great fancy dress then there may be a great film here for you, if you like true quality in your films then think twice.

The Harrowing
The Harrowing
by James Aitcheson

3.0 out of 5 stars Norman Conquest era tale of five strangers., 28 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Harrowing (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The book is set just after William and his Normans had defeated Harold at Hastings and had decided to settle his grip on the whole kingdom; thus the Harrowing of the North began. His army decided to lay waste to all they went through in retribution for the rebellion that had taken place.

We meet five English who come together on the road, a lady, her servant, a warrior, a priest and a travelling bard of sorts. The story is set over eight days as they make their way away from the danger of the invaders toward an uncertain future. One by one they begin to tell their stories and all of them have a secret which by sharing brings them closer together. This is done on consecutive days.

Now I found this hard going and I had to think why. As it is really well researched and James Aitcheson can write, however it was a bit flat. Sometimes too he over explains things as if the obvious needed explaining – a case of less would definitely be more and that I found annoying. The history side of it is very minimal, but once again some things are expanded on that for me was superfluous as I am fairly up on history and the basics of farming etc do not need to be writ in great detail, it seems like filler in a book that is already 400 pages. This is far from being a bad book but for me it was also far from being a great one.

BICMART Men's Solid Cheap Pique Big And Tall Polo Sport Shirts
BICMART Men's Solid Cheap Pique Big And Tall Polo Sport Shirts

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Looking and comfortable Polo Shirt, 27 Jun. 2016
Please note I received a shirt free in exchange for a review.
This is a nice looking shirt, I went for the navy blue and I think the pale blue may have been better on reflection. However, this is a poly cotton mix 60 – 40 and machine washable, but there are no washing instructions so I would go for a low temperature, I washed mine at 30 which was fine and with other similar colours. I did not notice much bleed though.

I am a 30 to 40 inch chest and was sent an XL which is just that bit too big so the L would have been better. The material is on the thin side, which is ideal for hot climes but may lack the weight for the UK. Also you can get similar quality in Primark for less dosh – jus saying. I do like this though – hence the rating but be careful on size when ordering.

The Pigman Murders [DVD]
The Pigman Murders [DVD]
Dvd ~ John Berry
Offered by Fulfillment Next Day

1.0 out of 5 stars Seriously Bad piece of film making in another ‘found tape’ genre, 25 Jun. 2016
This review is from: The Pigman Murders [DVD] (DVD)
I watch a lot of films and I am always prepared to give a film a go even when it has been widely criticised as often there is a saving grace. This is one where I was sorely self deluding. It is about seven friends who decide to commemorate the one year anniversary of a friend’s death – Brendan – by going to the middle of nowhere in Connemara and making a video for the dead guy’s family. A card would have been a better idea lads.

They hire a bloke called Stefan to film them; I mean seriously anyone can hold a camcorder cant they? But no not this pro as the film constantly breaks and fuzzes and then cuts out and becomes ultra annoying. For the first 31 minutes we get scene setting which is basically ‘the lads’ acting immature whilst the camera malfunctions.

When we move on to the actual ‘action’, the bits you want to see are nearly all done off camera! There is some good acting – which was surprising to be honest and the make up was good. However, the complete void of originality, character development, script and anything actually happening made for this to be utterly unwatchable. Oh and they make the most stoopid decisions – repeatedly too. The director of this barfathon is credited as SPK. So you are so embarrassed about this god-awful tripe you would not even put your name to it? (just noticed his real name is on this page but not the film) I am just guessing but this is my contender for the most pointless piece of film making ever – this was more annoying than a three year old constantly asking why? But that is the only question that this could possibly engender – why indeed.

Soarpop Large Capacity Water Resistant Backpack,Fits up to 15.6 Inch Laptop Racksack,Bottom Extendable Outdoor Practical Backpack
Offered by SOARPOP BACKPACK

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice Water proof Rucksack that will take a 15” laptop., 25 Jun. 2016
Length:: 3:13 Mins

Please note I was sent this free for a review.
Now I do like this and if the video loads then you may be able to see why. It is a good size but I am not able to say exactly in litres- but I would say around 30, but the product description is silent on the matter. It has a main compartment that is split in two with a secure space for a 15” laptop – and yes one fits nice and easy.

There are another four zippered pockets and it can also increase in capacity by undoing the bottom zip as I demonstrate in the video. The two side pockets are handy for brollies etc and can be secured and it has a chest strap on the easily adjustable straps. Plus it is comfortable to wear and has the pads to keep it slightly off of your back – which is great for hiking or even the commute.

I do like it but there are quality control issues with sub standard finishing in one of the pockets that would render it not water proof – which is a shame. That being said this is still a good quality product and it is only the small pocket which you would not get much in anyway, so I am knocking off 1 star. Please take a look at the video and you will be able to see what I am talking about in better detail.

iisport Mens Swimming Trunks Pants Swimwear Shorts Slim Wear Front Tie with Pocket
Offered by Herche Trading Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as described in the pictures above, 25 Jun. 2016
I wanted a pair of swim shorts but not ones that are too baggy and these looked just the right thing. The picture above clearly shows that these have an inner lining of the sort you get with swim shorts – not trunks. Yet these are trunks so not what I actually ordered and I was doing a search for shorts too.

Being objective though as a pair of trunks they are ok and the quality is average, they are low riders though so be warned and the sizing is as expected from China, in that I am a 30 inch waist and I got a Large and they are ok too, could be a bit more roomy and they do not leave much to the imagination. The pocket is ok for a small key of a coin or two, but I am not overly enamoured with these and think that the mis leading photos are a disgrace.

Childhood's End [DVD] [2016]
Childhood's End [DVD] [2016]
Dvd ~ Mike Vogel

4.0 out of 5 stars The SyFy Channel finally comes of age with this rather good adaptation of a great book., 23 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Childhood's End [DVD] [2016] (DVD)
This SyFy Channel offering is all about when nice aliens come to Earth, they are non violent, non threatening and see us as children who need to be guided to get along better. So they offer us the deal of a lifetime, just let them rule and they will end poverty, inequality, illness, war, intolerance and make Earth an actual Utopia.

The ‘Earth Supervisor’ is Karellen played with imperialistic understatement by Charles Dance, he selects one farmer to be the spokes person and his mouth piece and this is Rick Stormgren (Mike Vogel – ‘Under The Dome’) and he is used to convey to the World what our dear Overlords want us to do and what they are going to do in return. It seems too good to be true but when you have got it so good why bother rocking the boat. Some obviously do and that is covered too and includes a feisty part for Colm Meaney.

This is really well made, the SFX are incredibly good and the acting all rather top form too, the real strength is the story and how it weaves so many things into the plot but does it both subtly and ‘in your face’. I thought it was great and just flew by.I hope that we can expect more TV of this calibre from SyFy now– recommended.

Narcos Season 1 [DVD]
Narcos Season 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Boyd Holbrook

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Brilliant True Life Depiction of the biggest Drug Lord Ever, 22 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Narcos Season 1 [DVD] (DVD)
This was made for Netflix – where I watched it – and is based on the life of Pablo Escobar. I have read and seen a fair bit about the man and this follows the facts as portrayed in the Colombian documentary ‘Los Tiempos de Pablo Escobar’ and to say what happens is stranger than fiction is a massive understatement. It takes us along for the ride with Escobar and his cronies starting to realise that Colombia was a failing state and money talks. In his case it screamed and the US soon realised what was happening on its doorstep – only they were a bit late to the party.

By the time they caught up with him he had becomes numero uno in the drugs World. His power and influence gave him plenty of ideas too and they are all depicted here. It is a fair depiction of him as a man – presenting him as human and incredibly ruthless, cynical and downright nasty.

The production values are extremely high and the acting is just superb. Escobar is played by the excellent Wagner Moura who is actually Brazilian but speaks Spanish here like a native. He has been in so many brilliant films including ‘Elite Squad’ where he was seriously fit so must have attacked the pasta to gain the weight needed for this role. He is ably supported by a cast where even the bit players are outstanding. We have the stories of the brave men and women who went after him too and to say this makes for excellent TV is like saying cocaine can be a tiny bit addictive, and just like ‘Charlie’ this too had me hooked after one hit – I shall stop gushing now, but also I have not met a single person who did not rave about this and there are plans for a second season which I hope is very soon indeed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 13, 2016 3:39 PM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20