Profile for K. Phillips > Reviews

Content by K. Phillips

K. Phillips "entity" (Glasgow,Scotland)

The Tangled Bank: An Introduction to Evolution
The Tangled Bank: An Introduction to Evolution
by Carl Zimmer

5.0 out of 5 stars inspiring and concise(and so well illustrated) yet read like a block busting novel, 15 Nov. 2014
There can be few textbooks that are so informative,inspiring and concise(and so well illustrated) yet read like a block busting novel.Some scientific background is of benefit,however i am sure not essential to enjoy this.What can i say...one of the best books of any kind i have read and has inspired me to pursue this line of study in my open university course.Nice one Carl!

One Leg Too Few
One Leg Too Few

5.0 out of 5 stars very well written and a fascinating account of the creative and destructive power of love, or as put 'bromance', 24 July 2014
This review is from: One Leg Too Few (Kindle Edition)
?when will we see their likes again? For pete and dud fans essential reading..very well written and a fascinating account of the creative and destructive power of love , or as put 'bromance'.Still have memories of watching 'not only but also' when i were a lad with my dad and joined in with the laughter,even when i didn't really understand it.The terminal phase of pete and duds career is like watching a train crash and is particularly well documented here.

Other World
Other World

5.0 out of 5 stars Titanic!!!, 8 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Other World (Audio CD)
sorry my astronomy is not so good...?is this a moon of juptiter on the cover?This is as strange and wonderful as you could have wished for.The combination of pete's voice and other wordily instrumentation works really well....as usual ham mill is not afraid to tell it like it is, even if that is not at all comfortable.It goes without saying that the average person will hate this..but us in the know realise that this is the real deal (Faustian though it maybe).Come to think of it this is a little further out than our solar system.For Hammill fans...a must!!!!!

ALT
ALT
Offered by TwoRedSevens

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Life in the old dogs yet!, 26 Jun. 2012
This review is from: ALT (Audio CD)
ALT by VDGG..i thought... how can they possibly still surprise us after all these years?I was wrong cos i was, and whats more, delighted by these musical doodlings.Sure its van der graff but not quite as we know them,leaning towards classical and erm..? tangerine dream ? bill nelson.. not to mention the downright barmy..i think i'm going to fall in love with this one .The best VDGG release since their resurrection.........now lets see the lads try to do this live! This isn"t music, its dreaming with percussion .
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2012 12:19 AM GMT

Ron Sexsmith
Ron Sexsmith
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Pregnant music, 22 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Ron Sexsmith (Audio CD)
Found this one in a bargain bin in 1997....best fiver ever spent.My wife was pregnant at the time with our son and we had cancelled a holiday due to some complications(both are well by the way),and this album reminds me of that time.All of these songs are first rate and i never tire of singing them,plus there`s plenty of space in the production for you to add your own harmonies!`Lebanon Tennessee` so wistfull ..makes you want to go there;there`s real tenderness and compassion in there ditties,and as mentioned in another review `Speaking with the Angel`is a cracker and was the one i sang to my wife`s stomach and my wee boy all those years ago.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2012 3:47 PM BST

Seventh Sojourn
Seventh Sojourn

5.0 out of 5 stars Pinder`s bridge to heaven, 21 April 2007
This review is from: Seventh Sojourn (Audio CD)
Seventh Sojourn was the first LP I bought with my own money..I was 15 at the time in 1972;and so it remains to this day my favourite.This reissue is like meeting an old friend and noticing something new,the instrumental bonus tracks give an insight into how the band worked but best of all you can sing along at home and be a Moody Blue!(go on you know you want to!)

This is the Moodies most accomplished but not their most inspired album.It is certainly the last great one,with `that sound`,and this versions greatest moment is without a doubt Pinder`s instrumental bridge on the original version of Isn`t Life Strange...I am not kiding.. I actually had a tear in my eye when I first heard this...I really believe there will be Mellotrons in Heaven!