Profile for Justin Case > Reviews

Content by Justin Case
Top Reviewer Ranking: 279

Justin Case (UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
PhD Nutrition Diet Whey Bars, Dark Chocolate Mocha - Pack of 12
PhD Nutrition Diet Whey Bars, Dark Chocolate Mocha - Pack of 12

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice taste, not too dear, the best I've yet had, 15 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These bars taste very good compared to other ones I've tried in the last year or so. If they were just a snack like a Mars Bar, and not specifically to give you a boost for training, etc, I'd be happy to buy them occasionally just to eat. They're nice.

The texture isn't too tough, which is good. Some other ones I've tried might give you lots of protein, but you could well end up with jaw muscles like Arnold's arms just trying to get through them!

They contain sweeteners, which are things I usually go out of my way to avoid, but if it doesn't bother you, they don't really taste like they do.

The only reason I've docked them a star is that there is now some evidence that your body self-regulates and only takes in as much protein each day as it needs. If this is true, and not to put too fine a point on it, these might be a rather expensive way of boosting your toilet's protein levels.

Having said that, if you are a regular consumer of protein bars, and like the taste of mocha, these are definitely the best tasting ones I've yet tried and I'm happy to recommend them.

Ultrasport Unisex 1 x 15 kg Cast Iron Weight Set, Black, 2.2 x 33.07 Ibs
Ultrasport Unisex 1 x 15 kg Cast Iron Weight Set, Black, 2.2 x 33.07 Ibs

5.0 out of 5 stars A well made weight, 15 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's a bit difficult to review a plate weight. Sadly, I have no way of accurately confirming that the 15Kg one I received actually weighs 15Kg, but I can confirm that it certainly feels like it.

As this type of weight goes, it seems a little better made than some others I've used, with a crisp finish to the casting, and it seems reasonably concentric, with the 30mm centre hole accurately produced. Clearly the Chinese back yard foundry it was made in were good at their job (yes, it is Chinese).

Like my fellow reviewers, I've no idea how much it costs, but I suppose I'll just have to weight and see (sorry....) The finish also seems pretty durable but only time will tell about that.

All I need now is another one and I'll have a barbell's worth!

Joking apart, this seems like a good product and I'm happy to recommend it.

Boston Duvet & Pillow Company Safer Sleep Soft Anti-Allergy Pillow Pair - Pack of 2, White

5.0 out of 5 stars Great pillows at a great price, 7 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My fellow Vine reviewers have said pretty much everything there is to say about these pillows, so all I can do is echo their views that they're very soft and comfortable and to add that they've helped my wife to have a better night's sleep on first trying them than she's managed for some time.

I also think they're very reasonably priced.

We use ours in pillow cases (pillow slips) to help keep them clean.

Highly recommended.

Georg Jensen Indulgence Stainless Steel Champagne Cooler, Grand
Georg Jensen Indulgence Stainless Steel Champagne Cooler, Grand

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of art in sheet metal, 3 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
How do I review this? It's a bit (actually quite a lot) of highly polished, bent stainless steel that comes in swanky packaging and costs an awful lot of money.

For many folks, this is the sort of thing that's going to be brought out only on a few occasions in a lifetime (weddings, births, christenings, that sort of thing), in order, hopefully, to impress your guests. The rest of the time it's likely to sit in its box, out of sight somewhere (the roof is a likely candidate).

Another possibility is that it might well be the ideal cooler for an events organiser who wants to make a bit of a statement at the top table of a posh function.

However, if you are of an artistic or (this plumber struggles for words here) aesthetic inclination, you're probably going to have it on display all the time in your house just to enjoy its delightful looks and tactile pleasure. The fact you can also use it to cool your champagne, or anything else you fancy, will be an added bonus. It's beautifully made and flawless in its finish.

As part of my mechanical engineering apprenticeship, I spent a few months in the sheet metal shop, and I can appreciate fully that this cooler hasn't just been pressed out by some labourer in a Scandinavian back street. It's a work of art and I could gaze at it for hours.

Plumber's tip: Make your ice cubes out of distilled water if you want to avoid having to try to clean water marks off this. I have a feeling it might otherwise prove quite difficult to keep pristine.

To sum up, if you just want to keep your drinks cool, you can use your fridge, which coincidentally probably cost less than this does. But if you can afford it, and have an eye for such things, get one of these. I'm sure you won't regret it for a moment.

I love it.

Fish Original Fishfingers Shape Defining Wax 100ml
Fish Original Fishfingers Shape Defining Wax 100ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, and economical too, 1 Aug. 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
My step-son has reviewed this for me as sadly I haven't got enough hair left to try it on.

He normally uses Fudge Original Hair Shaper and has done for years, so was interested to try this stuff. I'm pleased to say he rated it as being 'just as good' as the Fudge, which means I can recommend it without hesitation.

There's not an awful lot to say about it, but he tells me it holds his hair firmly enough, doesn't really smell of much (certainly not fish!), and the styling lasts for several hours, which is all good.

Its major advantage over the fudge is it's about a third cheaper, so if you're on a bit of a budget, it's well worth trying. I'm sure he'll be ordering more of it once this pot is used up.

To sum up, it's good stuff.

Elba A4 80 mm Classic Lever Arch File - Cloudy Black
Elba A4 80 mm Classic Lever Arch File - Cloudy Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, but a bit expensive, 31 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I normally use lever arch files from Wilko for my business paperwork so was interested to try out this one as a comparison.

It's a bit heavier than the Wilko ones and like them, has metal reinforced bottom edges and corners to cope with wear. The mechanism is good and solid, and the pins align well. I wouldn't say it was any better or worse than my usual ones in that respect though.

I gather the main board is made from recycled materials, which is always a good thing, and it feels tough enough to withstand many years of use.

The only reason I've docked it a star is the Wilko ones are less than three quid, and this is six.

For the money, it's well made, but I don't think it's that much better than the Wilko ones to justify paying more than twice as much for it.

Tefal FV5648 Turbo Pro Anti-Scale Steam Iron, 2600 W, Black/Blue
Tefal FV5648 Turbo Pro Anti-Scale Steam Iron, 2600 W, Black/Blue
Offered by Morgan's Trade

5.0 out of 5 stars A great iron, 27 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really good iron with plenty of features. The instruction booklet is a bit on the small size and some of the diagrams are slightly indistinct (to my eyes at least), but once you get the hang of it, there's nothing complicated to sort out.

The cord is about 6' (1800mm long) which is plenty for most people as long as your ironing board is close enough to the socket, and the iron is very stable when sitting on its end between items.

It's worth noting that it's quite large and certainly not particularly light, so if you have a large amount of ironing to do in one go, it might be a bit tiring on the arm. But conversely, with it's splendid baseplate coating, it glides very easily and the larger size means you need less strokes to cover a big area.

The steam 'Turbo Boost' (how very 1980s!) is handy for getting stubborn creases out, and it heats up quickly as well. If you don't need all 2600w, there's an 'eco' setting which reduces its power consumption by 20% to help save electricity. The iron won't be quite as hot of course though.

Although we live in a hard water area, I've not been using it long enough so far to see how well the scale reducing feature works, but it certainly looks promising and it's very easy to open to clean out. If you're really particular, you could always use distilled water or melted ice from your freezer in it instead to avoid any limescale build up.

It's not the cheapest iron, but if you've a lot of ironing to do on a regular basis, I think it would be well worth considering. It's well made and appears as though it will be very durable.

All in all, I've used a lot of Tefal products over the years, been very pleased with them, and I've no hesitation in recommending this iron to you.

Case Collection® Stylish Heavy Duty Shock Proof Armour Dual Protection Cover with Built-in Kickstand For Sony Xperia X
Offered by CASE COLLECTION LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant bit of kit, 19 July 2017
I bought this for my Sony Xperia X. It fitted absolutely perfectly and, having had one from the same maker for my old Xperia XA with which I was delighted, I can safely say it's a bargain and no-one should think twice about whether they need one or not. You do, it could save your phone.

It does a great job of protecting the casing and also keeping the camera lenses in scratch-free condition. All you need then is to add a screen cover and you'll have to work hard to damage it at all, whatever you do.

The fold out stand at the back isn't something I need, but it does work fine if it's something you want to use.

Incidentally, if you find any of it interferes with anything on the phone, all you need is a few careful seconds with a Stanley knife and it will be fine (but I've had no need to do this with the Xperia X one at all).

To sum up, highly recommended with no downsides.

Panasonic ES-RT37  3 Blade Electric Foil Shaver Wet&Dry
Panasonic ES-RT37 3 Blade Electric Foil Shaver Wet&Dry

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but I'd get a rotary one, 18 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I'm a bit underwhelmed by this shaver. It seems to work reasonably well, but it does feel a bit cheap (which of course, it is).

It looks fine but it comes with no carrying case, which isn't disasterous but would have been useful, and apart from a good length of cord for the (two pin) charging adaptor and a cleaning brush, that's all you get.

If you're just after a basic shaver that is lightweight and will do the job, it is okay. However, it suffers from the same problem that every microscreen shaver I've ever used does, in that it can't cope with the odd longer hairs that always seem to hide on your neck. I've also got a Braun shaver which was ten times the price of this one and that's the same.

The only electric shaver I've ever used which is worth a full five stars is my old, corded Philishave three head rotary one. That copes with everything and I always end up using it after the Braun, and I would need to after this one as well, to get the bits they've missed.

To sum up, it's cheap enough, but not as good in my opinion as my old Philishave.

Belkin PocketPower 5000 mAh Ultra Power Bank, High Speed Portable Charger for Apple iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, Samsung Galaxy S7, Google Pixel, Huawei P9 and More - Rose Gold

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but a bit too expensive for what it offers, 18 July 2017
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've been offered the pink version of this phone-sized portable power supply to try out, and as a hairy plumber, it perhaps wouldn't have been my first choice of colour, but if you're partial to pink, it does look good and may well match your handbag, shoes and Evoque (or any current Land Rover product....)

Joking aside, it's a handy bit of kit and when charged up (mine took around two hours), it will re-charge your smartphone fully, once. You might get a bit more out of it, but certainly not a second full charge. It took a couple of hours to put a reasonable charge back into my Sony Xperia X, which would be ideal for overnight when I didn't need to use the phone.

Others have commented, correctly, on the shortness of the supplied lead, and that for the price, you can get a lot more charging capacity than you get here.

To sum up, this particular one, to me, is mainly a fashion item, albeit with a practical purpose, but I can't give it more than three stars as it's that bit too expensive for what it offers in performance.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20