Profile for Victoria Brown > Reviews

Content by Victoria Brown

Victoria Brown

Mindful Hypnobirthing: Hypnosis and mindfulness techniques for a calm and confident birth
by Sophie Fletcher

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book! Working wonders so far..., 23 May 2014
I agree with all the other reviews on here completely. So I won't repeat what they've all said. Some things I'd add are:

The 3 x mp3 tracks that accompany the book are the best hypnosis tracks I've ever heard. Sophie's voice is so easy to listen to, the background music is calming and does not distract from her voice, and the quality of sound (I use stereo headphones) is perfect. The book tells you how important it is to use these tracks at least 3 times a week to start with, then everyday as your pregnancy progresses, so it's vital that the tracks are enjoyable/easy to listen to often. I find myself looking forward to 40 minutes of me time each evening knowing that I'm taking positive steps towards a relaxing homebirth (if all goes to plan). Plus I also pop it on if I wake up in the middle of the night and find it difficult to switch my mind off...it's so relaxing and allows me to switch off my thoughts and go back to sleep.

The book is full of practical advice, like reading/watching plenty of positive birth stories. We're mostly conditioned to believe that birth is a medical emergency full of pain and things that go wrong. This made me fearful of the approaching birth of my 1st baby. I now follow Sophie's advice and focus only on the positive stories. They're the ones which don't usually make the headlines but go a long way in addressing my fears and help me to be relaxed about the birth.

Unlike many other self-help books, Sophie does not repeat herself over and over again through the chapters. She also doesn't baffle the reader with constant references to medical jargon/university studies etc. Everything is straight to the point with just the right amount of information to help you understand and to be assured that it's all factual without going over the top.

With 4 months to go before the birth of my baby, I can't comment on how effective the book is in achieving a relaxing birth, but I can say how it's helping me to prepare and feel I can take control of this birth and make it a positive one. I'll post another review after the birth to say how it helped.