Profile for Dr Ian > Reviews

Content by Dr Ian

Dr Ian "Dr Ian knows best" (Leeds, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Fast Asleep, Wide Awake: Discover the secrets of restorative sleep and vibrant energy

3.0 out of 5 stars Could have been so much better, 15 Dec. 2016
Such a shame. A promising start to the book had me hooked. Lots of practical techniques and common sense analysis. Unfortunately the book jumps you with religious references about 3/4 of the way through like a Jehovah's witness ringing your doorbell at 10.30pm. From then on it descends into crackpot ideas mushed together with some ridiculously boring recycled pseudo science.

Clearly the writer has many unresolved emotional issues following the traumas in her life and feels the need to preach about God and God knows what else. Much better to have kept religion out of it or at least referenced it in a more neutral way. The book loses clarity at this stage and we don't know what tools we're meant to be using and when. It all becomes a bit of a soup of half baked 'techniques' and religious preaching.

Sportline HydraCoach Intelligent Water Bottle To Calculate Your Personal Hydration Needs and Track Your Fluid Consumption Throughout The Day

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but impractical, bad design. Horrible taste., 25 Feb. 2016
I bought this through another company and not through Amazon, but thought I'd post my thoughts on here. I'm sitting with my Hydracoach now, trying to sip from it. The idea of something monitoring your hydration level is a good one. However, this device falls down on many levels:

1. When tipping out unused water and re-filling it's really easy to forget that the computer is a separate detachable section. Therefore this keeps falling out into the sink. One day it's going to break.

2. If you use this on a day-to-day basis, i.e. THE WHOLE POINT of using it, the water quickly starts to taste foul, even after rinsing out. And this leads me onto point 3 ...

3. No parts can be used in a dishwasher. SERIOUSLY? In 2016? And with this thing supposedly being used on a day-to-day basis. There's some blurb about leaving it to air dry (Who has time for this???) or using bicarb of soda, mouthwash or whatever to clean it. But, what a load of hassle. This thing desperately needs to be dishwasher safe, especially when you consider what it's exposed to on a day-to-day basis being carried around.

4. Once or twice the mechanical bit has become stuck, meaning it's like drinking a super thick milkshake. Magically it unstuck itself, but I don't know how long this will last.

This product, as it stands, is a FAIL

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Good idea but impractical, bad design. Horrible taste., 24 Feb. 2016

This product, as it stands, is a FAIL
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2016 11:36 PM GMT

Philips Hue Personal Wireless Lighting Home Automation Bridge 2.0, Apple Home Kit Enabled, Works with Alexa

1.0 out of 5 stars An Expensive Dead Duck, 3 Jan. 2016
The hardware is OK. Unfortunately the Philips Hue range is let down dramatically by the software, i.e. the main App supplied by Philips. After a while, it seems the Hue Hub gets confused when talking to the App - it thinks scenes which have been deleted, still exist. Siri stops working. And the list goes on.

Avoid the Philips Hue range like the plague. It's a very expensive dead duck.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2016 8:29 PM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but not much protection, 4 Dec. 2015
Pretty good, but not much protection for your phone

e-One electronic combination padlock for lockers - Indoor use only
e-One electronic combination padlock for lockers - Indoor use only

1.0 out of 5 stars Mechanism died yet batteries were still charged, 4 Dec. 2015
Avoid at all costs. I had this lock in the gym. One minute all was well, the next minute key presses failed to register. No lights to indicate the battery had gone, just the normal lights but no way of entering the combination. The gym had to crowbar the door to get to my stuff.

House Number Sign/Plaque Brushed Aluminium & AcrylicGOS03N--Personalised Sign
House Number Sign/Plaque Brushed Aluminium & AcrylicGOS03N--Personalised Sign
Offered by UK Sign Shop

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for money ... and a smart sign!, 11 Sept. 2015
Very good value for money. The delivery was also speedy. It comes with a transparent plastic cover over it. It's really difficult to peel this off, so patience is advised.

It looks very nice indeed. The only minor criticism is that there are a few air bubbles under the printed parts.

I've got mine for an apartment front door (indoors), which I'm sure will look great when I put it up. How would it last outside with the elements? I'm not sure. I can't comment on the durability of this item, only just having received it, but I think it should be absolutely fine for my purposes.

And I can say that it definitely does not look 'cheap'. In fact, it looks quite classy. I'm looking forward to putting it up after I've painted my door.

LE 10 Pack GU10 LED Light Bulbs, 50W Halogen Bulbs Equivalent, MR16 4W, 350lm, Warm White, 2700K, 120° Beam Angle, Recessed Lighting, Track Lighting
Offered by NEON Mart

3.0 out of 5 stars Fine so far but will they last?, 11 Sept. 2015
So, they look a little odd. But the light is very good indeed. And you certainly can't dispute their value-for-money.

Of course, the true test for ANY LED light is how long they last. These babies should last years. And if they don't ... I'll be back on here to warn people. Until then, I will continue with my smiley face thinking about the money I'll be saving over the winter.

LPD Furniture WORTHING Ottoman/ Blanket Box, 91 x 47.5 x 51.5 cm, American White Oak

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, great quality ... and lookin' good!, 10 Sept. 2015
I've only had this for a day so the only thing I can't comment on is any issues with wear and tear. Leaving that aside, this ottoman delivers on so many levels.

Firstly, it looks good. The sort of "good" that when you walk into the room, you notice it. The wood has a really nice finish to it. Although you shouldn't put it in direct sunlight, it does look good when the sun catches it. The design isn't fussy, but there's an elegance and a shape to it, and just the right amount of detail. If you want something which has character but which doesn't look like something Long John Silver would use to store treasure, then this just might be what you've been looking for.

Secondly, the action on the lid is firm. To all appearances, the mechanism is solid, and hopefully long lasting. You have to be careful when positioning things inside so that they don't catch the hinges as you close the lid.

Thirdly, the unit isn't massive but it certainly pulls its weight when it comes to storage. It's has been nice to tidy away all those things left lying around which don't normally have a home.

Mooncandles - 3 Real Wax Flameless Candles with Timer and Remote Control
Mooncandles - 3 Real Wax Flameless Candles with Timer and Remote Control
Offered by Innovationstore

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for steady light, but the flickering candle effect is crazazy yo, 1 Sept. 2015
I got these to replace my other fake candles (now moved to another room). I was specifically looking for some which have a steady light, because I find the fake candle 'flicker' too distracting. These work well from that point of view. And you can set them to bright or dim light. I quite like the dim light to give a presence in the room and compliment other lights. I hasten to add, I don't use these in the living room - like other candles of this nature, they do just look a little too fake for grown-up land. These candles do have a lovely whiff of vanilla about them - it's not as prominent as the other fake candles I have, but still very pleasant. I'm guessing the smell won't last that long.

You have a number of options with the remote. You can turn the lights on/off, select steady light (dim or bright), select flickering candle more, and select timer mode. The timer allows you to turn the candles on for 4 or 8 hours. It appears that you can only select timer mode with flickering candles, not steady light.

Having said that these fulfil the function I bought them for, here are 3 things you need to watch out for if you're considering buying them:

1. The 'flickering' candle mode is crazazy yo. It's not at all restful like a flickering candle. It's more like being in Berlin nightclub at 4am (You guys know what I'm talking about, right?)

2. That 4 or 8 hour timer only seems to work in flickering mode, not steady light mode. Shame. I use these in the bedroom, and it would be nice to be able to drift off to sleep with some soft light, knowing that I'm not going to drain the batteries.

3. All the electronic candles I've seen, including these, are no *real* substitute for actual candles and the beautiful light they produce. So, bear that one in mind. If you're really wanting to get romantic, I wouldn't use electronic candles. The overwhelming advantage of any candles of this nature are that they are safe and can be placed anywhere, and you don't need to get out of bed to turn them off!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5