Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Amazon Music Unlimited Shop now Shop now
Profile for B. J. Farmer > Reviews

Content by B. J. Farmer

B. J. Farmer (Rugby, England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Getaway [VINYL]
The Getaway [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars I was disappointed to see the great Frusciante leave, 18 Oct. 2016
This review is from: The Getaway [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Having been a Chili Pepper fan since BSSM, I was disappointed to see the great Frusciante leave. I was disappointed with I'm With You, with Josh being unable to assert himself, maybe being a bit start struck. On the back of this I didn't at first bother with The Getaway.
Don't get me wrong, Klinghoffer is a fine guitarist, just having to fill a genius's shoes is tough. I finally sat down and properly listened to The Getaway and decided I should stop being a grump. I gave it an open mind and decided I'd be buying it regardless of who had released it.....RHCP or any other band. Whilst I still prefer Frusciante, he's gone, so it was time for me to move on and get over it.

This is a fine album, which gets better each listen. Whilst the lead single is good, Dark Necessities is far from the best track, and I still think Go Robot an odd 2nd single, just because there are better tracks on this album. The tracks seem to improve as the album plays, with the best track being the exit track 'Dreams of a Samurai' If in doubt try to preview 'Detroit', 'This Triconderoga' (no, I don't know what one is either), 'Encore' and 'The Hunter'.

I bought on Double vinyl......a fantastic album worth the investment and almost back to the heady heights of Stadium Arcadium, but not quite BSSM . Enjoy!

Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future [VINYL]
Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future [VINYL]
Offered by jim-exselecky

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyone disappointed by Barking, 29 Mar. 2016
A must for any Underworld fan. Expansive on vinyl and requires cranking up. Anyone disappointed by Barking, won't be by this. (I am a fan of the more pop orientated Barking, incidentally - not one of the haters). This is back to being a more complete Underworld release though. Buy and enjoy it!
Although the Amazon Vinyl product includes a free Rip, you also get a code to download a 24-bit version from Underworldlive.

Musically, a lack of fillers is good albeit a 7 -track release doesn't allow for any. Their most enjoyable release since Beaucoup Fish.....

Heroes - Season 4
Heroes - Season 4
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Disgruntled Prime customer - part watched the season then it was changed to a pay per view, 8 Jan. 2016
This review is from: Heroes - Season 4 (Amazon Video)
I was particularly enjoying this having watched seasons 1-3 through my Amazon Prime membership. I had watched the first 9 of 19 episodes prior to Xmas, and then had a break from it to find you now want to charge me £1.89 per episode.

Exceedingly disappointed......what's the reason......and where was the warning???

Neon Bible
Neon Bible

4.0 out of 5 stars Back catalogue buy, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Neon Bible (MP3 Download)
Downloaded on the back of the Glastonbury performance. Great album, but probably the weakest of the 4 albums to date. Standout tracks are ' No Cars Go', 'Keep the Car Running', 'Windowsill' and 'Intervention' (latter has an interesting use of a church organ).

If new to AC, I suggest the excellent 'Reflektor' and move on via 'Funeral' and 'The Suburbs'.

Still a great album though, hence 4 stars

Everyday Robots
Everyday Robots

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully melancholly., 10 July 2014
This review is from: Everyday Robots (MP3 Download)
Beautifully melancholly........if you've missed out on Damon since Blur, well worth a purchase. It is reminiscent of the simpler, less bouncy Blur songs, but is simply beautiful. Check out the title track, 'Lonley Press Play', 'The Heavy Seas of Love' and the pure fun of 'Mr Tembo' (about an elephant apparantly).

This is one of the most uplifting albums I have bought in a while. Great in the car, but admittedly needed a couple of listens to get used to the melancholly nature of it.

The Suburbs
The Suburbs

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album., 10 July 2014
This review is from: The Suburbs (MP3 Download)
Great album......won many accolades including Best International album at the 2011 Grammys.

Worth buying for the title tracks, Ready to Start, and Sprawl II alone.

I woudl suggest, if you are new to AC to try 'Reflektor' first.......their best work

Reflektor
Reflektor

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Glastonbury, 10 July 2014
This review is from: Reflektor (MP3 Download)
Outstanding. I am a partial new convert, having bought 'Funeral' many years ago, yet didn't persevere past it. (It is superb incidentally).

...then Glastonbury happened....

Having thoroughly enjoyed on BBC (I have never been one for camping!), tapping my toes along, enthralled by the energy of it all, I downloaded AC's albums the following day.

Whilst I recognise this is probably a move towards a more synthesized approach for AC, it is not the dance album many some fans claim it to be. You won't hear any track sandwiched between Dizzee Rascal and Daft Punk at the club (am I showing my age?)

Frankly this is AC's best release to date, and as The Suburbs won so many awards (Grammy for best International album 2011), surely Reflektor will follow with another shelf full......this is a better listen with a more varied audio approach.

If you're in any doubt, preview the best tracks such as 'Reflektor','We Exist', 'Normal Person', 'It's Never Over (Hey Orpheus)' & 'Afterlife'.

My best purchase of the past 12 months.......just wish I had discovered priro to their tour!

Purple Rain
Purple Rain

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 15 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Purple Rain (Audio CD)
Even nearly 20 years later this is a classic. I don't think the purple one ever surpassed it, but he had a very hot streak during the80s and early 90s.

Buy this......excellent.

BIG TV
BIG TV

3.0 out of 5 stars Difficult 3rd album, 15 Sept. 2013
This review is from: BIG TV (MP3 Download)
I awaited the release of BIG TV with great trepidation having loved the superb (5 star) releases of 'To Lose My Life...' and 'Ritual', but this is a disappointment. It's not bad, just average and a bit samey. It needed a bit more of a kick. Admittedly they have set the bar high, but nonetheless, disappointing.

Auto Paint Direct TUP29124 Touch Up Paint
Auto Paint Direct TUP29124 Touch Up Paint
Offered by Xtreme Auto Accessories

2.0 out of 5 stars Check the Paint code!, 1 May 2013
I have no doubt this is a quality touch up paint, but this colour is the Pacific Blue Skoda used in the 90s. The current Pacific Blue used in the 2010s is code Z5Z5

Page: 1 | 2