Profile for Petruchio > Reviews

Petruchio

Balancing Acts: Behind the Scenes at the National Theatre
Balancing Acts: Behind the Scenes at the National Theatre
Offered by Audible Ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars AUDIOBOOK version has poor sound quality: test it first., 14 May 2017
I bought the AUDIOBOOK version as I'd heard some of it on Radio Four and thoroughly enjoyed it. What a shame the sound quality is so poor. It sounded so good on the radio, why make the audio download such a poor quality file?

Large Thai Buddha Gold Bronze Tea Light Holder Figurine Ornament
Large Thai Buddha Gold Bronze Tea Light Holder Figurine Ornament
Offered by mydealsaver

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 24 Jun. 2015
Perfect for a window sill.

Becoming Queen
Becoming Queen
Offered by Audible Ltd

2.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunate choice of narrator, 7 Jun. 2015
This review is from: Becoming Queen (Audio Download)
The actor who reads this book is well known for her role in The Archers where she plays the pretentious and self-obsessed Lynda Snell. I couldn't get past this audiobook being Lynda Snell sharing village gossip, which totally trivialised any scholarly elements in the text. I'm impressed that Audible allow for downloads to be returned.

Sennheiser MX 365 In-Ear Portable Media Players Headphones - Blue
Sennheiser MX 365 In-Ear Portable Media Players Headphones - Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Best I've ever had, 16 Jan. 2015
I mostly listen to classical. I've tried various different plug type earphones and these are way better than any others. Lovely warm rich sound.

SONOS PLAY:3 Smart Wireless Speaker, White
SONOS PLAY:3 Smart Wireless Speaker, White

2.0 out of 5 stars Spoilt by a very, very basic controller, 6 Nov. 2012
Having heard a lot about Sonos I finally decided to give it a go by buying a P3 (the smaller one) and a `bridge' to connect it to my home wifi. Amazon were offering the bridge for free so it seemed like a good deal.
For me the set-up process wasn't as easy as it claims to be and was a long way from the `Apple experience'. I couldn't get the software from the CD to find the signal from the bridge and ended up downloading an updated version of the software (for my Mac) from the Sonos site. I tried five or six times before it worked and don't know if it was the software from the disc or the new version that finally did it. Connecting the P3 itself was straightforward.
You can only listen to music or podcasts when your computer is on and open (unless you have another library plugged in to your modem), though you can listen to internet radio without it, controlling things with the free phone app.
As for the sound, its ok but no wow factor and I'd certainly need to try the bigger P5 for my smallish living room.
As for adjusting the sound - the Sonos laptop controller has basic treble/bass/balance/loudness options but none of those seems to correct what, to my ears is a hole in the middle of the range. If my iPhone 4S can have 24 different EQ settings for different genres, why can't Sonos have more than just bass, treble and balance sliders? To listen to BBC Radio 4 on Sonos, I've reduced the Bass to around 10% and treble to 30%. I then have to change the settings to listen to anything else. As sources vary so much, it would be better if there were an easily accessible range of EQ options on the controller itself.
The weak link in the Sonos chain is the desktop/laptop controller. It's really basic and not thought through at all. I listen to a lot of podcasts, which is mainly why I bought the system. To play one you have to get back to the Main Menu, choose `Music Library', then choose `Genres', then scroll down to `Podcasts', then choose a Podcast `Channel' (e.g. Radio 4), then scroll down to find the programme, then click on the right episode (they don't seem to be in a particular order). So whereas iTunes lets me play recent podcasts with two clicks and no scrolling, Sonos requires at least six clicks and a lot of scrolling. (On the free Sonos iPhone controller its at least seven as you're also asked to confirm you want to listen). I'd like to see shortcuts to `My Music', `My Radio', `My Podcasts' so I can play my favourites quickly with no scrolling at all.
Similarly when wanting to listen to the radio, even having set up `favourites' you have to go through four menus before you can hear anything.
I couldn't agree more with the reviewer who asks for Sonos to play direct from iTunes. Where iTunes lets you personalise everything around the way you listen, the Sonos controller has none of that flexibility. iTunes lets you see track/album/artist/etc. all at once, the Sonos controller only shows you one of these at a time, making it more difficult to browse - especially if you have multiple versions of anything. Tracks or podcasts beginning with `The...' are listed under `T' and there's no shortcut alphabetical navigation on the desktop version. Added to this, the font and overly generous spacing mean you have to scroll all the time.
The search function is confusing as it only searches the mode you're in. So if you're listening to the radio and decide you want to play an album, you can't search for it without first going back to the music library menu. And you can't use search to find everything in a particular genre like you can on iTunes. You have to (you guessed it) go back to the main music menu, then into music library, then into genres and scroll down.
Also annoying that content appears even if it won't play because of format or digital rights issues.
My other main gripe is the prominence of the `queue' feature. This allows you to set up and store playlists. I'll probably never use this but it takes up around 20% of the controller screen and I can't see any way to hide it. It's frustrating to have to scroll around in a small area to find music, podcasts or radio when there's so much space not being used. The `zone' controls also take up a lot of space that should really be available for presenting sound files in a comprehensive way that's easy and quick to navigate.
I'm really surprised Sonos gets so many excellent reviews when the controller/library is so basic. My guess is the system is entirely aimed at those who want to create their own pop/rock playlists. If you mainly listen to spoken word or music that isn't all about the top and the bottom, or you want to move around your library/podcasts quickly, you might want to investigate other systems.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 24, 2012 5:01 PM GMT

Marie Antoinette
Marie Antoinette
by Antonia Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely gripping!, 12 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Marie Antoinette (Paperback)
All the cliches about not being able to put a book down apply here. It was so satisfying to learn so much about the period and the subject whilst being pulled into a gripping story that kept me turning pages. An incredible life wonderfully told.

A Thing in Disguise: The Visionary Life of Joseph Paxton
A Thing in Disguise: The Visionary Life of Joseph Paxton
by Kate Colquhoun

4.0 out of 5 stars A really fascinating read, 12 Jun. 2012
I really enjoyed this book. It's a gripping story about a hugely talented, driven and influential man and his work as a gardener and designer that led to him designing The Crystal Palace for the Great Exhibition. I live near Crystal Palace (where it ended up) and bought the book to read on a visit to Derbyshire, which included a day at Chatsworth, where he was head gardener and developed his ideas. If you're at all interested in the Victorian Age, gardens, design/architecture or Chatsworth you should enjoy it. I've given it 4 stars because there were times I wanted the author to run with the drama rather than be quite so cool. Having said that, it was very special to sit in the arboretum Paxton planted and read this book. Many thanks to the author.

Really Useful Filing Box Plastic with 10 suspension files A4 19 Litre W290xD255xH395mm Ref 19C&10susp
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited

2.0 out of 5 stars NO LABELS ON THE FILES!, 16 Nov. 2011
The one drawback with this great box is that there are no labels on the suspension files, so no way of knowing what you've put in each one, without going through them all. A small but vital issue for a filing system. I checked the manufacturer's website and they don't sell the labels or files with labels. Really annoying. What's the use of a filing system with no labels?

Verdi Arias
Verdi Arias

4.0 out of 5 stars A real revelation!, 8 July 2010
This review is from: Verdi Arias (Audio CD)
I downloaded a single track of this album just to hear what it was like and within a few days had downloaded the rest. I can't stop listening to it. Wonderful to hear such a beautiful bel canto approach to Verdi arias that are often belted out by more dramatic voices. Glorious. Nice to have a few less well-known tracks too. I'm now very keen to hear her sing live. And please can we have more albums. Glorious.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 29, 2011 10:50 AM GMT