Profile for Luis Suarez ate my hamster > Reviews

Content by Luis Suarez at...

Luis Suarez ate my hamster (Sheffield)

Shantaram
Shantaram
by Gregory David Roberts

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting read, 8 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Shantaram (Paperback)
This novel is both a combination of travel writing, crime thriller and one which questions your own beliefs as to the nature of of peoples crime and punishment for those who accept their wrongs. The prose if poetic although a bit flowery at times, I despaired the amount of times the author over described someones eyes and the flecks of various colours within. The main character is also a bit difficult to relate to at times. He's not likeable enough to dismiss his failings as acceptable nor is he flawed enough to be treated in the anti-hero mold. It is certainly better than average (3) but with enough gripes for me to consider it a masterpiece. I had two main issues. The first is as the way Lin is written. You initially think from the back cover that the story is autobiographical and this increases your interest. But as the story develops you feel that certain aspects are exaggerated and distorted. There is nothing wrong with poetic license but ultimately when it crosses into fabrication and you have been told otherwise I felt a little cheated and question what, if any of the story actually happened. My second gripe is the actual plot. The first half is gripping as we read Lin's story ad I was with him all the way but then about half way through there begins a sub-plot of an underground terrorist/revolutionary type that comes out of nowhere and bubbles under the surface for the rest of the book. Ultimately the reveal is disappointing. The final climax of the story as Lin travels on his greatest and most dangerous adventure since arriving in India also becomes apparent as probably not the actual truth and is a step too far plot wise for the wonderful, thought provoking character we meet at the beginning. With all that said, a good book will always have bits that not everyone likes and understandably those parts are more closely scrutinised and critiqued than perhaps those of a lesser book. It's worth a read without a doubt.

The Fourth Bear: Nursery Crime Adventures 2
The Fourth Bear: Nursery Crime Adventures 2
by Jasper Fforde

4.0 out of 5 stars Nursery madness, 4 Mar. 2009
A huge fan of Jasper FForde and I think I might be in the minority but I actually prefer the nursery crimes series to Thursday Next. I do wonder though how far he can go with this series. After a while I grew less enthusiastic about Thursday as I felt the books started to be a bit samey. I could see the same happening here as the nursery character premise could grow tired quickly. That said, this book is full of Jasper's excellent prose and the usual witty dialogue and other worldy situations. All in all, an excellent book and one i would strongly recommend.

Layer Cake
Layer Cake
by J. J. Connolly

4.0 out of 5 stars Liked it, 19 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Layer Cake (Paperback)
Four stars instead of five because I felt that I should be rooting for the main character but couldnt quite find it in my heart to do so. Still a good read.

A Spot of Bother
A Spot of Bother
by Mark Haddon

2.0 out of 5 stars Why?, 19 Feb. 2009
This review is from: A Spot of Bother (Paperback)
Struggled to give this two stars to be honest. Liked incident of the dog but this is poor. The characters are unlikebale and stereotypical, the plot. well what plot was that then.