Profile for Colin Madden > Reviews

Content by Colin Madden

Colin Madden "Cojimbo" (Ireland)

Page: 1 | 2
Lenovo Ideapad Z500 15.6-inch Laptop (Dark Chocolate) - (Intel Core i5 3210M 2.5GHz Processor, 6GB RAM, 1TB HDD, DVDRW, LAN, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Nvidia Graphics, Windows 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good hardware - some software issues, 1 Dec. 2013
The laptop itself is great - very stylish, slim, has all the keys you could want and more, and contrary to what some reviews say, the keyboard is fine. The webcam isn't exactly powerful but gets the job done, and it has a USB 3.0 port on the side (as well as two 2.0 ones) which is nice. The screen in my opinion is very sleek and clear. I read some reviews about the laptop saying the screen was awful, and I was expecting the worst, but I really don't know where the dislike comes from, because I think it's really nice. I don't bring it outside and look at it in direct sunlight, but in my room with lights on or off the screen couldn't be sharper and there are no shine problems. The touchpad isn't great though. It's not bad for scrolling, but the scroll and the buttons are on the same pad, i.e. effectively, there are no buttons, so when clicking it's too easy to end up scrolling away from what you were on in the process. I use a USB mouse, so it's not a problem for me, but I can imagine it being annoying. You do sort of get used to it though.

The only flaws I find are the software. There are a few issues with the software that I haven't quite gotten my head around. Whenever I turn it on it says the touchpad has failed to initialise and I get an error message, but then the touchpad is fine afterwards. Nitro, as well, caused some problems, and the flash players often crash. Since it's software, I suppose the laptop isn't at fault, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Overall, I definitely recommend it.

Draper DIY Series 02266 Ratchet Screwdriver and Bit Set, Standard Packaging - 14 Pieces
Offered by Langley Steelworks Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, 1 Dec. 2013
When I bought this I actually thought it looked a bit cheap and that it would be annoying to have only one screwdriver, but it's turned out to be perfect. It's very easy to use and the bits are scored in the base, so you don't lose them easily. The place where the bits go is magnetised to prevent them from falling out. I bought it nearly a year ago and I've had no problems whatsoever.

V7 Professional Neoprene sleeve for tablets, ipads, mini PC up to 16" black
V7 Professional Neoprene sleeve for tablets, ipads, mini PC up to 16" black

5.0 out of 5 stars Effective and functional, 1 Dec. 2013
This protects my 15.7-inch laptop very well and it fits perfectly around it. I also used it in the past for my 13.5-inch one and it was fine.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable ears, 1 Dec. 2013
These pads do exactly what they're supposed to and there are so many of them that you won't run out any time soon after buying them.

Tout Tintin: L'Integrale DES Aventures De Tintin
Tout Tintin: L'Integrale DES Aventures De Tintin
by Herge

5.0 out of 5 stars All of Tintin's adventures in one book, 1 Dec. 2013
This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm a big fan of Tintin and feel that where possible it should be read in the original language. I wanted to get a copy of all of the works, but it required a lot of time and money to buy each book separately. It's so handy to have them all in this one place. The only flaw I could say is that a hardback cover would have been nice, but having said that, the product is sold as a paperback so I shouldn't complain about what they're not selling.

Quiksilver Men'S Messenger/College Bag. "Le Roy" Black
Quiksilver Men'S Messenger/College Bag. "Le Roy" Black
Offered by IBrands

5.0 out of 5 stars My constant companion, 15 Jun. 2013
I got this in October 2010 and still use it to this day. It's comfortable, holds plenty, and has a little pocket inside with a zip for any small things you don't want to lose. I've carried very heavy things in it many times, but the strap and the bottom of the bag are still fine and show very little signs of wear. A great buy.

WD 500GB Portable SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Blue
WD 500GB Portable SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Blue
Offered by Extreme_Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well for PS3, 15 Jun. 2013
I bought this for my PS3 but was quite nervous about changing it. There were lots of varying opinions about which type of hard drive was appropriate, and stories about how some of them cause the playstation to overheat etc. This has caused absolutely no problems though and the transition was seamless. As long as you look up a youtube guide about how to change the hard drive then you should have no problems.

20 Pairs of Moldex Spark 7800 Ear Plugs
20 Pairs of Moldex Spark 7800 Ear Plugs
Offered by HardwareForYou

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 15 Jun. 2013
These are excellent. You get loads of them first of all, so you don't have to worry about running out quickly. As well, you're supposed to use them up to 4 or 5 times, but realistically you can use them a lot longer than that as long as you keep them in the plastic when you're not using them. One thing though to note: I used to just push them into my ears but they often fell out after a bit and provided limited sound insulation. If you squeeze the plug flat and hold your ear up before inserting it then it's very, very effective at keeping out noise and not falling out.

Silverline SP1236 Combination Spanner, 8-19 mm - 12 Pieces
Silverline SP1236 Combination Spanner, 8-19 mm - 12 Pieces

3.0 out of 5 stars Good spanners but bad cradle, 15 Jun. 2013
The spanners are fine but the thing that holds them is very poor. I'd expect them to fit tightly into their slots, but instead they don't at all, and unless you pick it up with it completely flat then the spanners will fall out, so it's impossible to move without then having to put everything back in place.

Pass ECDL 5 Units 1-7
Pass ECDL 5 Units 1-7
by Flora R. Heathcote

5.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 15 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Pass ECDL 5 Units 1-7 (Paperback)
I'm quite happy with this purchase. It tells you everything to need to know in order to pass your exams. It's well-structured and it's easy to find what you're looking for. As well, in spite of the length, unless you're completely computer-illiterate you can skip the vast majority of it, so it's not as daunting as it might seem.

Page: 1 | 2