Profile for Brian H > Reviews

Brian H

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
Eddingtons Potato Skrub'a Gloves
Eddingtons Potato Skrub'a Gloves

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for digging potatoes from an allotment - not sure about scrubbing potatoes, 11 Aug. 2016
I can't help thinking that these are being marketed for the wrong purpose - or at least a doubtful secondary purpose.
I use them for digging potatoes. I bought these as a replacement for my old pair that got lost.
However careful you are with a fork, some potatoes from the allotment get damaged. The use of gloves like these allows me to dig them out with my hands and knock the earth off them without damaging them. I also seem to reliably find more, so less are left to unexpectedly grow next year in the wrong place.
Some soil passes through the gloves so you get dirt under your nails still, but I find they provide a sturdy enough outer covering to the hand to make them the best tool for the job.
When I was looking for replacements for my old pair, I was initially confused by this advert as it makes them look like a novelty product for scrubbing potatoes. It was only after I got some that I realised they were the same thing I had previously - then marketed as potato harvesting gloves.
I can imagine they would suffer from the pitfalls noted by the lower star reviewers if used in the kitchen. I certainly wouldn't bother with them for scrubbing potatoes.
As I say, I wonder if they are being marketed for the right purpose and should really be sold under gardening products - my five star rating is totally for that.

BOTTLE, PLASTIC, 1LTR CP07 By HIGHLANDER
BOTTLE, PLASTIC, 1LTR CP07 By HIGHLANDER
Offered by Top Quality Tools

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 11 Aug. 2016
This is only the second one star review I have ever written - I'm not that critical without very good reason.
I purchased two of these bottles because they looked just like the ones I used for walking trips years ago. The ones I had (for years) in those days were perfect for my needs, and most of the others that are now on the market seem like they have been designed as fashion accessories.
First off, both immediately leaked through their caps. I liked the idea of this type of bottle so much that I learned to live with that and simply made sure they were not laid on their sides when full. After about twenty days of walking, the plastic retaining strap on the top of one of them snapped and I was forced to face the reality that these bottles are simply unfit for purpose. Identical bottles that I had years ago coped with rugged use for years so these have been clearly been manufactures and marketed without any consideration for the end user. I now intend to point the supplier to this review and ask for my money back.

iBetter Motorola MOTO G4/G4 Plus Case, High Quality Hybrid KickStand Case for Shockproof Defender Cover Motorola MOTO G4/G4 Plus 5.5" Smartphones (White)
Offered by worldzoness

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my Moto G4, 24 July 2016
I am really pleased with this case. My Moto G4 fits snugly into it, and the splashes of colour on the case (white in relation to mine) match the white of the phone. This case fits over the whole phone with the back of the phone remaining in place (on an earlier Moto phone, that my wife owns, the case replaced the back of the phone). That is helpful because the back of the Moto G4 is not very securely attached. The case gives the phone a good, chunky grip, which I like, and the rubberised material must surely give the phone a better chance of survival if/when dropped. There is a flap built into the rear of the case which folds out to prop the phone on a table - a bit like a picture frame. The buttons on the side of the phone are encased by the plastic so you have to push the plastic to push the buttons, but that presents no problem. I imagine the design may contribute to a degree of water resistance, but I'm sure it's generally better to keep phones away from water. All in all, I couldn't be happier with this case.

OneTigris MOLLE Adjustable Tactical Smartphone Pouch Quick Release Buckle Phone Holster Mobile Phone Belt Case for 4.7" iPhone6 6S 5.5" iPhone6 Plus 6S+ Galaxy Note 4, Blackberry 8300, HTC One Max (Black)
Offered by OneTigris Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for my Moto G4, 24 July 2016
This case is perfect for my Moto G4. The phone is within a iBetter Motorola MOTO G4/G4 Plus Case and that still fits fine - a comfortable fit without being tight or floppy.
I usually buy Viper cases for attaching to belts as they are very well made. This one could have been made by Viper. It is made of what seems to me to be identical material, and the high quality of stitching is similar. Prior to purchase, I was slightly concerned by one review which suggested that the belt connection was inadequate because it used press stud connections. However, the vertical straps can be threaded through horizontal webbing loops before connection to the press studs - also, if you only use the lower webbing loops, there is space to hang this on any size of belt. What I just wrote might make little sense until you look at the back of the case, but the fact is that the resulting belt loop is rock solid. It will not detach in any circumstance I can think of, and I will update this review if it ever does.

Hadrian's Wall Path (Cicerone National Trail Guidebook and Map Booklet) (Cicerone Walking Guide)
by Mark Richards

4.0 out of 5 stars A Fine Guide to the Wall, 14 July 2016
I have just returned from walking the 84 miles of the Hadrian’s Wall Path and so have used this guide in action, so to speak.
It is a convenient size (6.5 X 4.5 inches) and it is clear, well written, informative and well laid out. It also contains many nice photographs. It also comes with a protective, plastic cover sleeve.
It contains a separate booklet of 1:25,000 scale OS maps of the whole trail. I used that for navigation the whole way without complication. There is no need to carry bulky OS maps in addition.
There are two practical issues that I encountered with the guide.
The first was in relation to the separate map book. The route is denoted by a red line. It is quite hard to see through the red marker line to the map beneath unless you look very carefully. On the move, that makes it slightly tricky to easily see if you are supposed to be walking on a road or a track. The red colour is also not dissimilar to the colour used by the OS for some roads.
If the book was to be reprinted, the author might like to consider using a more transparent yellow line, or similar, to highlight the route.
The other practical issue relates to the direction in which the walk is described. On the cover of the book it says that the trail is described west-east and east-west. That is slightly misleading.
The trail is primarily described west-east (staring in Bowness and ending at Newcastle (or South Shields if you want to walk on to the North Sea coast). The book is written as if walking in that direction in the sense that Bowness is at the beginning of the book and the description of things to see on the way is primarily integrated with the west-east narrative.
Unfortunately, I had arranged to walk east-west before I purchased the guide.
The concession to the east-west walker, such as myself, is a short section at the end of each west-east description that simply summarises the basic route from the opposite direction. That makes the guide a little cumbersome to read for the east-west walker.
If you have decided to walk east-west (starting at South Shields or Wallsend), then you might want to compare this book with guides that are primarily written in that direction.
If you haven’t decided on your direction yet, you may want to consider walking west-east. That would put the prevailing wind at your back which can be an advantage in poorer weather conditions. This book would be ideal for such a walk.
Overall, this is a fine guide. If I ever walked Hadrian’s Wall again, I would take this guide book with me and walk west-east

Harbour Housewares Tent Pegs. Pack of 100, 23cm - 9" Long
Harbour Housewares Tent Pegs. Pack of 100, 23cm - 9" Long
Offered by Rinkit Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars For your garden NOT for your camping trip, 25 May 2016
These pegs are absolutely excellent for holding down cloches and other items in the garden. I got them for that purpose and am very pleased with them. They are sturdy enough for that task and very long. I am also a camper, however, and, as others have said, I can see that that they are not thick enough to be up to the job of of being hammered into hard ground to hold a tent.

Scart Plug BNC Socket Adapter CCTV Television Video
Scart Plug BNC Socket Adapter CCTV Television Video
Offered by Consoletronic Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars No problem, 17 Sept. 2015
Despite the low price, it works perfectly well.

Electronic Water Timer
Electronic Water Timer
Offered by Garden Selections

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 6 Aug. 2015
I have finally perfected an automated watering system for my greenhouse. It consists of a 210 litre water butt, a length of normal garden hose and some good quality, pressure compensated drippers that are fitted directly into the hose - plus, of course, this timer.
Obviously it needs all the components to work properly, but this timer is brilliant. It will deliver water for a user defined time at user defined periods. It just opens and shuts a valve so water pressure is irrelevant - it still works with an almost empty water butt.
I fill the water butt once a week with a dilute concentration of tomato feed and all I then do is sideshoot the tomatoes, tie them to the canes as they grow and eat the tomatoes. No need to take time watering, ever again. Also the regularity make for consistent watering which is important with tomatoes. I've had it about a month and batteries have not been changed yet.

Nokia BATNOBL4C Battery for Nokia BL4C / 6260 / 7200 / 7270 / 2650 / 5100 / 6021 / 6100 / 6170 / 6260 / 6300 / 6301

1.0 out of 5 stars Careless and misleading advertising, 6 Aug. 2015
The advertisement for this product clearly states that that it will fit a Nokia 6021. It does not. This battery is a BL-4C. I now realise that a BL-5B that is required for my Nokia 6021 phone. Careless and misleading advertising.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a wonderful example of something that does just one thing and ..., 19 July 2015
This is a wonderful example of something that does just one thing and does it in a way that's hard to better.
You set it by rotating it to the time you want. When it reaches that time, it rings.
The advice given by another reviewer is important in that you want to set it for the maximum time and then rotate it back to the time you want as the rotation winds it up and hence dictates the length of the ring.
Even then, the ring doesn't go on for more than a couple of seconds. You need to be in the same room.
If that's want you want, this is it - it's a kitchen timer for someone that's in the kitchen with it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8