Profile for oldmum13 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
The Winter Creek Beast
The Winter Creek Beast

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun read, 17 Aug. 2017
Horror normally isn't my genre, but I enjoyed this book. It's a quick read (more of a novella than a novel) and it's a comfy read; sort of like curling up on your couch and coming across a surprisingly cool movie on T.V. Nor is it super scary: this is not the kind of horror that will give you nightmares, which I mean as a compliment. No scene is needlessly gross. Rather, the characters are believable, the dialogue is well written, and as another reviewer noted, the ending has a fun twist I didn't see coming. There was even an edge of pathos to it that served the story well. I personally wouldn't have minded the author expanding on the story a bit, but I think he accomplished what he set out to do. Recommended.

Gone: Catastrophe in Paradise
Gone: Catastrophe in Paradise

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great read. The author is trying to do something ..., 16 July 2017
This is a great read. The author is trying to do something different with how she tells the story, and she succeeds at it; I'm not quite sure how to describe it, but the book is not the typical, dry journalistic account. It's more imaginative than that, if that makes sense for a work of non-fiction. What also impressed me was that I knew from the first page what was going to happen, and yet the author managed to ratchet up the suspense to the point where I didn't want to put the book down. All in all very entertaining, and informative. Highly recommend.

Gibbon Soft Toy 30cm
Gibbon Soft Toy 30cm
Offered by D&S Retail Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely soft toy, 23 Nov. 2016
This review is from: Gibbon Soft Toy 30cm (Toy)
Bought this for my little boy and it's very sweet and soft and cute--it was bigger in actuality than it looks in the picture. The arms are quite long, but then again, it is a primate!

Joy Toy 640053 Jabba The Hutt Plush Toy
Joy Toy 640053 Jabba The Hutt Plush Toy

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought this for my son's 6th birthday thinking a ..., 23 Nov. 2016
I bought this for my son's 6th birthday thinking a Jabba the Hutt soft toy a bit...strange, but he absolutely loves it. More surprisingly, so do I. It's extremely soft and cuter than any toy of Jabba deserves to be. Although I have already had to stitch the hand back on, my son can be a little rough with his toys so that's perhaps not much of a surprise!

Dream World: Book Two of The Dream Waters Series
Dream World: Book Two of The Dream Waters Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first book, 23 Nov. 2016
I've already written an ecstatic review for the first book, but I wanted to make the point that I think the second book actually eclipses the first--something that is so often not the case in a series. The story is more satisfyingly complex, more characters are revealed, and so much more is at stake. There's an underlying intelligence to it, in addition to the drama and romance. I'm fascinated to see the direction the series takes in the third book; a part of me wishes I hadn't discovered these books until they were all written, because it's so difficult to wait! Not too bad of a complaint to have about a book, really. Let's just say I am very much looking forward to entering the Dream World again. Highly recommend.

Dream Waters: Book One of The Dream Waters Series
Dream Waters: Book One of The Dream Waters Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievably imaginative and compelling, 6 Nov. 2016
Well, I've just made myself physically ill by reading the two books available in these series back to back over the last 24 hours--and that is the highest praise I can give the series. I love it. I'm no fantasy fan, but I became interested in this book after seeing it advertised on Twitter, so I decided to give it a go. To say I was hooked is a vast understatement. Calling the genre fantasy doesn't really do it justice, because it's so much more than that--these are real people, with real feelings and fears. The characters are complex, compelling, and nuanced. The story is wildly imaginative. The writing is good. I would say more, but I'm terrified of ruining the plot. And let me be clear: I don't know the author. This is no favour I'm doing for her, and I am an incredibly fussy reader. But I love this book, and I loved the second one, too. I don't know what I'm going to do until the third one comes out!

RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds
RSPB My First Book of Garden Birds
by Mike Unwin

4.0 out of 5 stars While the artwork is beautifully done, photos would have been more helpful for ..., 5 Jan. 2015
My 5 year old absolutely loves this book, but my only complaint is, why did they use drawings instead of photos? While the artwork is beautifully done, photos would have been more helpful for actually identifying birds in the wild. It just seems like a strange choice to me. The information provided, however, is cheerful, interesting, and about the right amount for little ones.

NEW Re-Wind Eco Friendly Compact Pocket Torch - Features: Wind-up Action, Rechargeable and Solar Powered, Powerful 3 LED Beam, Red Colour - Ideal Accessory for Walking, Hiking, Camping, Festivals, Power Cuts, Car Breakdown Internal Emergency Light - Never Needs Batteries! 2 Year Worldwide Guarantee
Offered by Re-Wind UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent buy, 5 Jan. 2015
We bought these for our kids after their kiddie ones broke, and they've worked out great. We keep them on the windowsill during the day so they never run out of power, and although they've been dropped countless times, they keep going. They also give off a good amount of light, at least for our purposes. Worth the extra money.

Star Wars Clones vs. Droids Ultimate Sticker Book (Ultimate Stickers)
Star Wars Clones vs. Droids Ultimate Sticker Book (Ultimate Stickers)
by Dk

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for stickers and reading, 5 Jan. 2015
Beloved both as a sticker book and a bedtime book. A bit pricey but considering the hours and hours of use my little boys have gotten out of theirs, I really can't complain.

Knights helmet with a visor for children
Knights helmet with a visor for children

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly sturdy, 5 Jan. 2015
We've had these for months, and they still haven't broken yet. That alone merits 5 stars. More importantly, my 5, 4, and 2 year old children love them.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7