Profile for IvanKo > Reviews

Content by IvanKo

IvanKo

The McKinsey Engagement: A Powerful Toolkit For More Efficient and Effective Team Problem Solving
by Ph.D., Paul N. Friga

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Prep for Business Consulting, 26 Feb. 2012
I recommend this book for anyone aiming a career with McKinsey, BCG, Bain and etc. It gives a great insight into a consultant's mind. I regret not reading before taking MBA Strategy classes!
However, if you need a deep-dive into McKinsey lifestyle and some tips'n'tricks of how to work 80+ hours/week while staying happy-you better go for 'McKinsey' mind where you find much more of hands-on help how to perform better and look sharp.

Great Application Essays for Business School (Great Application for Business School)
by Paul Bodine

2.0 out of 5 stars A few Nice Ideas but no More, 26 Feb. 2012
I purchased this one to complete my MBA reference letters with my sponsors. Instead of purchasing the book you may save money and time just by asking a trial hour with an admission consultant. I didn't find much of compelling ideas in the book.

McGraw-Hill's GMAT with CD-ROM, 2009 Edition (McGraw-Hill's GMAT (W/CD))
McGraw-Hill's GMAT with CD-ROM, 2009 Edition (McGraw-Hill's GMAT (W/CD))
by James Hasik

2.0 out of 5 stars Below Average GMAT Guide, 26 Feb. 2012
As with most GMAT books, except for Manhattan guides,- it's a poor helper compared to GMAT Official Guide.
I purchased 15+ books back in 2009 and this one is one the bottom of my list

Samsung 900X3A 13.3 inch Laptop (Intel Core i5 2467UM 1.6GHz, 4GB RAM, 128GB SSD, WLAN, BT, Webcam, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit)

1.0 out of 5 stars AVOID!, 26 Feb. 2012
This Samsung is worst price/quality you can encounter. It's pricey, it's low-performing and low-quality and all of that supplied with below-average after-sales support.
I purchased 900X3A on Amazon back in June 2011 as an alternative to Mac Air so I don't have to buy a Windows license. Its low-performance comes from super-poor in-built wi-fi. As others mentioned - unless you are 1-5 meters away from the wi-fi spot you won't have any stable connection. I have to use an external wifi adapter which is bulky and it consumes a USB-port.
Exterior is of low-quality - paint went off from Space button within a few months. Scratches popped up on the surface with no reason. The shiny panels collect grease and dirt very successfully.
The most disturbing drawback is the AC/DC port which gets disconnected so you can't charge the machine. I had to give the laptop back for a month to have it fixed. It's still not fixed - I have to manually fix the socket by opening the laptop.

The support is just a worst nightmare. The troubleshooting agents reply quite quickly, but it doesn't help. I purchased the thing in the UK, but French support of Samsung doesn't speak a word of English!!! UK supporters refuse to get involved and insist that if I won't to have the laptop fixed I have to call Frenchmen.
Frenchmen charged me 150 Euros to fix the AC/DC issue above despite me having a valid warranty. As mentioned above - the issue isn't fixed!

It was my worst PC-related purchase ever. I pay this price for stepping away from Lenovo which served me so well for 5 years!

To put it all in one word you may follow the title - AVOID!
Ivan