Profile for Mrs. D. Kirk > Reviews

Content by Mrs. D. Kirk

Mrs. D. Kirk (Hornchurch, Essex)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8
While My Eyes Were Closed: The #1 Bestseller
While My Eyes Were Closed: The #1 Bestseller

2.0 out of 5 stars Moves at a snail's pace, 17 Aug. 2016
When I started reading this book it grabbed my attention because the description of the main character's home life was realistic. However, I found the present tense narrative style with detailed descriptions of every minute of the day a slog to read and after a couple of chapters, in which I noticed a few inconsistencies, I felt that the story was moving very, very slowly and I couldn't be bothered to read any more. I am surprised at all the five star reviews. This book needs proper editing and the author should read some James Patterson or Peter James to see how to get a story moving. I am not a fan of either Patterson or James, having read only one book by each author to see what all the fuss was about, but I can appreciate their skill in achieving a fast-paced storyline and making you want to turn to the next page, which, in my view, Linda Green fails to do. Perhaps if this book had been 150 pages shorter I may have tried to read on, but in my view it is way too long and drawn out and moves at a snail's pace.

Ghost Stories
Ghost Stories

1.0 out of 5 stars I am shocked to learn that these stories have been written by an acclaimed author, 30 July 2016
This review is from: Ghost Stories (Kindle Edition)
I am about half way through this book of short ghost stories, if you can call them stories, and I am really struggling. The 'stories' are pointless, predictable and devoid of any kind of suspense or intrigue. The writing is stilted and grammatically awkward in places, with some jarring choices of metaphor. Since the book was free I was sure I was reading something self-published that needs editing, probably written by a gentleman who has taken early retirement and has nothing else to do. I was therefore in complete shock when I Googled John Waddington-Feather and discovered that he is an award-winning author and playwright; chairman of this; fellow of that; and, like myself, he used to be a schoolteacher! Well, he ought to know better. Had he been a self-publishing unknown I would have given this book 2 stars for effort, but as an acclaimed author he should be able to write a convincing ghost story, or if that is beyond him, he should at least be able to manage some decent prose.

Goodbye, Dearest Holly: Ten Years On
Goodbye, Dearest Holly: Ten Years On

3.0 out of 5 stars Certainly not the moving tribute to Holly Wells suggested by the title, 11 Jun. 2016
I cannot begin to imagine how terrible it must have been to have lost the beautiful Holly Wells. My own 10 year old son is my entire life and I have no idea how I would feel if I were to lose him in such a dreadful way. My husband visited Soham in 2002, after major cancer surgery, so that he could pay his respects to Holly and Jessica because he was grateful to be alive and so sorry that the Soham girls had lost their lives so senselessly. For this reason, I am giving the book 3 stars. I am sorry to say that if I did not feel such compassion for Kevin Wells after what he has been through, I would have given this book 1 star.

This book is a real chore to read. I am currently just over half way through and I am not sure that I will make it to the end. There are some interesting bits of information, but it is full of banal detail and the worst part for me is that the author is so unlikeable. I have read 'Killing For Company' by Brian Masters and in the extracts from his diary, Dennis Nilson comes across as a strangely appealing and intelligent character. Kevin Wells, on the other hand, comes across as a boor. He manages to make you feel sorry for all the people with whom he comes into contact, and he is somewhat over-zealous in his appreciation of Manchester United which unfortunately comes across as jarring. His unerring faith in psychics and mediums is also quite alarming. It is difficult to empathise with him because he tells us relatively little about Holly's character so you don't feel as if you know her or share the pain of his loss.

I purchased this book because I recently read 'Bye Mam I Love You' by Sonia Oatley. which is a much better read. You feel as if you know Rebecca Aylward and you therefore experience Sonia's anguish. Her ghost writer brings the entire episode to life. I think Kevin Wells may have benefitted from using a ghost writer rather than an editor, because whoever edited his book certainly did not do a great job, and the end result is not the moving tribute to Holly suggested by the book's title.

Sarah's Story - They cruelly stole my childhood. Here is my story of recovery and triumph

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't believe this story is true, 16 May 2016
I wish I had taken notice of the one star reviews I read for this book before buying it. The product description likens it to A Child Called It by Dave Pelzer but this book is nothing like his. Dave Pelzer was abused by one family member who was ill. She went on to abuse his brother Richard after Dave was taken into care. All this is believable, if possibly exaggerated in places, I don't know. However, Sarah's Story is NOT believable.

I downloaded the sample and I was interested because Sarah is about my age and I thought I would be able to relate to her. However, I am not yet halfway through the book and she has encountered THREE paedophiles - not a paedophile ring passing her around, but THREE, unrelated, independent paedophiles. I just don't believe that. What's more, the description of the sexual abuse is more like something you would read in a top shelf magazine than the memories of a traumatized victim. It is just so graphic, as if it has been written to shock.

If I am wrong about all this, then I am very sorry Sarah, I apologize unreservedly, but this book seems to me like someone has invented a childhood of abuse to cash in on the misery of children who are genuinely abused and brave enough to tell their stories, like Dave Pelzer. I will not be reading any more of Sarah's story. I am glad that I only paid a pound for it and I wish I had believed all the negative reviews, however, I recently read Dirty Old Man by Moll French which also had a lot of bad reviews and I loved that one, so I thought I would give Sarah's Story a chance. This time the negative reviewers were right!
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2016 7:24 AM BST

Confessions of a Chocoholic: A humorous insight
Confessions of a Chocoholic: A humorous insight

1.0 out of 5 stars Not very funny or interesting, 17 April 2016
I didn't get far into this book. I didn't find it funny or interesting. An account of every day life is simply not enthralling and it was not particularly humorous in my view. Not for me.

Long Time Coming (Fated Loves Book 1)
Long Time Coming (Fated Loves Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Too boring for me., 17 April 2016
This book was much too boring for me and I gave up on it really quickly and went back to reading Marie Corelli who knows how to get a story moving really fast. I should have persevered I suppose but this really was not for me.

The History of Sumatra Containing An Account Of The Government, Laws, Customs And Manners Of The Native Inhabitants

3.0 out of 5 stars Not enough about the East India Company, 17 April 2016
This book is beautifully written and there are lots of very interesting bits, but I had been hoping for more information about the operations of the British East India Company there, whereas this book is more to do with botany. There are very few references to the important people who governed there, so it was not a great deal of use for my research, but It depends what you are looking for.

The Corrections
The Corrections

1.0 out of 5 stars Unreadable, 17 April 2016
This review is from: The Corrections (Kindle Edition)
For me, this book was unreadable. I did not get past the first few pages.

Dirty Old Man (A True Story)
Dirty Old Man (A True Story)

4.0 out of 5 stars Bad grammar and some odd spelling, but still a great book!, 17 April 2016
I am very fussy about grammar and spelling in the books I buy for my Kindle and I am usually highly critical. This book is full of peculiar grammar choices and incorrect spelling and for once I didn't care, because it didn't matter. The author's style is very conversational and the grammar and spelling mistakes do not detract from this, so despite the inaccuracies it was still a pleasure to read and it felt as if Moll French was in the room, telling me about her past. I miss her now that I have finished reading the book.

Moll was no angel herself and she comes across as a strong, challenging personality. Her story is believable. She did not have underage sex and her husband did not break the law, he was just - as the title of the book says - a dirty old man who should have known better. I understand entirely why she married him and put up with him for so long, and I think she was in love with him when they married, even though she does not remember it that way. Whilst I am nothing like Moll, I have experienced a destructive relationship myself and I think I learnt a lot from it, as I am sure she did, too. I was able to identify with her and I understood exactly why she found it so hard to leave. In my view relationships will always be difficult for Moll and I hope that the happiness and security she has now found will last a long time.

The 8th: A Tale of Horror and Revenge
The 8th: A Tale of Horror and Revenge

4.0 out of 5 stars I hated this book, but I imagine a lot of people would love it!, 1 Mar. 2016
I absolutely hated this book. It seemed to be made up of the author's perverted fantasies and the 'revenge' described in it is more like an excuse to write really graphic sex and violence, which I don't like. I prefer more subtle horror that leaves more to the imagination. However, in spite of this, I am giving the book 4 stars because I imagine a lot of people would really like it, and just because it isn't for me doesn't mean that it is a bad book. It is very well written and descriptions are clear and disturbing. It is obvious to me that Matt Shaw is a talented writer and he deserves a good review, even from a reader who didn't like his book.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8