Profile for Warming Sceptic UK > Reviews

Content by Warming Sceptic UK

Warming Sceptic UK "CPUK" (Yorkshire UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Waterpik WP250 Nano Water Flosser
Waterpik WP250 Nano Water Flosser

4.0 out of 5 stars Pick a Waterpik!, 12 Oct. 2016
I have used Waterpiks for years now, and a better way of getting tip top dental hygiene cannot be imagined. Dentists hate them - you will never need an expensive scale and polish if you use one - and that is presumably why they don't sell them! I use mine morning and night, with a quick brush beforehand to ensure a fresh overnight mouth! The only weakness is that the tube tends to break, well before the unit itself wears out, but if you look hard enough you might be able to get a replacement from the manufacturer. The power rinse also keeps gums fresh, and causes my occasional mouth ulcers to heal promptly. My unit works off the bathroom razor point, which some of the bigger versions don't.
I use mine for other things too; turned down to a minimum pressure, you can safely syringe out earwax (as long as you don't have any inner ear defects!) if in doubt check with your GP! Specially commended if you have crowns or braces, you can really get the crud out of the corners.
Be warned though, you can swiftly dislodge loose fillings etc, but that is perhaps better than swallowing them! If Trump used a Waterpik, he wouldn,t need the TicTacs!

Dr. Martens CABRILLO Crazy Horse GAUCHO, Men's Desert Boots, Brown (gaucho), 10 UK (45 EU)
Offered by Bells Shoes
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars I had already tried on a similar Doc M shoe in one of their shops so I knew they would be a good fit when I bought them on line, 20 April 2016
If I try on a shoe for the first time and it doesn't fit, I never assume that it will "wear in", I just reject them on the spot. I had already tried on a similar Doc M shoe in one of their shops so I knew they would be a good fit when I bought them on line (No qualms about decimating the high street - they are an on-line only item!). I have just worn them for a long day out exploring the pavements and cobbles of the City of York, plus 3 miles to and from my local station and my feet feel great. The most comfortable shoes I can remember buying.

The Midland Hotel: Morecambe's White Hope
The Midland Hotel: Morecambe's White Hope
by Barry Guise

5.0 out of 5 stars Midland Hotel Phoenix., 5 Oct. 2015
Having stayed at the hotel, a copy of this book was an inevitable purchase. It recounts the history of the iconic building, and its resurrection to its present splendour.
Even better, my partner identified a relative in one of the illustrations - a bevy of lovely beauty contest contestants on the grand staircase!

Other People's Money: Masters of the Universe or Servants of the People?
Other People's Money: Masters of the Universe or Servants of the People?
by John Kay

5.0 out of 5 stars Master of the Tale., 5 Oct. 2015
Comprehensive account of the peculations of several generations of bankers.
Not the easiest of reads, but definitely worth the effort if you want to understand what went on behind bank doors and left us still emerging from the present crisis.

HDE Sleek Form-Fitting Ergonomic Curved Wireless 2.4 GHz Optical Slim Mouse with DPI Switch - White
Offered by Ezi Techs

5.0 out of 5 stars Mighty Mouse, 5 Oct. 2015
Neat piece of kit - falls easily to hand and being white, not easy to lose!
Otherwise I might have to tie it to the laptop with a bit of string!
Very plug and play, installation easy.

Skylight
Skylight
by David Hare

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 Aug. 2014
This review is from: Skylight (Paperback)
As described and on time, thanks!

Rautavaara: Song of My Heart; Orchestral Songs
Rautavaara: Song of My Heart; Orchestral Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Shakespeare Songs, 9 Dec. 2011
A most unusual and beautiful setting of Shakespeare songs; especially the unexpected and upbeat version of "Shall I compare thee". A worthy addition to my growing collection of varied settings of the Bard.

Belkin 802.11g Wireless Cable/DSL Internet Gateway Router, New Enclosure
Belkin 802.11g Wireless Cable/DSL Internet Gateway Router, New Enclosure

1.0 out of 5 stars Shame on you Belkin, 28 Oct. 2011
I have had a Belkin 54g wireless modem/router for 15 months now. It has never been especially reliable, and I eventually contacted their tech guys for help. After 2 hours of diagnostic key tapping (They two tecchies who guided me though it need congratulations for their patience, at least!) the unit was declared faulty. I contacted customer services for a replacement under their "lifetime guarantee", and was told that I would have to send the old one back before a new one could be supplied. All fine as far as it goes, but the old one still works on the LAN cable. What am I to do for net access in the meanwhile! I can buy a new one off the shelf for about £12, which I might have to do. Surely any company with a reputation to protect would trust me to return the old faulty unit in a way that would ensure minimum disruption to my links with the outside world!

The Works of Alfred Lord Tennyson (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
The Works of Alfred Lord Tennyson (Wordsworth Poetry Library)
by Baron Alfred Tennyson Tennyson

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear Headed Friend, 6 May 2010
On a recent expedition to a seldom visited corner of my bookshelves, I came across an ancient edition of Tennyson's poems, undated, since the flyleaf had been eaten by mice; and from the condition of the rest of the book, an ornate American edition, almost unread. The whole volume was a triumph of style over substance (or at least utility), ornate binding, small florid typeface, crammed into double columns on each page. No guidance or foreword, only indices of titles and first lines!

What a contast in the modern Wordsworth edition, where even the poem, printed facing the title page("Crossing the Bar") has a brief note placing it in context!

As a social historian manque, and someone who cannot appreciate a work of art without a context, I found this book a useful revelation. The introduction by Karen Hodder, is informed and comprehensive, and accessible without talking down to the reader. It does not shirk from using the occasional long word, but it is not more demanding than the works it introduces. Both she, and the publisher are to be congratulated on eschewing the blight of the academic book - the footnote, a distraction in small print, especially when longer than the main text, and spilling across pages, in favour of "Headnotes", which naturally are read before the accompanying poem. My prayer is that the notes are not so good that they will make reading the actual poems superfluous to todays spoon-fed scholar of short attention span!

There is a story told about Tennyson, who was sitting at a dinner party, next to a young lady, who eagerly anicipated an evening of witty repartee from the literary lion. She was, alas, disappointed. The poet spoke only twice - once to complain to his companion "Madam, your stays creak" (at the soup course); and over the desert "Madam, I apologise, it is not your stays, it is my braces"!

I am glad to say that none of Ms Hodder's (literary) apparatus creaks!

The Real Global Warming Disaster: Is The Obsession With `Climate Change` Turning Out To Be The Most Costly Scientific Blunder In History?
by Christopher Booker

5.0 out of 5 stars Divine Sceptic, 19 Nov. 2009
Human induced climate change is the new religion, and by saying that I agree with all of Christopher Booker's conclusions immediately brands me as a heretic, and eligible for burning at the stake (if that wasn't likely to generate too much CO2)!

The authors argument is that global warming is not taking place, and that fluctuations in global temperatures are caused by factors beyond our control, mainly fluctuations in solar emissions. If only one half of the allegations he makes about the misuse of statistics and bullying of scientists who disagree with the vociferous pro warmists, it would be an international scandal, and a betrayal on the scale of he denial of modern cosmology by the papacy in the middle ages. The difference is that the policy conclusions will, if applied, cause real hardship, international poverty and disruption of the economic order on an unprecedented scale. We will all have to freeze to death to combat global warming!

Page: 1 | 2