Profile for David Hillson > Reviews

Content by David Hillson

David Hillson (Petersfield, Hants, UK)

The Best Of Oscar Peterson
The Best Of Oscar Peterson
Offered by musicMagpie

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 2 Mar. 2013
This man is amazing, my favourite pianist. And this double album has all his great hits and more. It's wonderful.

Pride and Prejudice: 200th Anniversary Edition
Pride and Prejudice: 200th Anniversary Edition
by Jane Austen

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I expected, 2 Mar. 2013
I bought this to the publication mark the 200th anniversary of P&P, thinknig it was a special edition - see the title. In fact it is just the regular text with no intro, nothing to note the anniversary, just a regular edition of P&P with a smart cover. I'd say this is marketed under false pretences. I gave it away to a friend, then bought a proper anniversary editon from the online Jane Austen Society website.

Jupio NP-FS10/11 Battery for Sony Camcorder
Jupio NP-FS10/11 Battery for Sony Camcorder

3.0 out of 5 stars It works, 24 Nov. 2012
It's nothing special, just an ordinary battery that works fine, which is what i wanted so i'm happy with it.

Heaven (Alcorn, Randy)
Heaven (Alcorn, Randy)

2.0 out of 5 stars Too long-winded, 24 Nov. 2012
It was extremely highly recommended by a friend (you know who you are Dr Dave), so I got it in Kindle version. But it seems to go on for ever saying the same thing. I unsderstand and agree with the basic idea, but in my view it doesn't need such a long book to explain it! I gave up about two-thirds of the way through...

iBathUK |Modern Chrome Kitchen Mixer Dual Lever Tap
iBathUK |Modern Chrome Kitchen Mixer Dual Lever Tap

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for low pressure system - but who knew?, 24 Nov. 2012
I'm sure it's a very good tap, but when connected the hot water only came through at a trickle. It turns out we have a low-pressure system, but we didn't know that. The product description does say "Requires min 0.5 bar, but 1 bar preferred", but how were we to know what bar our system is operating at? (In fact it is 0.2 bar. Apparently you ca calculate the pressure as 0.1 bar for each metre between the tap and the hot water tank.)

So the tap was no good. But having fitted it, we couldn't return it, so we had to give it away to our plumber as a gift. Then we bought one at B&Q which is lovely. But we wasted our money on this one. Beware!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2013 3:32 PM GMT

Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to Understanding Hot- And Cold-Climate Cultures
Foreign to Familiar: A Guide to Understanding Hot- And Cold-Climate Cultures
by Sarah A. Lanier

1.0 out of 5 stars Superficial and inconsistent, 5 Nov. 2010
I'm interested in national cultural variation and this book was recommended to me. But I found the argument superficial and unconvincing. It seems to be based almost entirely on anecdotes with little evidence base. For nearly every assertion there are exceptions. I'm not convinced that the hot/cold distinction is real. I felt I'd wasted my money on this book, and have put it in the trash - not even worth passing to someone else.

Where's Your Spotlight?: How to Enhance Learning for Others
Where's Your Spotlight?: How to Enhance Learning for Others
by Tim Andrews

1.0 out of 5 stars not worth it - don't bother, 4 Oct. 2009
This was recommended to me by a colleague because I'm keen to learn how to improve my presentations, workshops and training. I found it trivial, superficial and almost content-free - a real disappointment. The first phrase in the Intro is gratuitous swearing and it goes downhill from there. My only consolation is that it was cheap so I didn't waste too much money on it. I threw my copy away. I still want to learn how to improve in this area, but this book didn't help.