Profile for Amanda Green > Reviews

Content by Amanda Green

Amanda Green (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
What I Never Told You: 'A dark psychological thriller with a shocking twist'
What I Never Told You: 'A dark psychological thriller with a shocking twist'

5.0 out of 5 stars Go read it!, 30 April 2017
This is the first book written by Louise Mullins I have read, and it won’t be the last! I love her writing style; being very easy to read, with believable dialogue and a great pace. All the while, I was reading, I had my ideas on the twist, but it was still a shock how it all fell into place. I loved the way we switched characters to tell the story. A very clever story, told in a very accessible way!
I particularly liked the way we heard Teresa’s side of the story, as the mother of the ‘monster’ showing us the viewpoint of nature vs nurture. It’s a sensitive subject, but go read it!

Casablanca My Heart
Casablanca My Heart

4.0 out of 5 stars I really enjoyed this well researched and well written story of love, 5 April 2017
I really enjoyed this well researched and well written story of love, loss and new beginnings. Not only are we introduced to different countries and cultures, we meet some great characters along the way and get to know their traits and thoughts in depth. Some very interesting character studies!

A Sketchy Life: From Trouble to Notoriety
A Sketchy Life: From Trouble to Notoriety

5.0 out of 5 stars I love the way Kevin has told his story in a ..., 23 Feb. 2017
I love the way Kevin has told his story in a chatty way, using his own words, voice and humour. It’s easy to read and he’s had an interesting life worth sharing, especially as it’s inspiring too about overcoming adversity. I read it in two sittings, and found it hard to put down. I particularly like all the photos he has included as I love to put faces to people. It’s not perfecting written and edited, but that made me like it even more! He has also tattooed me twice and is an awesome artist.

Family Ties
Family Ties

4.0 out of 5 stars A surprise read, 7 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Family Ties (Kindle Edition)
I read this book on my kindle, having downloaded it a couple of years ago, and was scrolling through to find a surprise book. I chose this one after reading the first couple of pages. I had no idea what it was about as I hadn’t seen a description for the story – I didn’t even know what genre it was. I like reading like that sometimes…
I soon got embroiled in the life of Beth; a young lady who, having had adversity in her life as a child had become, let’s say, a little awkward in her dealings with emotions and love.
I liked all the twists and turns that Beth finds along her journey in life as she learns so much about herself and others’.
For women’s fiction, I thought this was an entertaining, thoughtful, well written story based on very few characters, but a whole lot of feeling and romance too!

Family, lust and cameras
Family, lust and cameras

4.0 out of 5 stars I really liked this unusual tale of voyeurism, 31 July 2016
I really liked this unusual tale of voyeurism, confused feelings and dysfunctional family. It was just the right length, I could actually feel empathy for the characters at times, and it had a very satisfying ending for me. I will read more from this author :-)

When Darkness Falls: A Short Prequel to the Black Rose series
When Darkness Falls: A Short Prequel to the Black Rose series

4.0 out of 5 stars when I saw this short story it seemed the perfect read to let me see how I would like ..., 30 July 2016
I recently met Laura at a couple of book signings, and was curious to read some of her work having understood it as being very dark and unusual. So, when I saw this short story it seemed the perfect read to let me see how I would like it. And like it I did. I would never even think about reading this type of genre, but I really did enjoy it for its differences. The devil and innocence, but all consenting and pretty explicit! It has tempted me to try the 'Black Rose Series' now :-)

The Divine Pumpkin
The Divine Pumpkin

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating, 12 Jun. 2016
I was fascinated by the main character’s job, as a Forensic Nurse, and the dysfunctional family lives portrayed within the story and was pulled into the world of Paloma in just the first few pages. There’s no point in me saying too much and spoiling the story, but let me say, it was a very satisfying read.
Hemmie has a talent for creating characters with real depth and meaning, interwoven into interesting, gripping, storylines, and this one does not disappoint. I have read ‘Attic of the Mind’ which was stunning and next is ‘Garlic and Gauloises’. I simply love this authors writing!

The Author, The Gardener and The Woman What Does
The Author, The Gardener and The Woman What Does

4.0 out of 5 stars All about the characters!, 14 April 2016
I enjoyed the twists in the plot of this book, and I feel the author is expert at presenting the intricate details of the characters' personalities and thoughts, making me laugh out loud at times. I did feel it sagged just a little in the middle and there was some repetition where some 'show don't tell' might have come in useful. I would have liked more physical descriptions of the characters as well, early on, and a little editing of the odd wrong word would polish this novel. Having said all of that, I still very much enjoyed the very unique story and for me it had a satisfying ending, so I am sticking with 4 stars!

Conditions
Conditions
by Mr Christoph Fischer

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinated by the characters, 24 Oct. 2015
This review is from: Conditions (Paperback)
Fascinated by the characters, I found myself delving back into this book wondering what they were all doing in their dilemmas. I wanted to read it slowly, and in doing so, their lives almost went at the pace of my own, over the days. It's a story with a moral that we should all understand, but maybe do not think about enough, and it is a moral that I try to relate to others' all the time in my own writing and communication. To write a story that is all about the people in it, laid bare, and without a huge plot is remarkable and I highly recommend this read. Well done.

Reunions: An Anthology of Heartfelt Short Stories
Reunions: An Anthology of Heartfelt Short Stories

4.0 out of 5 stars I found most of these short stories very emotional; ..., 19 July 2015
I found most of these short stories very emotional; leaving me thinking about them for some time afterwards. It is quite a mean feat to be able to bring the reader to such engagement within such short stories, so I applaud most of the authors for being able to manage that :-)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5