Profile for Trader > Reviews

The Marvels of Flying: Air Travel Before 1950
The Marvels of Flying: Air Travel Before 1950
by Andrew Emmerson

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this book, 24 July 2014
I love this book. If you are the sort of person who enjoys Topgear's James May’s reminiscences of his childhood toys and fascination with technology I’m sure you will like this book also. Andrew Emmerson is an accomplished author of readable technical books and in tackling this subject he has covered the history of pre-1950 air travel comprehensively in both textual and graphic form. The numerous colour and black-and-white illustrations, especially the period posters, are worth the price of this book alone.

The book is beautifully printed and finished in the usual Capital Transport Publisher’s style and the handy format makes for a very pleasant reading experience. For less than £10 this is outstanding value. Highly recommended.

Camden Goods Station Through Time
Camden Goods Station Through Time
by Peter Darley

5.0 out of 5 stars A well-researched and very readable book, 24 July 2014
This is an excellent and very interesting book. Well-researched, beautifully printed and containing numerous B&W and colour illustrations, both historical and current. I can do no better than quote from its review by Harry Jack (himself an accomplished author and expert on the L&NWR Railway) in the London and North Western Railway Society Journal:
"Peter Darley is secretary of the Camden Railway Heritage Trust and his knowledge of the local sites is profound" ..... "A wonderful piece of research" ..... "Diligent searches have dug out some rare and quite unfamiliar old pictures, and more recent photographs make fascinating comparisons" ..... "A fine book and I recommend it to anyone interested in the L&NWR"

This book is outstanding value for money and should be of interest to anyone studying the history of our railways/industrial archaeology/London. The author has generously agreed to donate his revenue from the book to the Camden Railway Heritage trust. Highly recommended.

Future Trends from Past Cyles: Identifying Share Price Trends and Turning Points Through Cycle, Channel and Probability Analysis
by Brian J. Millard

5.0 out of 5 stars A Niche Technique Well Explained, 12 July 2013
If you have appreciated any of this author's previous books then you should find this one useful also. I bought a hard copy when it was 1st published; it is obviously a better price now -- I would recommend the Kindle version (not actually got it myself) because you should be able to enlarge the numerous diagrams that are essential to understanding the text. The hard copy printing is rather strange -- the pages are of sufficient size to allow bigger diagrams/chart but many of them have small printing on the axes which makes it difficult to follow at times. In fact if you really need to see the nitty-gritty then you will need to use a magnifying glass (I do have normal vision I hasten to add!). Not withstanding this, the content is up to the author's normal high standards -- Everything is explained and quantified in a proper scientific manner.

As a previous reviewer has remarked, you do need the authors dedicated software to practise his techniques most effectively -- although he does explain how to do it by longhand/the hard way. Strangely enough, throughout the whole book the author only refers to "suitable software" without promoting his own product which in reality is essential to get the best out of the techniques he recommends and explains. All the diagrams and charts in the book are reproduced from his software. You can still obtain software and you may find it a little "buggy" and it can be prone to crashing. However, the benefits it produces are well worth such small irritations. When used properly this software is incredibly accurate.

The book goes on to explain all about cycle analysis and specialises in the techniques of using the software to make effective trades. The techniques contained are not really suitable for day/scalping traders although I personally quite often use the book's techniques on trades lasting perhaps one or 2 days. Used effectively, the software allows good trading for swing and position traders. It is important to thoroughly understand the principles used in this book and for that purpose I would consider it essential to read the author's previous book "channels and cycles-- tribute to J Hurst". Both of these books require the reader to put in a decent amount of effort -- the mathematics are actually very straightforward but if you're not prepared to solidly study and grasp the principles of cycles in trading then don't commit your money!

I recommend this book and suggest that you treat it like an academic textbook. I would definitely get the Kindle version if buying again.

Morphy Richards Daily Loaf 48330 Breadmaker - White
Morphy Richards Daily Loaf 48330 Breadmaker - White
Offered by elevenfirst

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, inexpensive, just works - ideal for small loaves, 29 May 2013
Having never used a breadmaker before I wanted something easy to use, inexpensive and suitable for just one or 2 people. This item fills the bill exactly. The instruction book is very clear and I have now baked 3 loaves using 3 different recipes of the many included. I have been particularly careful to follow the instructions to the letter and the results have been perfect. The instruction book includes a lot of information on how various ingredients affect the style of bread and I found this to be most useful. It really is quite simple to make all sorts of different loaves.

The product itself is nicely finished and has a decent quality feel about it. The rubber feet are a nice touch and protect any work surface. It's very easy to clean inside and out with glossy plastic exterior and non-stick Teflon type cooking pan. As other reviewers have commented, there is no "rundown" timer but you can easily listen to the signal beeps. In fact I set it to work overnight for one of the bakes and just got the loaf out in the morning -- no problem. Otherwise it's just as easy to set a normal kitchen timer to the finish time to remind you. I don't think it's fair to complain at this price!

All in all I am extremely satisfied with this product and can thoroughly recommend it.

20 x 40 WATT SMALL BAYONET CAP B15 OPAL (WHITE/PEARL/SOFT/OPAQUE) CANDLE BULBS DOUBLE LIFE: 2,000 HOURS
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

5.0 out of 5 stars Good service and price for difficult-to-obtain product, 28 Mar. 2013
These bulbs (SBC fitting) are difficult to obtain in local retail shops -- at any price. [Thanks to the green energy brigade]. My order arrived quickly and was extremely well packaged with lots of bubblewrap for protection. The lightbulbs appear to be of perfectly good quality and I have just satisfactorily switched on the 1st one. I note that the supplier offers a very wide range of other lightbulbs etc and I shall definitely use their service next time. Recommended.

WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green
WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive - OEM - Green
Offered by Amy`s Schätze

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value for everyday use -- Highly recommended, 27 Jan. 2013
Purchased this to supplement old existing Seagate 160GB SATA drive on Win7 64bit SandyBridge i-5 system. This drive appears to be best value offered by Amazon itself ( I always buy their kit "sold and supplied by Amazon" because any problems have always been immediately rectified) and this drive has decent write-ups elsewhere on the web.

For all normal use its quick: HD Tune utility shows transfer rate max 148MB/sec compared to 62MB/sec on the old Seagate which was perfectly good for my usual stuff and even that as the operating system drive gave a start-up time to everything available of 50 seconds. This WD caviar drive is being used to store data only and is completely silent and outstanding value per megabyte -- especially compared to solid-state disks.

If you are computer DIY competent then you will have no problems. If you haven't installed a hard drive before -- especially on an existing system you may find these links useful (since although Windows will recognise the drive it won't necessarily automatically make it usable in practice -- you need to do a couple of tweaks!) Be especially aware that there is a proper procedure to move data from an existing drive to the new one and if you don't follow the procedure your poor old computer may get very confused -- and give you a headache into the bargain also!

[...]
[...]

Another problem you may encounter is the SATA power lead: on an older system you may have only Molex connectors or perhaps a limited number of SATA which have already been used. Don't forget to buy a Molex to SATA conversion connector which will solve the problem and cost you very little on Amazon.

Can't find anything wrong with this as a storage solution -- if you need the latest and greatest and money is no object there are much more expensive options -- some of the ones I looked at for example, the Western Digital Red series which are recommended and designed for NAS systems do not transfer data as quickly (and there are good reasons for this) but will cost you more and you might think that more expensive = better. But as in many things in life, it is not necessarily so.

Highly recommended.

Club 3d ATI Radeon HD5450 Graphics Card PCI-e 512MB GDDR3 Memory HDMI DVI 1 GPU
Club 3d ATI Radeon HD5450 Graphics Card PCI-e 512MB GDDR3 Memory HDMI DVI 1 GPU

5.0 out of 5 stars Cheap and very cheerful, 15 Sept. 2012
I bought this video card so that I could run an extra two monitors (making a total of four) from my Sandy Bridge/gigabyte motherboard. Since I don't need high performance for gaming I was able to choose a fan-less item which retains the silent performance of my PC. Since my particular gigabyte motherboard allows video output from the board and a video card simultaneously my four monitors work perfectly -- a word of warning if you plan to do this: make sure your motherboard supports simultaneous feed from card and motherboard; not all boards will allow this.

As in most things IT -- decide what you want to do then choose your spec accordingly. You can save a lot of money this way -- This card employs quite an old video spec by today's standards and I'm sure many spec fashion followers might turn their nose up at it but: £21 and free delivery it does all my video work (Microsoft Office and numerous financial trading program screens involving plenty of simple graphics) so I am completely satisfied. Why spend more? -- today's latest kit will be out of date next year.

PC Magazine
PC Magazine

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, 14 Sept. 2012
This review is from: PC Magazine (Kindle Edition)
Despite some of the unenthusiastic reviews of this product I was pleasantly surprised when I actually came to read it. I thought there were some very well written articles and reviews of the latest developments. I was particularly impressed by the article concerning the technical details of using solid state memory for video customer entertainment in new Boeing Dreamliner aircraft -- it was much better than having to endure yet another account of the latest video game performance.

In my opinion, the technical level of this magazine is above that of some of the run-of-the-mill products and although it is of USA flavour I find that of interest since where their market leads we follow. For a £.90 subscription per month it really is very good when you consider that most of the UK monthly computer magazines run out at about five pounds or more. You can't even buy a decent newspaper for £.90 And as far as I can tell this is the only PC magazine downloadable to Kindle.

I expect many of the review topics are covered elsewhere on the Internet for free (often, maybe not so well written?) but combined with the other articles and being in one handy place (e.g. in my pocket -- have you ever tried getting a copy of PC Pro or other similar sized magazines in your pocket?) I find it of great convenience. When you're busy and have lots of other things to read it's very handy to have a concise digest arrive monthly.

Ordinarily I think I would award this product 4 stars but since it's so ridiculously cheap it's well worth *****. Recommended.

Position Trading (Second Edition) : BUY like a Trader and HOLD like an Investor
Position Trading (Second Edition) : BUY like a Trader and HOLD like an Investor

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth its price, 13 July 2012
I liked this book. The two star review by Rheinhold Schnitzel I think is unduly harsh. As an experienced trader I would admit that quite a bit of what is in the book can be gleaned from the Internet -- but it will be in bits and pieces and even if you know where to look for it, as a beginner you may not recognise it when you see it. It's nice to see all the information in one place, concisely presented and in a readable format. You should also recognise that for less than five pounds it is incredibly good value when you consider that some of the "standard works" for beginners cost considerably more. I always take the view with trading books that no matter how much you already know and how good (or bad) trader you are, that you will learn at least one thing or come across something that will make you question your technique and improve your overall expertise.

I thought that the chapter on using Yahoo information and downloads(much underused and under-estimated resource in my opinion) was well worth the book's price in itself. Tony Loton is a natural author and comes across in an easy way. When you consider that the average magazine these days costs £3-£5 at least and mostly contains useless garbage, then this book with all its useful tips is excellent.

Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite
Kindle, 6" E Ink Display, Wi-Fi, Graphite

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant piece of kit, 26 May 2012
For me, the Kindle is a masterpiece of design and usability. I've long been an enthusiast of portable devices and the 1st usable pocketables I used were the Palm and IPAQ. Although outstanding items of their time they are now well past their sell by dates. I've long been following the progress of lightweight laptops/notebooks/tablets and while they are progressing well the technology is not yet fully mature. Where the Kindle scores is that the design concept is brilliantly simple -- do a few simple things but do them very well.

In order to appreciate the benefits of the Kindle you really do have to adopt a different mindset -- a bit like changing from typewriters to word processing. I possess a large number of books and it is not realistic with current technology (even the Kindle) to read them on an electronic device adequately even if they were available in electronic format -- this is due to their size/photographs/diagrams etc etc. However, for straightforward text (e.g. bonkbuster novels), reports and other suitably formatted media the Kindle is excellent.

I find the Kindle ideal primarily for 2 purposes: (1) carrying lots of textual documents in a very portable and compact format and (2) reading a daily newspaper. The newspaper is the one that has surprised me and satisfied me the most. Like many people I gave up buying expensive (£1.20) per day newspapers a long time ago and got my news from the Internet and 24 hour TV. However I did miss the readers' letters, obituaries -- marvellous mini biographies! -- and informed (even if politically biased) comment. The Kindle has answered this problem for me -- for just over £.30 per day I get an automatic wireless download of the Daily Telegraph (other newspapers to suit but goodness knows why anybody would pay £15 for the Times since Murdoch ruined it). But this is where your mindset has to change -- what you get is a news digest as opposed to a completely downloadable electronic facsimile edition as you can do for the same price on your PC desktop/laptop.
I actually find the digests extremely useful -- it includes all the important stuff and if you are busy it saves having to wade through pages of bumf that you are not really interested in. But as I say -- you need to adopt a different mindset and this applies to the overall use of the Kindle and not just reading a newspaper. If you are the sort of person that found transition to the digital/electronic age comfortable then you will not have a problem I suspect. The Kindle will handle the newspapers' included photographs (albeit black-and-white but I don't find that a problem) and of course you can upload your own photographs also.

As to the actual design of the Kindle -- I bought the cheapest £89 version and am totally happy with it. Like a lot of technology you can pay a lot more for the fancy bells and whistles but the benefits are of diminishing return. The software and hardware are extremely well designed and easy/logical to use. Had it for over a week now with no charging problems -- just plug it into the USB port of your computer if you're doing any document transfers from your PC and will charge quite happily. Presumably if you are going away for a long time without access to a computer you might want to consider a separate charger but for most people I suspect this is unnecessary.

The one essential piece of software I would recommend to use in conjunction with the Kindle is the program "Calibre" which will enable you to do anything you want to documents files and e-books. There is a lot of discussion regarding Amazon's proprietary book format -- calibre is your tool here and there is plenty of information on the Internet on how to use calibre to look after your book collection. If you are non-tech savvy then don't expect Kindle to do anything other than what Amazon say it will do (but that is pretty amazing in itself and I'm sure perfectly adequate for most people.

What doesn't it do that I've tried? Well, I carry round on my mobile phone several spreadsheets containing details of my library. One such file has about 1600 entries on it and it is easily usable on even my bottom-end smart phone. I loaded it after conversion onto the Kindle but although you could get it there and read it I don't think the Kindle's hardware/software can handle it adequately. Surprisingly, despite all the adverse comment I've read about Kindle's handling of.pdf files, I've found it to be very good and conversion of documents on my PC to PDF makes them easily readable -- again we're talking mainly text here. I don't see this paragraph's slightly negative comment on Kindle spreadsheet handling as being any reason not to have the Kindle: I am just amazed that it does what it says it's supposed to do so well -- anything else is just a bonus!

In summary: a well-designed and useful piece of kit which the more I use the better I like. Thoroughly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3