Profile for Lindsay Seagrim-trinder > Reviews

Content by Lindsay Seagri...

Lindsay Seagrim-trinder "Bookworm" (South Wales)

Page: 1 | 2
The Haunted Trousers
The Haunted Trousers

5.0 out of 5 stars outstanding book!, 28 Sept. 2012
I have been looking forward to reading this for a while - the minute I started to read it I could not put it down and read it from start to finish in a sitting! Although specifically written for children I am sure that this imaginative and engaging story will be enjoyed by readers of all ages.

Singled Out: How Two Million Women Survived without Men After the First World War
by Virginia Nicholson

5.0 out of 5 stars A Splendid Book, 3 Sept. 2007
During the recent serialisation of this book on BBC Radio 4 I was reminded of three very remarkable amd memorable women teachers that I was fortunate enough to encounter at Secondary School over 40 years ago. Obviously at that time I was among many who referred to these elderly spinsters - the youngest of whom was 45 - rather unkindly, in the colloquialisms of the day as "past it", "never had a life", "frustrated", "left on the shelf", "needed a good seeing-to" etc., without ever realising the privations that they must have suffered nor the heavy personal loss that they once bore, be it of a much loved father, brother, uncle or fiance. Yet these women stoically "got on with it" and led fulfilling lives as single, professional women.

Now, through Vera Nicholson's book, which tells the story of the two-million surplus women, we know "why"....

Kimono My House
Kimono My House

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Album, 27 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Kimono My House (Audio CD)
I still have my original vinyl LP of this superb work, bought in 1974, and I still love it

Grandson of Morris On
Grandson of Morris On
Offered by positivenoise

1.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As The First Two, 11 Aug. 2004
This review is from: Grandson of Morris On (Audio CD)
As a former Cotswold Morris Musician (now playing for the Widders Welsh Border Morris - check us out!!) I already own and absolutely adore Morris On and Son of Morris On (bought on vinyl in the 70s from W H Smith in Banbury). I had imagined that Grandson of Morris On would be up to the previous standard, and I was, frankly, disappointed. It seemed to lack the "spontaneity" of its predecessors and never seemed to "get going" somehow, and the contributors didn't seem to be having as much fun as on the two previous recordings. Sorry guys.

Alphabet Zoo: Songs from the Television Series
Alphabet Zoo: Songs from the Television Series

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Family listening, 1 Aug. 2004
My children had this on a cassette 20 years ago when they were small; they loved it at once, and now that my original cassette is almost un-playable through much use I have bought the CD to introduce this little gem to my 3-year-old granddaughter. I'd recommend it to kids, Mums and Dads and grandparents too!

The Canterbury Tales [VHS]
The Canterbury Tales [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ultimate Naughty Film !!!!, 5 Jun. 2004
I first saw this film at the cinema in the early 70s and hoped one day it would be issued on video; it is priceless and wonderful, very bawdy for its day but not tasteless like much of today's vomit-inspiring trash which is relentlessy churned out. This film is in a class of its own - I only wish that it had not been dubbed into Italian with English subtitles as this somewhat spoils one's concentration - but I love it!!!

More Than 16 Tons of Bluegrass and Other Fine Stuff
More Than 16 Tons of Bluegrass and Other Fine Stuff

5.0 out of 5 stars My Introduction To Bluegrass!, 5 Jun. 2004
I had never heard of "Bluegrass" until one day in 1968 a classmate brought the LP of "Sixteen Tons of Bluegrass" into school and played it on the music-room record-player!! I was HOOKED from the start; it turns out that my classmate was Pete Stanley's cousin - and after I mislaid the copy of the LP I subsequently bought I discovered Pete Stanley's whereabouts and he very kindly put the record on to tape for me, which I still have. To find this wonderful work now on CD is an absolute joy and I would recommend it to anyone!!

We'll Eat Again: A Collection of Recipes from the War Years
We'll Eat Again: A Collection of Recipes from the War Years
by Marguerite Patten

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite cookbook, 22 Mar. 2004
I bought this book about 20 years ago and use it often, as it is the only cookbook that really inspires me! In these days of Junk Food and microwave meals it is a joy to do "proper" cooking and I reckon this should be required reading for all schoolchildren. If they could be made to realise the dangers that our fishermen and merchant seamen went through to supply our country with food and provisions during the war they'd never, ever say "I don't like that........"

Lifting the Latch: A Life on the Land - Based on the Life of Mont Abbott of Enstone, Oxfordshire (Oxford paperbacks)
by Sheila Stewart

5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Beautiful Book, 27 Feb. 2004
I was recommended to read this book in 1988 when I was living in Oxfordshire, and I only JUST missed meeting "Old Mont" by a few months! His story is intriguing, sad and happy, and very, very inspiring. It's a book that you can't put down and I've read it countless times. Sheila Stewart captures the spirit of Mont so entirely that you can almost hear him talking as you read his words.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 4, 2011 11:39 AM BST

Box & Banjo Christmas
Box & Banjo Christmas
Offered by Todays Great Deal

1.0 out of 5 stars The Worst Record In The World, 4 Jan. 2004
This review is from: Box & Banjo Christmas (Audio CD)
I bought this as a tape from my local garage about 5 years ago, not realising that the title and the cover photograph were SO deceptive! It's "fingers-down-the-throat" time on this one. If you thought you were getting a real banjo and a real concertina, forget it. It's synthesised crap!! It doesn't get any better even when you are off your face and can't stand up. It's the ultimate in "cheese"

Page: 1 | 2