Profile for rusty buckets > Reviews

Retro The Prisoner Number 6 Lapel/Tie Pin Badge
Retro The Prisoner Number 6 Lapel/Tie Pin Badge
Offered by Collectazilla

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 16 Feb. 2017
Cool little badge. Proudly show that you are not a number!

ALIENS: M41A PULSE RIFLE Metal Sign
ALIENS: M41A PULSE RIFLE Metal Sign
Offered by Arcane Store

4.0 out of 5 stars You'll need a compassionate postie though 'cos it's pretty thin. Looks good next to a Spulse, 18 Nov. 2016
Does what it says on the tin.You'll need a compassionate postie though 'cos it's pretty thin.Looks good next to a Spulse.

Logitech G933 Gaming Headset Artemis Spectrum 2.4 GHz Wireless 7.1 Surround Sound Pro for PC, Xbox One and PS4

3.0 out of 5 stars But it's got flashy lights on so all's good right? The package works to a point, 18 Nov. 2016
So far this has been a fairly decent bit of kit.What I do have a problem with is the software. I'm a native English speaker living abroad.I would prefer my software package in my native tongue.Logitech don't allow for this.They will give you a 'region friendly' version.
Logitech 'contact us' is a complete joke.
There is no customer support.
No customer support and limited software choices.
But it's got flashy lights on so all's good right?
The package works to a point ,but I'm feeling I'm not getting the full benefits due to the weird choices Logitech have made.
At least I can make the lights the same colour as my Corsair mouse and Razer keyboard.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 22, 2016 3:12 PM GMT

Razer Orbweaver Chroma Gaming Keypad (Elite RGB Mechanical Switches Gaming Keypad Full Chroma Colored Keypad with Adjustable Hand, Thumb and Palm-Rest)

3.0 out of 5 stars Not great,but OK., 6 Oct. 2016
The keypad itself is fair enough but the Synapse software that comes with is is absolutely shocking. Don't try to change the out-of-the-box lighting effects or the thing just goes dark and there doesn't seem to be any reasonable or logical way to undo it. Kind of an all round disappointment.I've just uninstalled it .I'll try for a reinstall and see if it gets better but it's cloud based so I'm thinking it won't..It's a nice enough idea,but at this price I can't recommend it. Oh and FYI...having to set up a personal account with your own personal details, just to use a plug and play peripheral should be outlawed.Cheeky buggers.
**update** After reinstalling it,it remembers my previous ill advised alterations from before, but the lighting has started working again..so it's gone from a 2* star to a 3*. I'll now leave the settings well alone. It still hasn't made me any better at FPS though. :)

Doctor Who - The Complete Ninth Series [DVD] [2015]
Doctor Who - The Complete Ninth Series [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Peter Capaldi

4.0 out of 5 stars Great season!!, 1 April 2016
Finally they've given Peter Capaldi something to work with.The material he had been given previously had been ,by and large,weak. The whole thing has taken on a far darker and more sinister tone which suits Pete down to the ground. This has been the 12th Doctor's strongest outing yet but unfortunately there's always an exception to the rule and this time it take the shape of 'Sleep No more' . Once in a while ,the writers at Who will bust out a shameless and derivative copy of James Cameron's Aliens and this time, this is it. It's a ridiculous premise besides.
Having said that this box-set gives me hope for the future,after such nonsense as the moon-dragon-egg thing etc. before.
There's a few nods to the PC crowd regarding men and their ego's/testosterone levels.It's irritating but hey ho.At one point a white ,male time lord regenerates into a black woman 'time lady' and a few other pointless inclusions,but it can be mostly ignored.Just wish they wouldn't,that's all.
Jenna Coleman is top notch throughout and after a brief 'settling in' period Maise Williams starts to rock it too.Hope she's back now and again, as a force for the neutral/chaotic.Michelle Gomez is as always Michelle Gomez (a higher compliment there is not;she's just the best/barmiest) and finally Peter Capaldi has something to get his teeth into. A top season all-in-all. Just please drop the preachy PC cobblers.

Star Wars Battlefront- Early access code version (PC DVD)
Star Wars Battlefront- Early access code version (PC DVD)
Offered by Gameseek

2.0 out of 5 stars Who is the more foolish?...., 19 Nov. 2015
Ok.
It looks nice.
Problem though is that it has a fraction of the content of it's illustrious forebear ,BF2.
Don't worry,EA will be along shortly to sell you more content.Yup ,pay full price on a game and get about an eighth of a game.
First day DLC is always a bad sign.
The maps are unremarkable,dare I say boring to look at.The game play of 'run and gun 'is just old now.Played one FPS?Played them all.
I have discovered that trying to use the fighter vehicles is a no-no, at least on my rig ,as they keep climbing in an upwards, left hand spiral and any control input rights you for a mere second, before the dance begins again.It literally cork screws you off the map til you are auto killed.What? The sound doesn't work either.The MP game is eerily silent...no classic effects,no loud bangs,little bit of occasional music and ambient wind noises (oo-er) and that's it. I found on EA's SW:B page that this is quite common and a work around offered by one helpful chap,involving opening and altering documents actually worked.Til the next round started at least and then nada. Back to the quiet.
I took a chance on this.I have NEVER had a good experience with EA/DICE.Their games ALWAYS ship broken.
My advice would forget about Battlefront, at least til next year.That should give them a chance to get their act together.
Who is the more foolish? Me for believing that maybe this time it would be different..

edit.I bought this from Origin .Tried to get a refund today on a product that was all hype and no go. Yeah good luck with that.EA don't give a flying humpty. MMWWUHAHAAA we have your money.....avoid.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 27, 2015 9:20 AM GMT

Sony PlayStation 4 500GB Console (Black)
Sony PlayStation 4 500GB Console (Black)
Offered by ROYAL TRADERS

2.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 19 Nov. 2015
I loved my PS1 and PS 2 back in the day.I skipped 3 but recently thought I'd give it another go.So then I bought PS4.Well the box is nice and the unit looks the part ,but I wasn't prepared for how much this system leans on connectivity.Seriously who need all the bumph about watching other people playing other games? But herein lies the biggest problem for me.The WiFi is absolutely hopeless.It'll tell you it's getting 100% signal but will only connect about 2 times in 10.If you're lucky.That's a deal breaker. I've trawled the forums and this appears to be a well known issue that Sony have totally ignored.
As of last night the hard drive is making a horrible clicking noise too.I wish I could say I'm glad I bought this and it was a really good system.But that would be a lie.It's only a couple of months old and is hardly ever used now because it does not work.Basically not fit for purpose and every time I switch it on my blood pressure starts to climb.
I won't be buying any more Sony products if this is the way it is.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 10, 2016 3:07 PM BST

Alien: Isolation - Nostromo Edition (PC DVD)
Alien: Isolation - Nostromo Edition (PC DVD)

3.0 out of 5 stars In space no-one can hear you complain..., 12 Oct. 2014
I can't say that my experience so far has been good. I bought a new graphics card and 4 GB extra memory and re-installed windows just to be sure that so that my 'puter was up for this.
Yeah despite being stung by Aliens :CM,I went all out on this;putting my faith in Creative Assembly... Rome 2 *cough*cough*
I read an online reviewer say that there is a lot of walking about in this game.
That's OK by me as the game looks fantastic.They really have captured the feel of the original Alien.
BUT,there seems to be game breaking bugs,even in the first 10 minutes.You get up from cryo ,get dressed and talk to the crew,So far so good.You are all called to the bridge and then.....it stops.
Everybody just stands or sits around doing nothing.
Apparently ,according to the A:I forums ,if you talk to the crew first BEFORE getting dressed,by the time you get to the bridge it triggers the next cut scene.Way to suck you out of the game...Amanda is wandering around in her pants.
I have high hopes they'll fix this,although some of the games later footage that I've seen online ,fighting 'synthetic people' does have a look of the 'Doom 3's' about it.
I have invested a fair bit in this so I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt.This will get better as will my score because it's what 'I choose to believe..' ;)

Edit: Ok...on another run through, after speaking to Taylor,who actually gets of her butt and goes to the bridge, this time triggering the next cut scene, I'll up my score to a 4.Without giving anything away,the next scene;transferring from the ship to the station is fantastic. Dunno if CA patched it or what but it seems to work now :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2014 8:11 AM BST

Post Captain
Post Captain
by Patrick O'Brian

3.0 out of 5 stars YAAAAARRRRp?, 22 May 2014
This review is from: Post Captain (Paperback)
Cast your minds ,mateys,to a time of derring-do and high adventures on the seas..remember a time when 3 shipmates had to make good their escape in the dead of winter..cast adrift on the Loire,deep in Frenchie territory, or face the hangman in Paris for failure...Messrs Hornblower,Bush and Brown.

Now consider Jack Aubrey escaping on foot dressed as a bear.
Seriously, what?

I'm breaking the habit of a lifetime by actually posting on something that I've not finished reading,but the bear thing really makes me wonder if I can go on.
I can see the attraction of the O'Brian mythos,with it's archaic dialogue and attention to detail,but so far having finished Master and Commander and gone straight into this, I wonder if my time couldn't be better spent elsewhere.
They are not easy books to read.They are very loosely structured causing moments for pause and to read over ,because you appear to have missed something,due to the sudden and unexpected change of pace and often characters and location,all crammed into one paragraph.
I've found the characters were pencilled in and not given depth at least to begin with,but I'm sure they'll flesh out in time.
How can they not with 21 books?
The most intereseting parts,to me at any rate, are the engagements at sea,based on historical accounts of Cochrane.They seem to jar compared with what's going on around them though.
Just when your beginning to run before the wind ,all sails set,you're smack bang back in Pride and Predjudice or following Stephen Maturin around Spain with a butterfly net...
I bought this set on faith so I don't intend to go down without a fight..I'm only on Post Captain,book number 2, but damn your eyes sir A BEAR costume....really??

Life and Times of Horatio Hornblower, the
Life and Times of Horatio Hornblower, the
by C. Northcote Parkinson

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff, 9 May 2014
I must confess I only recently discovered this book,but as a fan of HH I gave it a turn. I must say it is a fine addition to the Hornblower mythos;the detail given to his childhood ,schooling and family was truly well done. Personally I found the chapters of the 'potted versions' of the adventures to be the weakest points (in no way bad) ,already being familiar with the stories,but they were worth reading again and certainly would be a great help to someone unfamiliar with them.On that note,I cannot suggest strongly enough ,that if you haven't read Hornblower then don't start here. This is a brilliant companion piece ,but the books themselves are unsurpassed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3