Profile for Sebster > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Zero to One: Notes on Start Ups, or How to Build the Future
Zero to One: Notes on Start Ups, or How to Build the Future
by Blake Masters

2.0 out of 5 stars Europeans just react to events as they happen and hope things don’t get worse. The indefinite pessimist can’t know whether the i, 18 Jan. 2017
I was unable to read further after I read the following:

"the ECB might as well print “Kick the Can Down the Road” on the euro. Europeans just react to events as they happen and hope things don’t get worse. The indefinite pessimist can’t know whether the inevitable decline will be fast or slow, catastrophic or gradual. All he can do is wait for it to happen, so he might as well eat, drink, and be merry in the meantime: hence Europe’s famous vacation mania."

How can you take anything Thiel says seriously after THAT?

Vacation mania? Because we don't work ourselves to death? Because we have paid maternity leave? It's funny how happiness levels in Europe have improved more than in the US, attributed at least partially to the work/life balance issue... And here comes Peter...

Stopped reading and will return the book. No thanks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 29, 2017 10:23 AM BST

To Sell is Human: The Surprising Truth About Persuading, Convincing, and Influencing Others

4.0 out of 5 stars Great if you make it through the beginning of the book, 2 Aug. 2014
The book is so boring at the beginning that I put it down repeatedly and stopped reading it altogether for a year! That is until I read "Drive" by the same author and loved it so much that I thought there must be something in here. Low and behold, deeper into book there are some real perls of wisdom.

Don't be discouraged if you find the start slow. It does get better.

Talk Like TED: The 9 Public Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds
Talk Like TED: The 9 Public Speaking Secrets of the World's Top Minds

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book all around, 2 Aug. 2014
I swallowed this book hole. It's engaging and interesting. It gives a lot of very good advice on public speaking as well as generally useful information for business and communication. I highly recommend it to anybody who interacts with people as part of their job i.e. pretty much everybody.

The Art of Mental Training - A Guide to Performance Excellence
The Art of Mental Training - A Guide to Performance Excellence

2.0 out of 5 stars No science, no proof, old concepts., 2 Aug. 2014
If you believe in psychics and want to hear stories about some old master, then this book is for you. For me, it's fiction or anecdotal with no hard evidence to back up anything, at best. Some of the concepts are valid but I'm completely allergic to the presentation. "As my old master Leo Tai used to say...". Really not my cup of tea.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 16, 2014 10:55 PM BST

The Personal MBA: A World-Class Business Education in a Single Volume
The Personal MBA: A World-Class Business Education in a Single Volume

5.0 out of 5 stars I was sad when it was over..., 29 Nov. 2013
If you can manage not to compare it to "normal" books, it's amazing. What I mean is that each chapter is usually only a couple of pages long. Sometimes it feels like it reduces the flow of the book. However, as the author explains, it's designed to help you pay attention throughout.

The content otherwise is as advertised. Important concepts boiled down into a comparatively short book.

Smashing UX Design: Foundations for Designing Online User Experiences (Smashing Magazine Book Series)
by Jesmond Allen

3.0 out of 5 stars Ebook is poor, 7 April 2013
I liked the examples they use talking about real cases but that was it for me.

I don't like writing bad reviews but no body had mentioned the following:
- reversing the colours on the Kindle app produced an all white screen
- seems like it hasn't been proofread at all (cApitalisation issues and duplicate words)

That spoiled it for me so now I'm trying the oreilly book.

Aside from the above I'm not impressed with the structure and organisation of the content but that can be personal preference, the problems above are not.

The $100 Startup
The $100 Startup
by Chris Guillebeau

5.0 out of 5 stars Lots of helpful advice, 5 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The $100 Startup (Paperback)
The book doesn't pretend there is some magic, unique formula for ultimate success, unlike the 4 hour work week for example. There are many interesting stories and anecdotes but it doesn't come across as bragging. There is no talk of founding the next Apple or Facebook. It's about good work paying off on different scales.

It's an encouraging read that has motivated me to take action, one step at a time.

The Second Coming
The Second Coming
by John Niven

5.0 out of 5 stars Hands down the funniest and most brutally honest book I've ever read!, 23 Nov. 2012
This review is from: The Second Coming (Paperback)
I could write a whole essay about why I love this book, but we're on the internet so I'll keep it brief.

1. I've never laughed out loud as much as I have reading this book. It probably helps if you have a decent understanding of religion and the bible. Some of the humour could be considered fairly crude but I found it very fitting.

2. There is some brutally honest and true social critique in the book. It really made me think.

3. I've never had a physical and psychological reaction to reading a scene in a book like I did, when Jesus performs his song with the "big black kid". I would pay money to have the memory of reading it erased, so I could again have the experience of reading it for the first time!

4. The simple message of "be nice" and the more likeable version of God (and Muhammad) have rekindled my dying belief in God. I now really hope there is a God and that he is something like the God in this book. My dad died when I was 12. Seeing him again would be... heavenly.

It makes me sad that a book like this doesn't get more attention. The explanation may be that you need a certain level of (religious) education, free thinking and sense of humour in order to see why the book is so outstanding. The combination of those qualities seems rare.

Thank You John Niven!

The Happiness Advantage: The Seven Principles of Positive Psychology that Fuel Success and Performance at Work

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Read!, 4 Sept. 2012
Having watched the great TED talk by Shawn Achor I wanted to check out his book. I'm really glad I did. I was interested in the science more than the practical advice because I didn't feel I needed it. However, the book has reinforced my belief in habits that I already had and has added some great new ideas to try. I would recommend this book to anybody who... just anybody who can read. It's full of interesting concepts and practical ideas, backed up by research rather than anecdotes or the belief that the universe will realign if you wish hard enough.

I would highly recommend this book.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2015 3:23 PM GMT

Open Sources 2.0: The Continuing Evolution
Open Sources 2.0: The Continuing Evolution
by Chris DiBona

3.0 out of 5 stars Random Collection of Essays, 27 July 2012
I made it about half way through the book before I started using it to raise my monitor off the desk. The shared insights didn't particularly apply to me (MSc student) or impress me enough to keep fighting through the book. I'm a fan of the open source movement and what it does but the book didn't "speak to me". It might be more interesting to other people.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3