Profile for K. Hutchings > Reviews

Content by K. Hutchings

K. Hutchings "Katherine P" (Bath UK)

Top to Toe: The ultimate guide to becoming who you want to be
Top to Toe: The ultimate guide to becoming who you want to be
by Nicky Hambleton-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars Going forward, 15 Feb. 2008
A beautifuly presented book, making it an easy read as it is so delightfully presented. However, the presentation is just the icing on the cake. Inside is an open an honest appraisal of getting organised and getting what you want. What surprised me is the ease with which Nicky Hambleton-Jones takes you on a journey.
I found her focus on knowing what you want or having a dream not only interresting but useful points on crystallising that dream. The idea of on paper as a wish list is incredibly easy. I have only formalised it all in my head but already my shoulders felt lighter - it is a joy to know you can do whatever you want and even if you don't succeed it is better to do it than not.
Obviously Ms. Hambleton-Jones has been succesful so her advice is easy to swallow but it is the idea of turning dreams into reality that is the key motivator here.
The book is straightforward, full of practical tips for transforming body and mind. It is nice to read a book that is about self help but doesn't wander off into spirituality. It remains grounded in the here and now but wisely allows you to choose your destiny. The use of experts helps it to be more rounded and gives additional perspectives.
Overall Top to Toe is a pleasurable read and has a cheery disposition - you can't help but be infected!

Fashion Babylon
Fashion Babylon
by Imogen Edwards-Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars So last year but still a great read!, 28 July 2007
This review is from: Fashion Babylon (Paperback)
I waited for the paperback copy so I could really get stuck in unlike my firend who bought thehardback and rationed herself to 2 or 3 pages a night to make it last as long as possible.
It is a great fun read and if you love fashion the insider info is hilarious. Great holiday or weekend under the duvet book.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Children's Edition]
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Children's Edition]
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars All good things come to an end, 28 July 2007
It was great to read the final installment well worth the wait. I've enjoyed the years of indulgence waiting for the new edition and this was a conclusive ending. Nothing disappointed me about the book. Rawling cleverly and obviously got all her emotions out. The characterisation of opinions on good and evil and fallibility whether wizard or muggle is pitched well at its audience. I did cry and I was gripped

Suite Francaise
Suite Francaise
by Irène Némirovsky

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative view of a time, of a society and of war, 12 July 2007
This review is from: Suite Francaise (Paperback)
I read this book on holiday in France and was captivated by the writing, the descriptions and the portrayal of people. I am quite suprised by some of the comments of it being 'unfinished' given the author was killed in Auschwitz in 1942 and never got to complete her incisive commentry on life in France during the war and its occupation.
Irene Nemirosvsky's writing (and the transaltion)is beautiful and I felt transported to the time and place she has captured in her writing. The tragedy is not only her appalling end but the lose of what was to come. A true masterpiece and a gifted writer.

Thin Secrets: How to be Slim without Dieting
Thin Secrets: How to be Slim without Dieting
by Lizzie Kingsley

5.0 out of 5 stars A good dose of common sense, 21 Jun. 2007
I really like this book. It is the second book in this vein, I've read this year (Make Do & Mend also on amazon the other one) and what I like about this new genre is it makes you take charge of your life and the choices you make. Lizzie writes with good examples of how and why you can make a choice about your weight. This book puts things into perpsective and just knowing you can decide is a great motivator. Would recommend

Skinny Bitch
Skinny Bitch
by Kim Barnouin

5.0 out of 5 stars No stone unturned in the fight against indulgence, 19 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Skinny Bitch (Paperback)
Harsh but fair! The book makes you realise we'd all be better campaigning against multi million pound food companies than being carbon neutral. Too the point and easy to read even the gory bits - I did look away from some of the tales. I don't think I can commit to 100% veganism but I will apply the 80/20 rule. From now on 80% of the time I will be the best vegan I can and do it for all the right reasons. Then I think 20% of the time I can have the odd piece of fish, meat and a bit of cheese. The junk is going going gone!

MAKE DO & MEND - How to Buy a Designer Handbag Whilst Remaining Friends with Your Bank Manager and Your Conscience
by Kate, Battrick

5.0 out of 5 stars Great way to stop spending, 12 Mar. 2007
I loved this common sense book. Really useful easy to read and has handy spaces to make notes. I've already cut back on my overdraft and started to save. Would recommend.