Profile for A long term FM fan > Reviews

A long term FM fan (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
The Friendly Swede - Set of 2 Swim Goggles, Black and Clear
The Friendly Swede - Set of 2 Swim Goggles, Black and Clear

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best goggles I've ever owned - and great value too!, 27 Nov. 2016
I've been a regular swimmer (in indoor pools, not open water) for almost 40 years, and these are probably the best goggles I've ever owned, and - at £9 for two pairs - the best value for money too.

They're very well designed: an extremely comfortable fit (the durable straps are easy to adjust and three different size nose pieces are supplied); they almost never leak; and they don't fog up (at least not yet - I've been using them for just over a year and there is no sign of the coating wearing away).

Of course, you can't expect them to last forever. but I've paid three times the price of these for goggles in the past and they haven't lasted as long.

Overall, I'd unhesitatingly give these goggles my very highest recommendation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 5, 2017 11:04 PM GMT

(They Long To Be) Close To You
(They Long To Be) Close To You

3.0 out of 5 stars No complaints about the actual song but...., 22 Oct. 2016
The mp3 version sounds incredibly quiet compared to downloads by almost every other artist that I have in my collection. If you have the necessary program/software to correct this then of course it isn't a problem, but if (like me) you don't, then having to turn up the volume so much (and then down again for the next song) is rather annoying.

TOP cartridge Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for HP 350XL (Black)
TOP cartridge Remanufactured Ink Cartridge Replacement for HP 350XL (Black)
Offered by TOP cartridge

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of Money - Completely useless!, 2 Oct. 2016
I have a HP C4200 printer, which this cartridge is supposedly compatible with, but I couldn't get my printer to recognise it so it proved to be completely useless - a total waste of money!

Mr. Monk on the Road (Mr. Monk Mysteries)
Mr. Monk on the Road (Mr. Monk Mysteries)
by Lee Goldberg
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best in the series, but you really need to read this book if you plan to read the subsequent ones, 30 Sept. 2016
With such an unusual central character, whom you'll either love or loathe, the Mr Monk books may not be to everyone's taste, but they make up one of my absolute favourite series of novels. I find them very well written and totally engrossing - I don't think it took me more than 3 days to read any of them.

Having said that, some are better than others and this particular book is probably my least favourite. Not much happens really and I'd say it's easily the weakest in terms of the murders / mysteries to be solved. However, it has an important role to play in the series due to the introduction of a new character who features quite heavily in subsequent books.

In summary, this is definitely not the place to start if you're new to Monk and looking for a first book to read (of course, they're best read in order and I'd highly recommend starting with book one), but if you've read the previous books and plan to read the subsequent ones, then you really should read this one too.

Hazelnuts milk chocolate cinnamon dusted-500g
Hazelnuts milk chocolate cinnamon dusted-500g
Offered by Chocolate Buttons

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 30 Sept. 2016
Chocolate and hazelnut is, of course, a classic combination: add a touch of cinnamon and the result is even better. So you shouldn't be surprised that these fresh, crunchy hazelnuts, coated in good quality chocolate and then dusted in just the right amount of cinnamon are truly delicious and very moreish (although sadly they're not exactly healthy, and also a little pricey).

Just Treats Yogurt Coated Cranberries (500g Treat Bag)
Just Treats Yogurt Coated Cranberries (500g Treat Bag)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great product, even taking into account the low price, 30 Sept. 2016
The yogurt is very thick and doesn't taste particularly nice, while the small cranberries are unnecessarily and excessively sweetened. Eating these is certainly not the pleasurable experience that it should be (and the high sugar content means they're far from a healthy snack too).

The Innocence of Father Brown - Volume 1
The Innocence of Father Brown - Volume 1
by Matthew J. Elliott
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars Awful choice of narrator made listening to this a very unenjoyable experience, 23 Jun. 2016
My problem with this audiobook is not that the stories are somewhat dated or that they lack action & credibility at times, because I knew roughly what to expect in this regard: this is archetypal English fiction from the early part of the 20th Century.

Rather, what spoils the experience for me is the choice of narrator. I can accept the sarcastic, superior tones to a degree as part of Fr Brown's personality, but the monotonous, yet camp & insincere, public schoolboy accent drives me to distraction after a couple of minutes - I can think of few potential candidates less well suited to narrating audiobooks. (I'd love to hear TV's Mark Williams reading these stories).

I bought this to help me drift off to sleep, but all it succeeded in doing is making me want to strangle Mr Timson so that I never had to hear his annoying voice again! (Yes, I know I could just turn off the hi-fi and I'd never hear his voice again.... and of course that's exactly what I did - before the end of the first story).

The Shadows 54 Guitar Greats
The Shadows 54 Guitar Greats

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent musicianship and a wide range of material, but perhaps lacking a little coherency, 15 May 2016
The first disc includes most, although not quite all, of their biggest UK hits from the 60s. The tracks on the other two discs are from much later: the second includes covers of classic 80s hits, while the third contains versions of tracks included in films or musicals produced over several years.

Individually, each disc is excellent and therefore it's a recommended purchase - I'm sure that very few fans of guitar music will be disappointed after listening to any one of them.

However, for me (and this is of course purely my personal opinion) the product doesn't quite work when listened to as a whole: it seems somewhat disjointed and there is little sense of the evolution of the group that you would expect to get when listening to a box set of material from artists who have been around for so many years.

Tracklisting as follows:
Equinox (Part V)

Atlantic Gold
Atlantic Gold
Offered by phil56681

4.0 out of 5 stars One of the triumvirate of great soul labels from the 60s / early 70s heyday ..., 24 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Atlantic Gold (Audio CD)
One of the triumvirate of great soul labels from the 60s / early 70s heyday of the genre (along with Stax & Motown), Atlantic is responsible for a host of recordings which every music fan should have in their collection - and many (from Aretha Franklin, Ray Charles, Otis Redding, Sam & Dave, Booker T & the MGs, and The Drifters to name but a few) are featured on this excellent 3CD set. As usual with Atlantic releases, sound quality is very good too, considering the age of many of the recordings.

If listening to this CD doesn't lift your spirits, get you singing or humming along (as you remember days gone by if you're of a certain age), or make the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end then you just may need a doctor!

The reason I've only given 4 stars is because there are better options available for both the dedicated fan and the new or casual listener. Most serious soul fans will surely already own at least the "best of" albums from all the major artists featured plus the more comprehensive 8CD set Atlantic R&B 1947-74 (making this 3CD release redundant), while people who want to experience classic soul for the first time would be better opting for something which includes tracks from other labels too: the 1995 Warner Music releases Ultimate Soul Collection Volumes 1 & 2 would be my personal choice (90 tracks and every one of them an absolute gem).
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 29, 2017 1:04 PM BST

Animals
Animals
by Simon Beckett

4.0 out of 5 stars Engrossing and disturbing...highly recommended, 11 Mar. 2016
This review is from: Animals (Paperback)
When the main character in a novel does such despicable things to people as the mentally ill young man at the centre of this book does, it feels wrong to sympathise with him. But this book is so well written that this is exactly what I found myself doing. .

It's another thoroughly engrossing read from one of my favourite authors (even if he does seem to understand the ways of the psychopathic mind rather too well!) My only sight gripe is that the ending is a little weak in comparison to the rest of the book - which is unusual for Mr Beckett as there is often an unexpected and very satisfying twist at the end of his books.

Some of his work is hard to find, but I recommend that you track down copies of everything he's written: it's all first rate stuff.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11