Profile for A long term FM fan > Reviews

Animal Instincts CD
Animal Instincts CD
by Alan Titchmarsh
Edition: Audio CD

2.0 out of 5 stars Flawed formatting of the audio cd can make for a difficult listening experience, 6 Sept. 2017
This review is from: Animal Instincts CD (Audio CD)
The storyline is perhaps a little plodding and unexciting at times, but it's well narrated and if you want something to listen to to relax or help you nod off in the evenings you could do a lot worse than this.

My main problem is that the way the audio cds are formatted - each with only one track lasting about an hour - is incredibly frustrating because of the difficulty in rewinding (on most devices at least) to listen again if you miss a few words or if it skips while you're listening...especially if this happens in the 55th minute of the hour, as happened to me!

Most manufacturers/publishers manage to produce audio books where the files are a sensible length (say 3-5 mins) so why can't whoever was responsible for this release?

Rexim Toffee Melange, 600 g
Rexim Toffee Melange, 600 g

1.0 out of 5 stars Cheap & nasty, 3 Sept. 2017
These may not have cost much, but they were not nice at all. They were far too soft (more like fudge than toffee) despite having a long best before date, which made me wonder whether they'd been stored or transported under less than ideal conditions. They are however, very much like other toffees I've had in, or from, mainland Europe, so perhaps that's how they should be. Well, if so, all I can say is...they come a very poor second to even the cheapest British supermarket own brand value range toffees.

They were in different coloured wrappers (mine had red, green, yellow & brown) which I assume meant that there was supposed to be four distinct flavours, but apart from the chocolate ones (which were brown but didn't actually taste much like chocolate) they all tasted the same to me.

I definitely wouldn't buy them again.... I wouldn't even give them to my worst enemy.

There Are Tittles in This Title: The Weird World of Words
There Are Tittles in This Title: The Weird World of Words
by Mitchell Symons

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 3 Sept. 2017
This is a great book to keep dipping in and out of; almost 200 pages full of interesting, educational & amusing definitions, lists, and general word-based factoids. It's very well laid-out and easy to read too.

Some of the contents can be found elsewhere (e.g. comments made by drivers on insurance claims) but that can be forgiven, considering how much new material there is here - or new to me at least.

Fruit of the Loom Men's Lightweight Jogging Sweatpants Deep Navy XXL
Fruit of the Loom Men's Lightweight Jogging Sweatpants Deep Navy XXL
Offered by ClickIt LoveIt

4.0 out of 5 stars Good VFM, 2 Sept. 2017
Good quality for the money; the material is soft and not too thin. I probably wouldn't go out to the gym etc in them, but they're nice to wear while lounging around the house in the evening, and can also be worn as pyjama bottoms. Regarding the fit, they're Very high waisted, and mine were a good 3 inches too long (but I am only about 5 ft 8).

I also have a pair of the heavyweight ones, but I prefer these lightweight ones.

Vision Media 10 X Double Black CD Jewel Case
Vision Media 10 X Double Black CD Jewel Case
Offered by Vision Media Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful, but not of the very highest quality, 2 Sept. 2017
Don't seem to close as snugly, or be quite as well made, as the ones originally supplied with a new double cd but they do the job and it's always handy to keep a few in reserve, given how easily cd cases get cracked.

THE MERMAIDS SINGING AND THE WIRE IN THE BLOOD.
THE MERMAIDS SINGING AND THE WIRE IN THE BLOOD.
by Val McDermid

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended (just like all the other books in the series), 2 Sept. 2017
The first two in an excellent series of novels: the characters are interesting & well developed, the storylines are well thought out.

It's a very thick book, but, I couldn't put it down so it took a surprisingly short time to get to the end.... at which point I immediately began looking for the next volume! I enjoyed the Wire in the Blood TV series, but I think the novels are far superior.

From New York to L.A. (Radio Edit)
From New York to L.A. (Radio Edit)

4.0 out of 5 stars A blast from the past, 2 Sept. 2017
Yes I know it's cheesy, throwaway pop, but I remember my parents playing this song repeatedly when I was perhaps 7 years old: I loved it then, and I still love it now.

A Needle for the Devil and Other Stories
A Needle for the Devil and Other Stories
by Ruth Rendell

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good collection, 2 Sept. 2017
Top class short stories, well narrated: I'd recommend pretty much all of Ms Rendell's work to anyone.

Mystery Writers of America Presents Death Do Us Part: New Stories About Love, Lust, and Murder
by Harlan Coben

3.0 out of 5 stars A mixed bag, 2 Sept. 2017
There's a wide range of settings for these stories, so there will probably be something most people enjoy - but few people will enjoy them all. Personally, I thought most of them were quite dull & predictable; only two or three held my interest or had endings that surprised me, and there is only a similar number that I would consider worthy of a second listen. However, they are well narrated; I was impressed with the choice of readers.

To summarise: in my opinion, it's only worth buying if you can pick up a second hand copy cheaply.

The Words You Should Know
The Words You Should Know
by David Olsen

2.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book of its type, 2 Sept. 2017
Not a particularly useful book; far too many of the words included are very common and practically everyone should already know them. I wouldn't say my vocabulary is much above average but I could probably accurately define three-quarters of the words, and have a pretty good stab at many of the remainder!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11