Profile for Talbot Wharf > Reviews

Content by Talbot Wharf

Talbot Wharf "Lisa" (UK)

Swedish Phrase Book and Dictionary (Berlitz Phrasebooks)
Swedish Phrase Book and Dictionary (Berlitz Phrasebooks)
by Berlitz

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect introduction for travellers, 28 Mar. 2014
I bought this to use as a study aid for a group of adults visiting Sweden for the first time, on a business trip. It's ideal as an introduction to the language and for a first-time visitor getting around Sweden and coping in the usual situations: travelling, hotels and restaurants, social situations and asking for assistance.

One point which might have been revised in later editions: the used edition I bought (2005) had one outdated error, it uses "ni" as the formal "you". Nowadays this is obsolete in Swedish, and everyone uses "du". Hopefully it's been updated since.

Really handy book. I'll use it myself next time I'm visiting family there.

The Book Thief
The Book Thief

5.0 out of 5 stars Made me cry, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Book Thief (Kindle Edition)
I loved this book, I was completely entranced from start to finish. Highly recommended but be prepared for the emotional ending.

Kärcher WV60 Window Vac - Window Cleaning Vacuum Kit
Kärcher WV60 Window Vac - Window Cleaning Vacuum Kit

5.0 out of 5 stars Didn't think it would be this good, 17 Feb. 2014
We saw the ads for this on TV at Christmas and I jokingly told the family I wanted one for a present. However the joke's now on me as we bought one to try to clear the condensation from our shop windows and it is truly every bit as good as it says on the tin!

It's incredible how much moisture it picks up, and it makes quick work of keeping the windows clear. Hubby was so impressed he took it home and spent a morning cleaning all the windows inside and out. I thought my window cleaning and elbow grease did a reasonable job but wow was the water filthy!

Very pleased with how it worked right out of the box, ready charged. Definitely buy the version with the extra head. And we've bought a 500 ml bottle of the proper fluid too.

One cleaning chore less for me, one gadget more for hubby, and the cleanest windows ever. A total win-win!

Kate's Cake Decorating: Techniques, Tips for fun and fancy cakes baked with love
by Kate Sullivan

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 14 May 2008
I love Kates cakes and have her website bookmarked for inspiration, so when I saw this book I was very excited. I was anticipating detailed photos of some of the cakes in her portfolio, and techniques to improve my own wedding cakes.

However, these are very evidently early cakes, and the finish on them is generally amateur. She does not seem to use coloured fondant and marzipan to cover her cakes, but prefers to paint the colours on afterwards, which results in patchy and irregular finish as if she had used poster paints. Modelled items look cracked and uneven, and I was surprised that she had presented some of them for such detailed scrutiny.

I went back to her website after I got this book, and had a closer look at her more recent cakes, which do seem to show a much higher degree of polish and professional standard of finish, so maybe we can look forward to her next book showcasing some of these more recent cakes.

This may sound a harsh review, but Kate is so talented and innovative that her work deserves a better platform. I'm still a fan and will be interested to see what she does next.

Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig
Neris and India's Idiot-Proof Diet: From Pig to Twig
by India Knight

5.0 out of 5 stars It finally worked for me! (And plenty of others too), 22 Feb. 2008
I bought this after reading a magazine review and because the authors had obviously researched the way of eating carefully before starting out. Another important decider was that the authors had actually lived the diet and not just devised it as a commercial enterprise.
Reading through it's a revelation for me-and I speak as a veteran of Weight Watchers, Rosemary Conley and any number of magazine diets. The authors speak to me on my level, as an intelligent adult and give a warts-and-all account of their experiences. But the most inspiring aspect is the online forum where there is endless support from other people just like me-wanting to lose weight for lots of reasons, with different backgrounds and of different ages, but all grateful to these two women for speaking out honestly about how they did it and how they struggled. And at last I have addressed the "head stuff"-for me a crucial part of why I got fat in the first place.
Of course, it won't be for everyone, but I would urge you to make your own mind up-borrow the book from the library if you must, but then buy your own copy, read and re-read it, laugh and cry, write in it, and keep it close for ongoing support and inspiration.