Profile for A. Boylett > Reviews

Content by A. Boylett

A. Boylett "andyboylett" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Superconductor
Superconductor

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real People Pleaser!, 28 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Superconductor (MP3 Download)
Well, where to begin? I first stumbled across Andy when she was playing in Prince's band at Hop Farm and my first impression was "Uh!Oh! Here's another pretty girl that Prince is 'producing' (..wink! wink!) with a paper-thin voice and a talent to match", the next in a long line of Bria Valente's whose record would be equally bland and forgettable. Well, that only goes to show how old, cynical and obviously wrong I was because this album is a real gem, with every song a gift in itself, packed with more ideas, soul and funk than any record I have heard in a very long time.

The up tempo numbers are tight, clean and funky and the more reflective numbers have echoes of Joanie (probably what drew Prince to her in the first place) and paint beautiful pictures. Those 2 contrasts are pretty much the story of the album. The funky tracks are laced with killer, in-yer-face horns, popping bass (the like unheard since the days of The Revolution) and awesome sax solos, whereas the quiet side luxuriates in beautiful chiming acoustic guitars and subtle acid jazz arrangements.

Common to all of the songs are Andy's dreamy, vulnerable, smokey and warm vocals, which still have enough edge when pushed to pack a punch when she needs them too. A beautiful tone right across her vocal range.

If you don't think that Prince has had a decent protege since Jill Jones, then prepare to have your illusions shattered (although I don't actually know how much input he had on this as it's certainly not a typical Prince production) because Andy is the "real deal".

On balance, this is an essential record (maybe one of the best I've actually ever heard) and if Andy could somehow land herself a slot on Jools Holland's Later, she just might turn out to be the next big thing...

Jim Dunlop Straplock Dual Design Set - Nickel
Jim Dunlop Straplock Dual Design Set - Nickel

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe as houses!, 26 Sept. 2012
After having almost lost my prized Gibson Les Paul on a number of occasions during gigs, thanks to the paucity of the Fender/Scaller strap locking system that I had fitted to the guitar (and most of my other guitars), I decided that I'd try this system after having it fitted to one of my basses and never having had a problem.

I've fitted these to my Les Paul now and they are great! I had to drillout the screw holes of the old strap buttons ever so slightly first to get the supplied screws in far enough, but apart from that, these were a doddle to fit and I'm sure that I'll convert my other guitars now to the same system so that I can jump around on stage with confidence in future. :-)

Electric guitar input jack socket plate in chrome square including screws
Electric guitar input jack socket plate in chrome square including screws
Offered by Black Dog Music Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect fit for a Gibson Les Paul, 26 Sept. 2012
I bought this because the plastic jack plate on my 2002 Gibson Les Paul Standard had cracked and one of the corners broke off so I decided to replace it with a steel one. I ordered this after roughly checking the dimensions in the diagram provided and received the delivery in a couple of days. The plate was a perfect fit.

One very minor criticism was that the plate was supplied flat, not slightly curved to the body shape like the Gibson original, but careful screwing down of the plate seemed to cure it and possibly bend the plate into shape. Otherwise, a top product at a very good price, which I know will stay on my guitar now probably for eternity (don't know why Gibson didn't put a steel plate on the guitar in the first place - cheapskates!).

The Amazing Spider-Man (Blu-ray) [2012] [Region Free]
The Amazing Spider-Man (Blu-ray) [2012] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Andrew Garfield
Offered by Amore DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars Amazingly Awful!, 28 Aug. 2012
Oh dear. Another pointless reboot, obviously aimed at people with the attention span of a spider because this film is more full of holes than a spiderweb! Compare this to the Sam Raimi version and it really is embarrassing how poor this is.

It's so bad, I almost don't know where to begin. OK, let's start with when Peter's Uncle Ben gets killed by a robber that Peter could have stopped (but didn't because he gave him some milk!). Peter goes on a quest to hunt the killer down, but then just loses interest for no apparent reason and the killer gets away scott free! Duh! And what happened to Uncle Ben's dying "with great power comes great responsibility" speech, which is a keystone to the whole Spiderman ethic? Obviously, that was considered not to be as important as getting to the special effects bits.

Peter then sews himself the most high-tech spider suit in about 2 seconds flat and becomes Spiderman in a split second (cue lots of cliched sticking to stuff, learning to control power, beating up on school bully scenes).

This is after Peter has wandered unchallenged into a "high security" research facility under an unchecked, assumed name and then wandered away from the group he was with to break into a top secret lab like he's walking into a sweet shop. This is not to mention his "now you see it, now you don't" skateboard!

Then the good Doctor that he is working for changes into the Lizard who becomes intent on being evil and destroying New York for a reason that no one seems to be able or bothered to explain.

Finally, when Gwen confronts Peter about why he was not at her Dads funeral (Dennis Leary, who thankfully will be spared the ignomony of having to appear in any ill-advised sequel) has to go through the whole "our audience are so dumb that I will have to spell out what's happened to them in words of one syllable" speech.

These are just random examples of how bad this film is. Really, this is just a thrown together rehash that is not consistent or well done, with a few better special effects in terms of swinging about. How this got good reviews in some places is beyond me. I think that the studios obviously laid on a few diversionary freebies so that the reviewers were not paying much attention to the actual film.

It's a turkey.
Comment Comments (12) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 7, 2012 10:33 AM GMT

The Hunger Games (2 Disc) [DVD]
The Hunger Games (2 Disc) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jennifer Lawrence
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Hunger? Starved of action more like., 28 Aug. 2012
What a dull movie! I went to see this in the cinema because of all of the hype and expected something that might be at least a little bit exciting or interesting. Instead I found one of the dullest films I've seen for a long time which seemed to consist mainly of a girl with a bow and arrow wandering about in a forest and sitting in a tree.

Plot? None so to speak of. Action? Er.. a wasp attack was about as exciting as it got. Romance? Couldn't tell who was interested in who. Acting? Everyone walked about in the film looking as bored as I was in the cinema.

Can't tell you how pointless I found the whole thing. No doubt people who read the books might have "got it" but for someone who wanted an entertaining evening at the flicks, it just didn't cut it. Avoid unless you're a fan.

Trespassing
Trespassing

2.0 out of 5 stars Nailing his flag to the wrong mast., 10 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Trespassing (Audio CD)
Disappointed is an understatement in regard to this album.

Adam's first album was a great mix of good intelligent pop/club music and harder edged anthemic rock tracks that showcased perfectly his amazing vocal talents. Some of those songs were written for him by great songwriters like Justin Hawkins and Matt Bellamy and were perfect for him.

I suppose that Adam was told to decide by an A&R man somewhere to stop sitting on the fence and come down either in Camp Rock or Camp Disco. Well Adam obviously decided to come down firmly in Camp Disco (pun intended) with this record and much the poorer it is for it. I think this will lose him A LOT of fans as a result. This is an album full of bland, disappointing, soulless lowest common denominator pop rubbish that is definitely aimed squarely at a particular market, and not one that I see any value or have any interest in.

Much like Katy Perry with her second album, she sold out her rockier leanings for a big pop payday and Adam has obviously done the same. It's a shame he's decided to waste his talent like this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 23, 2012 1:09 PM BST

Something To Die For
Something To Die For

3.0 out of 5 stars A Mixed Bag, 7 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Something To Die For (Audio CD)
So The Sounds return with their 4th album. After LOVING the first 2 albums and being disappointed with the disjointed effort that was "Crossing The Rubicon", I bought this automatically when I saw it had been released, hoping for a return to their early form. They have simplified their writing style again for this one especially lyrically, with the songs working better generally than on "Rubicon" but, unfortunately, this album again leans too far towards dance and too far away from the 80's punk/pop sound that gave me my love of this band.

When I say "band" now, too often on this CD it felt like Maja and a guy with a synth and a drum machine. Too many of the songs were built on a "four to the floor" dance beat and what sounded like someone noodling around on their new keyboard to see what sounds it has.

There were still little nods to bands like Blondie and the Stones (especially on "Won't Let Them Tear Us Apart", probably my favorite track, which has a guitar riff very similar sounding to "Undercover of the Night") but generally there were too many keyboards and too few guitars on this and it lacked the urgency and attack of their earlier work. The "No No Song" is probably my favorite track here as it is closest to the Sounds feel that I like, with a driving stand alone bass guitar in the verses and good choppy guitars, but generally again this album falls short for me. I'll give it a few more listens to see if it grows on me but I'm not that excited on first listen.

The Sounds are 2 and 2 now for my money. I think I'll hold off buying album number 5 when it comes until I have a better idea of what I'm buying. Proceed with caution.

Fall To Grace
Fall To Grace
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Fall from Grace? Hope not., 1 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Fall To Grace (Audio CD)
OK, we all know about "that difficult second album" syndrome and following up her stunning debut album was never going to be easy. So how has the hugely loveable and talented Ms Faith done? Well, Fall To Grace does have it's moments but generally I was disappointed that there seem to be so few songs of the quality of any on the first album and I found myself only reluctantly hitting the play button to listen to it for a second time.

That being said, I have persevered with the hope that it will grow on me but I found myself missing the bouncy fun element of songs like "Upside Down" (which to me typify Paloma's quirky and fun personality) or the class of songs like "Do you want the truth..." or "New York". Instead, I found these new songs lacking enthusiasm or great hooks. Lyrically, they were also a bit clunky in places and there seemed to be a move away from the maturity and class of the first album towards more pop/dance beats that left you feeling like you'd heard this all before (in some cases 20 years ago, like with the funky drummer beats on "Freedom"). It's ironic really as I think they may have been trying to update her sound to fit somewhere in today's "R&B lite" littered pop charts.

That being said, Paloma's voice is in fine form on this album and her vocals definitely seem to have moved up to a new level in terms of depth and range.

Lastly, I don't want to sound like this is a terrible album, because it really is not that bad. The second half of the album is better for me than the first half but it's just not something I can see myself keeping in my cd changer for the long haul. Maybe album 3 will be a "Phoenix to the Ashes" (I'll copywrite the title just in case...), who knows. :-)

Generation Freakshow
Generation Freakshow

5.0 out of 5 stars Polishing the Renegades, 1 Jun. 2012
This review is from: Generation Freakshow (Audio CD)
As there are already so many comprehensive reviews of this album, I'll keep this brief. This is a great Feeder album and a real return to "Comfort in Sound" style form. Feeder sort of lost their way just a little for a while for me, especially with Silent Cry, but "Renegades" (which I also loved) was the first sign of a real return to heavier guitars and a less introspective sound and "Generation Freakshow" has taken the same attitude and just polished up the production a little to add a sheen to another batch of great anthemic songs. Grant can has always benn able to pen a catchy tune and this album is choc full of them from start to finish.

I did find that listening to this reminded me in places of the Wannadies (remember the "You and Me Song" anyone?) at their best, especially in terms of guitar sounds and backing vocal styles, but generally this is pure Feeder coming back to top form and revving up for the festival season.

A great addition to an already glowing back catalogue. Buy it!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Dyna Comp clone at a rock bottom price, 17 Feb. 2012
Just bought this pedal after buying the Joyo British Sound overdrive and being amazed with that too. Quality of the product seems initially excellent and you are getting what is apparently a Dyna-Comp clone for the price of a couple of DVDs. The casing is metal, the knobs are solid and easy to use, and the sound is excellent with true bypass! I even comes complete with a 9v battery! What's not to like?

Well, my only very minor dislike is the battery cover, which is a bit flimsy and fiddly to replace. The battery housing is a little tight too but not an issue really.

I'd have no problem recommending this to anyone (all guitarists should own a compressor anyway and £30 is not a lot to spend to find out the sonic benefits of owning one). This is money well spent and I'm sure I'll be buying more of their excellent pedals at this price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10