Profile for jack colbridge > Reviews

jack colbridge

The Enchanted April
The Enchanted April

5.0 out of 5 stars The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim, 5 Jan. 2014
I came across this author ( I had not heard of her previously ) by accident .The title of the book and the name of the author struck me as being interesting and I therefor downloaded it. To my surprise , after only a few pages of reading , I realised that many years before I had seen a TV drama ( with Alfred Molina ) based on the book . The book itself is an easy read, well constructed and well written. Initially set in London it quickly moves to Italy where the story slowly and leisurely unfolds .For anyone who has not yet read it , it is a gem awaiting discovery.

The Secret in Their Eyes
The Secret in Their Eyes

5.0 out of 5 stars The Secret in Their Eyes, 5 May 2013
This is one of the most remarkable books ( for all the right reasons ) I have read .It is truly a great read which will hold the reader from start to finish . Briefly , the story is of a retired deputy clerk to the examining magistrate returning to a murder case which was resolved but subsequently had an unexpected twist to it which in itself takes the story to an other level to the point where it reaches an unanticipated conclusion.

The book has been made into a film and whilst the film does not in every respect follow the story line of the book , I have to say that it is possibly the best film I have ever seen . I have it recorded and find myself watching the film time and time again.