Profile for Mrs. Amanda R. Axel-berg > Reviews

Content by Mrs. Amanda R....

Mrs. Amanda R. Axel-berg "Alex Dixon"

AlcoSense Excel Fuel Cell Breathalyzer Alcohol Tester Breathalyser - Auto Express Best Buy 2016 Winner
Offered by AlcoSense Direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Really Quick and Easy to Use - No Brainer, 27 Dec. 2016
As I had previously purchased the AlcoSense Elite, I was offered a free upgrade unit of the AlcoSense Excel in exchange for an honest review of the Elite.

This are my experiences of this unit, the information provided is accurate to the best of my knowledge at the time this review was written.
Consult the user guide, manufacturer and your local laws for advise on alcohol limits and the driving law in your area.
Do not drink and drive.

PROS:
- Easy to use (menu driven with three buttons)
- Calibration before each use is very quick (takes around 10 seconds before it's ready to use, much quicker than others I've used)
- High quality and easy to read screen (really impressed with this)
- Very Good build quality (family member described it as looking like an Apple product)
- Quick Response with Reading after test
- You don't have to blow into unit for too long before it reads the result (Elite took quite a lot of time breathing into unit before it would analyse)
- "Accurate" - Several concurrent tests produced the same or very similar results (also tested with a group of people)
- Easy to know when not to drive - if within 20%-80% of drink drive limit goes amber, if within 20% of limit clear do not drive warning displayed
- Unit powers on quickly
- Unit can be updated via included USB Cable
- Easy to change settings, if needed
CONS:
- The tester blow tubes can easily be lost (spares ARE included, however)
- One result produced a wildly inaccurate result (the user had just had a drink before testing - AlcoSense clearly warn against doing this)

After receiving an eMail from AlcoSense offering me a free upgrade, I sent off my existing unit and ordered I a replacement unit at no cost, which arrived promptly.

N.B. I notice AlcoSense offer a discount on each of their models, if upgrading from a cheaper model (just send back your existing unit in exchange).

The box includes the breathalyser, USB Cable, Batteries, Tubes for testing and the user manual.

After opening the box and installing the batteries, I powered on the unit and was immediately impressed by how much better the screen is (high quality colour TFT Screen).

The initial setup is very easy (and can be done without the manual!). You set the time/date and alcohol limit and unit type (will give you a country list for reference).

To use it, you slide the top of unit up and insert a blow tube into the hole at the bottom.

I tested the unit on a couple of occasions with both myself and my family over Christmas and everyone was impressed by the build quality and easy of use of the product.

I also tested myself 3-4 times over 15 minutes to make sure the result was accurate and found the result initially returned the same result then slowly dropped.

I would definitely recommend spending the extra money and going for this over the Elite, and would avoid cheap breathalysers!

I've had bad experiences with cheap breathalysers in the past, but have been very satisfied with both the Elite and the Excel.

Both units are small enough to fit into my glove box and storage draw in my car. I've kept both in the car and always use them the morning after to check I'm safe to drive.

N.B. It's important that you don't test yourself for at least 45 minutes after your last drink as your alcohol level may continue to rise as your body will continue to absorb alcohol for some time after your last drink.
It's also worth noting that if any alcohol gets onto the sensor it will give an invalid reason as the alcohol concentration is too high (and can damage the sensor).
One family member blew a result of around 4% BAC, which was way higher than anyone else (who'd drunk more). He'd taken a drink just before blowing into it.
However, after a minute or so, I tested myself again and found the result was the same as my previous result so it appeared not to have damaged or affected the unit adversely.
It's better not to drive at all the same day and use a breathalyser for the morning after.

You can get any of the Alcosense Breathalysers calibrated for about £20, so you know they're still accurate after a year.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Philips Master LED Bulb 20W (100W Replacement) B22 Bayonet Cap, Warm White, Dimmable
Offered by enigma electrical

5.0 out of 5 stars Very warm light, no warm up and (almost) instant on, 5 May 2014
Bought these after being disappointed with the colour of a lot of the other Energy Saving Lightbulbs on the Market.

The colour temperature is much warmer than most of the other lights and there is only a fraction of a second before it comes on at full brightness (other energy saving bulbs from Philips seem to take much longer to come on).

The brightness is very good - I've found it hard to find a 100W equivalent energy saving bulb.

The light coverage is even, which is something I was worried about with the metal over the head of the bulb.

The only downside is the price, at around £35, although it should more than pay for itself with its stated lifetime.

Upsides:
- Very bright
- Instant on
- Warm colour temperature
- Quick delivery (delivered on a Monday Bank Holiday, having been ordered two days before)

Downsides:
- Slightly ugly design due to the heat sink

APC Back-UPS RS 800VA - UPS
APC Back-UPS RS 800VA - UPS

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent UPS, 5 Dec. 2009
I have one of these connected to a PowerMac G5.

It's excellent, with a great feature set and lots of ports.

Bear in mind that you MUST calculate the power load that your equipment produces (which I didn't...).

I only get about 8 minutes to shut down the machine or it automatically shuts the machine down.

THIS IS NOT A FAULT OF THE UNIT! Only mine for not checking first!

You also get a USB connection and it is is compatible with Mac OS 10.2 - 10.6.

It works with Windows as well but why waste your money on protecting that?

You even get special power options and a menu icon denoting the status (mains/battery) and the remaining time till dead/fully charged.

This is excellent as what's the point in spending loads of money on a UPS if it just cuts power to your computer anyway following a power cut!

You also get a nice loud insistent beep, warning you of impending doom.

I've noticed my unit switching to battery backup frequently, this is interesting, as I hadn't realized the amount of spikes we get, despite no visible signs.

Round the back you get several ports for attaching devices using a standard kettle lead (you can get an adapter if you have equipment such as printers or surround sound). You also get RJ-45 ethernet (network) ports and phone sockets.

I've never had any problems with my unit, it works exactly as advertised.

I would definitely recommend this.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 31, 2011 2:10 PM BST

NETGEAR GS608UK 8 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch
NETGEAR GS608UK 8 Port Gigabit Desktop Switch

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent - No Problems, 11 Jan. 2009
I have one of these myself and they are excellent. Netgear's other consumer products aren't as robust, and are very basic for a great deal of money.

I haven't had to reboot my 5 or 8 port netgear gigabit switches once.

The transfer speeds are very good, but it depends on your cabling. Make sure you go with Cat 6, I have Cat5e Structured cabling in the house and whilst fast doesn't quite hit the true gigabit speeds of Cat 6. Also make sure that you have a gigabit NIC (network card) otherwise you're throwing your money away,

AVOID Linksys high-end units at all costs! They have excellent feature sets but the more expensive units don't have the Firmware to back it up and as a result fail. If you want Linksys go with a WAG model.

Netgear's expensive units work OKish but are seriously limited in their feature-set.