Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now
Profile for jch > Reviews

Content by jch

jch (Berkshire, England)

Nikon D750 Digital SLR Camera with 24-85 mm Lens Kit (24.3 MP, 3.2 inch Tilt-Screen LCD with Wi-Fi)

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't fault this camera, 20 May 2015
There's a lot I could say about this camera. I'll just echo what dpreview said: this camera gets just about everything right.

The Beak Of The Finch: Story of Evolution in Our Time
The Beak Of The Finch: Story of Evolution in Our Time
by Jonathan Weiner

5.0 out of 5 stars Read this book. That's not a request., 1 Feb. 2015
It sounds faintly ridiculous, but I couldn't put this book down. It's a compelling read, wonderfully informative and, well, brilliant.

Others have described it in some detail but if you have even a passing interest in the mechanisms of evolution then you'll want to read this book ...

Actually, everyone who has children or parents has a passing interest in evolution, so just read it!

Rega Fono Mini A2D Phono Pre-Amplifier (Moving Magnet)
Rega Fono Mini A2D Phono Pre-Amplifier (Moving Magnet)
Offered by Sevenoaks Sound and Vision, Yeovil.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscovering vinyl. Again., 4 Jan. 2015
I got a actual vinyl album for Christmas and all excited I put it on the Linn only to find that the ageing and unreliable Exposure X I'd been using for its phono stage had packed up completely. So I bought this on the basis of its name (Rega), it's price (cheap) and the reviews, here and elsewhere (ecstatic).

I have not been disappointed. In its day, the Exposure X was a really nice amplifier so I was worried that this phono pre-amp wouldn't be up to the same quality and I was quite prepared to accept some harshness and lack of clarity. After all, how can something costing £85 possibly compete with an amp that cost £500 25 years ago?

It turned out that there was no competition. The Rega beats the old Exposure phono stage hands down. It has a clarity and depth which are breathtaking. Studio Masters (96kHz/25 bit) from the likes of Qobuz still have the edge for sheer quality, but nothing else does.

The Crow Road
The Crow Road

5.0 out of 5 stars cracking, 1 Sept. 2014
This review is from: The Crow Road (Kindle Edition)
Yet another good, no, brilliant book from the sorely missed Iain Banks. It would have five stars but that would mean giving some of his others six. Oh what the hell....
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 26, 2014 12:03 PM BST

Bad Science
Bad Science

5.0 out of 5 stars you should read this., 3 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Bad Science (Kindle Edition)
Some of what is in this book is a little out of date now, but the ideas behind the stories are still relevant. They will always be relevant. You should read this book.

Zotac ZBOXSD-ID12-B ZBOX Mini Barebones PC Dual Core DDR3
Zotac ZBOXSD-ID12-B ZBOX Mini Barebones PC Dual Core DDR3

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice, 3 Sept. 2011
I must say I'm impressed with this little device.

I put in 4GB memory and a hard drive and installed Fedora 15 on it. The installation went without any trouble at all and the only thing I had to contend with was the HDMI connection being marked as the primary monitor (it wasn't connected)

I've got this machine to replace an ageing small form factor machine -- this one is 1/8 the size of the old one -- and I wasn't really expecting much of it, it's not exactly needed for heavy data processing. However, I was pleasantly surprised: it's quite nippy, boots quickly and everything works.

For the money I think you would have trouble finding a machine even half as good.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb, just buy it., 17 April 2011
I've had this on my wish list for a long time and finally I got around to buying one. It has had universally good reviews and the negative comments seem to overly picky.

I actually wanted this as a bedside radio and while it is larger than the old FM radio it replaced, it is no larger than ant of the other Internet radios I've looked at. It does fit on the beside table though, and it looks brilliant. The Z-shape is immediately eye catching and the thing just exudes quality.

Radio reception in our house is useless: the old radio had a huge aerial and even then FM was hopeless. It came as no surprise that it is still hopeless. What was surprising is that DAB not only worked, but it was free from dropouts. Either I'm lucky that DAB is better than FM here or it's a particularly good receiver. This, as I say, it s plus: I really wanted this as an Internet radio.

I wasn't sure what I was letting myself in for, but I needn't have worried.

Setting up wireless access was a matter of minutes and finding Radio 4 (and a pleasant surprise: podcasts) a few seconds more.

More pleasant surprises: the alarm can be set for a time of days, weekdays, weekends, daily or not at all (and so can the second alarm). And also you can choose what you want to wake to and how loud you want it to be. Did I mention that the Airstream 10 just exudes quality?

I've tried the network streaming just the once: I don't normally have a suitable server on the network at home. It works, brilliantly, as you would expect by now.

You would expect something labelled "Monitor Audio" to have good sound quality. That big a sound from that small a box is surprising though, or it was until I spotted the bass port. The sound quality really is very good, both laid down and stood up. It shouldn't come as any surprise, but it does ...

Digital Photography Masterclass: Advanced Photographic and Image-manipulation Techniques for Creating Perfect Pictures
by Tom Ang

5.0 out of 5 stars At last, a book that's not aimed at a novice, 21 Jun. 2010
Too many of the photography books I've picked up and browsed through start with pictures of the parts of a compact camera and have a chapter on how to choose a camera and, if you're lucky, there's a single, short chapter that tells you something useful.

On the other hand, Tom Ang's book launches straight into a discussion of shutter speed and depth of field. You can see that in the preview. What's really great about the book is that it's not about the technical stuff (which you either know or get in the camera's manual) it's about how to USE a modern DSLR to create pictures.

I particularly like the way the book is organised into tutorials with an assignment at the end of each tutorial. It gets you thinking about what you've read and that stuff really sticks. I think I'm taking better pictures now and learning again.