Profile for N > Reviews

Solaris - Subtitled
Solaris - Subtitled
Dvd

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 17 Jun. 2017
This review is from: Solaris - Subtitled (Blu-ray)
Beware if renting this dsic from Lovefilm. No subtitles, despite them being available on the menu and turned on.

De'Longhi KG79 Professional Burr Grinder
De'Longhi KG79 Professional Burr Grinder

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly designed and not durable, 10 May 2017
Mine lasted 17 months before it stopped working.
Used it a couple of dozen times.
Poor value for money, clunky, difficult to clean, temperamental and, as with other DeLonghi products I've had, the power cord gets twisted into a tangle.
This isn't at all a 'professional' product.

VINSUN® E14 LED bulb 3W - 25W light bulbs - warm white - 250lm, E14 golf ball bulb, E14 SES - Pack of 4
Offered by SEBSON

2.0 out of 5 stars Not environmentally friendly, 1 April 2017
Saving the environment? No. Like all modern lightbulbs, we pay 10 times what we used to per lightbulb.
They give out less light and don't last any longer than 'traditional' lightbulbs. (7 months for this one).
Any saving (pence) in running costs is outweighed by having to buy hugely more expensive bulbs.
Any saving to the environment is outweighed by the waste disposal costs (to the environment and to society) of supposedly 'eco-friendly' bulbs.

Audio Extension Cable Syncwire Aux Extension Cable 3.5mm Nylon Braided Stereo Male to Female Aux Cable -Lifetime Warranty Series- For Beats Headphones, Apple iPod iPhone iPad, Smartphones, MP3 Player and More-3.3ft/1M Black
Offered by Syncwire

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought 4 in one go - all 4 faulty! BUT outstanding customer Service fixed it!, 18 Feb. 2017
I bought four of these cables in one order.
All of them were faulty due to incorrect wiring.

I plugged each cable into my iPad, and then plugged a set of headphones into the extender cable.
I then played a Youtube "channel tester" video. The video speaks out loud the left and right channels.

When the test said "LEFT" the sound, using any of these extender cables, came from the RIGHT hand speaker.
When the test said "RIGHT" the sound, using any of these extender cables, came from the LEFT speaker.
When I ran the test through the headphones without using one these extender cables, the sound was transmitted correctly.

I bought these four cables to extend the cables from my PC sound card to a set of speakers, but because none of the cables was correctly wired, this didn't work.

I would have been disappointed to have had one out of the four mis-wired, but for all of them to be faulty points to extremely poor manufacturing and/or quality control procedures.

Lovely packaging, and looked initially like good build quality. The shielding seemed very effective too (no noise when testing), but not suitable unless you don't mind switching your speakers/headphones round and absolutely useless for extending the cable from a 5.1 soundcard.

I sent them all back for a refund.

EDIT: Syncwire sent me free replacements for these cables. Unfortunately, none of the replacements were wired correctly either.
If the Left and Right channel position is important to you, I would recommend you avoid these cables.
Syncwire did send me a free iPad charging cable for all the trouble though.
Good customer service, but poor product.

EDIT: May 2017
Syncwire messaged me again the other day and sent me another 4 free replacement M to F 3.5mm audio extender cables.
The ones I received are a revised version, and are packaged in a flatter greenish box, rather then the red box of the previous version.
I'm very happy to report that the cables now work perfectly.
This is outstanding customer service, in my opinion, and fully deserves five stars!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 13, 2017 2:57 PM BST

SanDisk Ultra 64 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 100 MB/s - Black
SanDisk Ultra 64 GB USB Flash Drive USB 3.0 up to 100 MB/s - Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 4 Dec. 2016
Poor quality build and poors speeds.
I formatted the drive to NTS before file transfer, and used a USB 3 port.
Dire.
Needed it quickly. Got it quickly. Then spent more time than I expected waiting for files to transfer.
Wouldn't touch it at the advertised RRP.

Oven Mate Oven & Cooker Cleaning Gel - 500ml
Oven Mate Oven & Cooker Cleaning Gel - 500ml
Offered by KGA-SUPPLIES

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, 24 Nov. 2016
After reading all the sparkling reviews on Amazon, I had high hopes for this.
Used it on a 10 month old oven, so not the most extreme of jobs.
Followed the instructions and left it for 3 hours. Wiped the gel off, and apart from some brown gunk on the kitchen towel, not much difference to the oven.
After removing the first coat of gel, I re--applied it, and this time left it over night (16 hours). The gel was much harder to remove the following day, but there was very little difference to the cleanliness of the oven. I didn't even clean the glass very well.
Less messy than the more well-known brands, but not very effective in my opinion.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 27, 2017 5:18 AM GMT

Silentnight Ultra Bounce Hollow Fibre Pillow - White, Pack of 4
Silentnight Ultra Bounce Hollow Fibre Pillow - White, Pack of 4

1.0 out of 5 stars Not washable, 18 Oct. 2016
Not too bad for the first 3 months. One has to plump them vigorously every day to keep any kind of shape.
Washed them once according to the instructions - 2 fell apart and 2 became irrevocably lumpy.

Big Bamboo
Big Bamboo

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime - but Lord Creator, not Kitchener, 27 Sept. 2016
This review is from: Big Bamboo (MP3 Download)
Wonderful classic track. Double-entendre lyrics, smutty if you get the reference.
I believe this is Lord Creator though, not Lord Kitchener.

Man Up [Blu-ray] [2015]
Man Up [Blu-ray] [2015]
Dvd ~ Simon Pegg

1.0 out of 5 stars Fancy menu - Couldn't watch the film, 14 May 2016
This review is from: Man Up [Blu-ray] [2015] (Blu-ray)
I would have loved to have watched this film, but unfortunately, the technology got in the way - the BluRay loaded ok. It played the trailers ok, and allowed me to skip through the trailers. Got to the main menu, and no key presses on my remote would do anything, apart from Stop and other player commands.
My bluray player has the latest firmware, but then it is 3 whole years old. Ancient! Not worth spending £100 to upate an otherwise working device. In the old days of VHS, there was no overly fancy programming to get in the way of the primary purpose of the medium, which is to watch a movie. Nowadays, there's so much guff that goes into bluray and dvd discs (extras menus, teaboy's on-set commentary, a different menu every time) that it takes a new machine every 6 months to play the things.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 12, 2016 5:43 PM GMT

The Sims 4 - Standard Edition
The Sims 4 - Standard Edition
Offered by Arancia Eoutlet

1.0 out of 5 stars DRM continues to kill PC gaming, 18 Feb. 2016
Firstly, I'll mention that I'm a seasoned, grown-up gamer who has worked in IT for 20 years. I use various digital rights management platforms (DRM) at home, including Origin, Steam, UPlay and Windows Live. I don't particularly like any of them, but I've gotten used to them over the years and rarely have issues with installing games. Significantly, I'm on a very fast 200mbps fibre connection at home.

I am currently at my niece's house. Rural England. No superfast internet here. She was given Sims 4 as a Christmas gift - on disc.
So far, it has taken over 2 hours of waiting just for Origin to 'update' , before I can even create an Origin account for her, and then spend multiple hours installing the game and all of its updates.

Sure, I understand that game updates can be quite hefty, but hours of waiting to install just the DRM client? A client that should be small and dynamically updated, not hogging bandwidth for hours.

As a veteran hardcore gamer it really saddens me that the so-called protection of these games makes it so difficult for the average use to install, and that the protection system (not the game) takes as long to download as the game itself. This is likely to put the younger generation off PC gaming for good.

Not yet had a chance to review the actual gameplay because the delivery method is seriously, seriously flawed.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5