Profile for Spanish Mike > Reviews

A Hierarchy of Reason
A Hierarchy of Reason
by S. G. Norris

5.0 out of 5 stars Clever and scary, 7 Aug. 2012
This review is from: A Hierarchy of Reason (Paperback)
The tale continues from A very English Revolution but is also a stand alone novel, which is no mean feat considering the complication of this kind of political thriller. It really is very good. The protagonists are passionate, interesting and well constructed characters. The plot is like a lattice work of lies and truths you'll never figure out until the end. And the central theme is as scary as the first one - all too plausible. A complex and intriguing novel.

Divisions Of The Knife: The Broken Chamber Trilogy, Book 1
Divisions Of The Knife: The Broken Chamber Trilogy, Book 1
by Chris Gallie

5.0 out of 5 stars Loads of fun, 7 Aug. 2012
A fantasy tale with the best reluctant hero you are ever going to meet. He's far more interested in getting stoned or drunk than saving the world. This is an interesting take on some old themes because it is constantly perverting the normal course of events in these books. You aren't looking for the magical item, the magic is looking for you. You aren't the great hero because you'd rather not be - thank you but no. Your love life doesn't even work out the way it should and the man who is supposed to the be helping hold this together... Well, he's not quite what he seems either. A good fun read, which should turn into a great series.

The Confessions of a Deliveryman (The Deliveryman Series Book 1)
The Confessions of a Deliveryman (The Deliveryman Series Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 30 April 2012
I'm sorry, but this is nonsense. I was expecting a proper "confessions of" type book, but this is not that at all. It took me a while to see that this is a whimsical collection of imaginary `would be' anecdotes. I don't see the point of that? This was recommended to me by Amazon as similar to another really funny book which I loved. "The Money that never was", that was by a completely different author. I feel somewhat misled as I thought this would be just as funny. It wasn't. I don't understand why Amazon linked these?
This guy has a reasonable style and is no doubt building up to a good funny book at some time, but this isn't it.

Comedy. Memoirs of a bar steward (Part One: 14th-25th August: From the city to inside the Queens Legs.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time, 30 April 2012
I get the pun now. I should have realised. I keep trying to find a decent comedy book and thought this might be it. This is banality at its worst. I suppose one gets what one pays for though, this was free! Save your virtual money and pay to read a real funny writer. Try Stephen Fry, David Luddington. Robert Rankin, Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchet etc. I'm going to give up on 'Free' books, they may be free in monetary terms but they swallow expensive time when for a little money you can buy something half decent.

Nostradamus Ate My Hamster
Nostradamus Ate My Hamster
by Robert Rankin

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, very funny, 3 Nov. 2011
I have read most of this author's books but I think this is my favourite. The set scenes and the running gags just have me in stitches. I love the skewed reality and the play on known characters from our own world. He has a way of drawing you in to his world and then it becomes more and more absurd but you have to follow to see where it leads. Robert Rankin is one of my favourite comedy writers, along with Terry Pratchet, David Luddington, Douglas Adams and Stephen Fry.

If you want a good harmless laugh then you won't find better!

The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead
by Max Brooks

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun!, 3 Nov. 2011
Really funny. I love a good laugh and especially when it goes hand in hand with being useful. So now I'm ready. I have my shotgun and pitchfork and the barricades are prepared!

Spying in High Heels (High Heels Mysteries Book 1)
Spying in High Heels (High Heels Mysteries Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars Not funny at all, 3 Nov. 2011
I read mostly comedy and had high hopes for this. I knew it was likely to be chiclit but I did enjoy Bridgit Jones and thought this might have a similar feel. The central character is totally unlikeable and whingy with no real depth. I struggled through this to the end but wished I hadn't. If you want a good comedy thriller, try The Money That Never Was, The Carmarthen Underground or Dressed to Kill. All of which I found very funny.
Overall I thought this was very disappointing as I'd read the reviews and it looked good.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 30, 2012 12:22 PM BST