Profile for Have you seen the Jack-in-the-Green? > Reviews

Content by Have you seen ...

Have you seen the Jack-in-the-Green?

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15
STP ST50400EN Complete Petrol  Fuel System Cleanner, 400 ml
STP ST50400EN Complete Petrol Fuel System Cleanner, 400 ml
Offered by AP Motor Store

4.0 out of 5 stars Works for all petrol cars, old and new., 10 Jun. 2017
I have used this on several occasions. I originally started using it because I'd read the American safety-sheet for it, which appeared to show that it contained polyetheramine, possibly the most effective fuel system cleaning agent around at the time (I think it was developed by Chevron Texaco, who gave it the brand name "Techron"). Several years ago, the EGR valve failed on the car I had at the time, and I tried a bottle of this to see if I could get it working temporarily while I got round to ordering a new one to fit. It actually fixed the problem and I didn't need a new EGR valve for a year or so. My current car is a Ford Capri with no complex emissions control equipment, and I was looking for something to clean out the carburettor jets and chambers without stripping it down, and generally de-carbonise the engine internally, as it was running a little rough and pinking despite retarding the timing and checking the idle mixture. I went in to Halfords, and all they had were additives designed to rejuvenate catalytic converters or protect modern direct-injectors. All I need is a really strong cleaner, - and I suddenly remembered this, so headed home and got on Amazon. I'd say it's definitely helped. It hasn't completely cured the issue, but I've definitely got less pinking, and the engine feels a little smoother and less hesitant.

Faber-Castell Ink Converter for Fountain Pens
Faber-Castell Ink Converter for Fountain Pens

5.0 out of 5 stars Fits Montblanc, 12 Jan. 2017
Seems well manufactured. Fits perfectly in my Montblanc pen (I think the model's called "Starwalker", I can't really remember). Ink flow's great.

Xerox Recycled Supreme+ A4 (210×297 mm) White inkjet paper - printing paper (A4 (210×297 mm), Laser printing, White)
Offered by Wrap it and Pack it (UK VAT Registered Business)

5.0 out of 5 stars err... white paper., 12 Jan. 2017
Not much to say really. It's white paper. It prints well on an inkjet. It also accepts the ink from a fountain pen well, making the writing flow really smoothly. The fact that it's recycled gives you a lovely warm fuzzy feeling when you print on it, knowing that no trees had to die to produce your humorous cat image downloaded from the internet, or whatever it was you printed.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 9, 2017 4:51 PM GMT

Max Nourish Capsules SuperFoods: Natural Herbal MultiVitamin (100 VegiCaps) - 100% Organic
Offered by Authentic Vitamins

5.0 out of 5 stars Seems good, 10 Dec. 2016
A little pricey, but I like the idea that this is a multivitamin supplement with food-form ingredients that will be less harsh on your body, and easier for it to process. I have often suspected that conventional vitamin tablets do little other than make you produce expensive urine. It's a bit inconvenient taking lots of these tablets several times a day, but even a couple of tablets in the evening feels like it's helping my energy levels and immune system.

Aluminum Metal Case for Samsung Galaxy S3, Love Mei Brand Waterproof Shock Proof with Gorilla Glass Cover Silver
Offered by Iron-Case

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost the perfect case, 19 May 2016
First things first... Getting in to this case will be a bit of a challenge, but not impossible. The screws that hold it together are exceptionally small allen or torx screws, and you'll struggle to find any kind of tool exactly the right size to undo them... which shouldn't be a problem, because the manufacturer helpfully provides you with a little the screwdriver for that purpose. The only slight drawback, as reported by other users, is that this special tool for opening the case... is supplied to the customer (you guessed it) inside the sealed, screwed-shut case!

As a piece of machined metal and silicone rubber, this case is wonderfully finished. Everyone who sees my phone asks me what kind of phone or case it is - it looks very solid but also very stylish. Quality and fit are spot-on, and you can still access the side buttons of the phone, as well as the front buttons and touchscreen, even though this is a completely sealed case.

The case claims to protect your phone from drops and shocks, dust and water (but not full immersion - just things like rain showers). I haven't been willing to test this, but with the way it all seals up, I can very much believe it. The phone's encased in a frame of silicone rubber, with an aluminium skeleton, so looks well protected. There is a metal flap to open to access the headphone port, and a rubber bung that seals the USB charging port. For durability reasons, I'd have rather had a metal flap for both, as the Samsung SIII is notoriously bad on power, and the USB charging port gets a lot of use! From looking at the case closely, it seems that the holes in the case to allow sound in or out have some sort of fine mesh or membrane covering them. I can't tell if it's a fine mesh that would allow water through, or a membrane that might allow the phone to survive an occasional accidental swim in a mountain stream. Very soon, I might take my phone out of the case, screw it back shut, and submerge it to see if there's any water ingress.

There are a few downsides to this case, and these are why I've deducted two stars - they are design issues that make usage of the phone a lot less easy.

Firstly, this case acts as a Faraday Cage, essentially preventing a lot of your mobile, Bluetooth or WiFi signal reaching your phone. The result is that you often have a weak signal or no connectivity. Secondly, the responsiveness of the phone's touchscreen is severely decreased right at the top of the screen, making it almost impossible to swipe down on the Android notification bar. Finally, the hole in the case to enable you to plug a charger in the phone is too small, so I had to hunt around for ages for a USB cable that would actually fit through the case to the phone (with a lot of swearing and brute-force) - otherwise I'd have had to unscrew the case and take the phone out every time I wanted to charge it.

Also, be warned that the phone will become very heavy with this case, and quite big too. My S3 now weighs more than the same generation of iPhone, and is on the limit of what will fit in a trouser-pocket. If I want to sit down, I have to take the phone out.

If the case were completely submersible and tested to IP68 or similar, I would have no hesitation in awarding 5 stars. It really wouldn't take a lot to modify the design to comply and be completely waterproof. I would then be more than willing to put up with its drawbacks that make daily use less easy, as they would be well compensated by the case's functionality - but at the moment, ease of use is diminished but protection isn't complete.

lomui® 3.8V 3800mAh Replacement Li-ion Battery for Samsung Galaxy S3 S III, GT-I9300 (I9300)
Offered by KUANG WENGANG

4.0 out of 5 stars Broke after 7 months extremely-light usage. Higher capacity at first, but not sure whether you get the full 3800mAh, 17 May 2016
***UPDATE 2***
My original Samsung battery finally wore out to the point where it just wouldn't hold charge while I was out, so in desperation I put the Lomui battery back in, and it seems to be working OK again. It's not holding its charge as long as it did when new, but it seems OK. I think my phone problems are due to a problem or a bug with bluetooth, as they don't happen any more unless I have bluetooth switched on. I am returning my review to 4 stars. It'd have 5, apart from what I included in my previous update below.

***UPDATE***
Worked great at the start, but after 7 months very light usage, is now unusable. Save your money and buy genuine.

This battery is only 7 months old, and I am a very light smartphone user. When I say very light, I mean that most of the time I have data/wifi/bluetooth/gps switched off and just make the odd call/text - spending probably about 2.50-5.00/month of my pay-as-you-go credit. In fact, I've hardly even used this battery because I keep going back to my non-smart phone (an old-style Samsung B2100 with a proper keypad).

Anyway, I thought my S3 was behaving oddly (flickering screen, phone freezing, phone randomly restarting). I noticed that this was always happening as the battery drained to around 50-60%. I also noticed that I was only getting around 3 or 4 hours from the phone (on standby) until this point. The one time I got my phone restarted, the power level dropped before my eyes from 50% right down to 0, and the phone shut down again. I put the original worn-out Samsung battery back in, and apart from getting roasting hot during charging or calling, it all works perfectly again.

I can only conclude that the lomui battery is made from cheap components with terrible durability and therefore is unfit for purpose.

***ORIGINAL REVIEW BELOW***

This battery definitely lasts longer than my worn-out old Samsung battery, but the time between charging definitely isn't quite as much as I'd have expected from a 3800mAh battery. It behaves much more like a stock battery when new. That said, this lomui battery is much cheaper, so if it lasts a few years, you can't complain really.

When charging or using this battery, it doesn't get hot. It also charges very quickly - if you plug in a fast 2000mA charger from a tablet, the battery will indeed charge at 2000mA.

Having charged it from a 5200mAh solar-battery, I got one full charge (from 0-100%), then a second charge from 0% to exactly 50%, before my solar battery-pack was exhausted. This implies that a full charge of this lomui battery requires an electrical input of around 3467mAh. I'm not quite sure how to interpret this. I could oversimplify it and conclude that this 3800mAh battery holds pretty-much the power it says it does - but I suspect that there are electrical losses and that charging isn't as efficient as this. Therefore, I can only conclude that this battery probably has a higher capacity than a standard one, but maybe not the full advertised 3800mAh.

All in all a good battery so far - and definitely better than a worn-out one - but if you're after mega battery life, look for one of those massive batteries that comes with a different back for your phone. I will report back if battery life dramatically increases or decreases. I have so far drained this to 0% and charged it to 100% around 3 or 4 times now.

New Horrizon - Replacement Front Outer Glass Screen Lens For Samsung Galaxy S3 -S4 - S5 - Mini - NOTE 1 2 3 - Tools Included (Galaxy S3, White)
Offered by NewHorrizon

5.0 out of 5 stars Be careful and your phone will be like new!, 5 May 2016
The screen is a perfect replica of the original Samsung screen, although the feel isn't quite the same when operating it on the phone. I also doubt it's anywhere near as strong as the original screen, but at less than the price of a pint of beer, I wouldn't expect it!

The screen comes with all the tools necessary to change the phone's glass, apart from a hairdryer/heat-gun, somewhere to put the shards of old screen, and alcohol wipes to remove all traces of the old glue. That said, the plastic tools are a bit useless for the task as they're too broad/blunt, and not strong enough.

The kit comes with no instructions, but it's all quite self-explanatory and there are plenty of "how to" videos on video-sharing sites such as Youtube. I like the fact that the supplied 3M adhesive tape is precisely cut to fit the phone, although it's rather fiddly to apply, and I ended up just fitting the very outer sections of it, not the whole shape.

The general method is to heat up the phone screen with a hairdryer to soften the glue, and then use something like a fine screwdriver or stanley knife to begin lifting the screen. From there, you can use the softer tools, such as the supplied plastic tools, or an old credit card, to gently and extremely slowly prise the screen from the phone. If you don't have the glue quite hot enough, or try to go too fast, you will risk damaging the phone's display or causing the screen to shatter repeatedly into messy shards. Take extra special care around the illuminated buttons at the bottom of the phone, as they're wired to the phone but bonded to the screen. These pitfalls can turn a cheap fix into an unusable phone.

I strongly recommend cleaning the phone and screen thoroughly with alcohol wipes before applying this new glass, to remove all traces of dust, dirt, old glass and old glue.

With the original glass removed and the phone completely clean, it's just a case of applying the 3M tape to the phone, peeling off its backing, and simply pressing the new screen in place. Voila! Mobile phone repair shops want 30 quid to do this, and you have potentially fixed your phone for little more than a tenth of this plus anything from 30min to 2h of your time!

Blue Power Carbolic Soap 125g
Blue Power Carbolic Soap 125g
Offered by Blue Mountain Peak | Afro-Caribbean Food Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Astonishing germ-killing power, yet mild and not overpowering, 13 Mar. 2016
When I first opened the packet, it wasn't too strong, but there was definitely that familiar, pungent but almost sweet "antiseptic" smell many will recognise. The bar doesn't smell overpowering during use and the scent lingers only faintly on the skin, and even then only briefly. No one has yet been able to smell it on me after perhaps an hour. It feels rich and creamy, and lathers relatively well. I have been using it to combat a skin infection, and I noticed a dramatic improvement straight after the first use. Wow, that's some antiseptic power this little bar punches! To test its germ-killing abilities even further, I wore no cologne or deodorant for several days whilst using this soap, and didn't have even the faintest hint of a pong, not even in my arm pits after a good session at the climbing-wall. To top it all off, this stuff isn't drying out my skin either. I'm currently using it to wash/shower, shave, and am even washing my hair with it. My only gripe is that as I use the soap up, I've noticed that its scent and possibly germ-killing abilities too, are beginning to diminish ever so slightly. It's still good stuff and well worth it, though. For those who are unsure - the ingredients list on the packet definitely states that this soap includes carbolic acid, so rest assured that you're getting the real deal, not "carbolic scented" soap!

VARTA 346 Button Cell 4626 V625U/LR9/PX625
VARTA 346 Button Cell 4626 V625U/LR9/PX625

5.0 out of 5 stars Previous one lasted 30 years and 2 months, with a little life left..., 21 Dec. 2015
This review is for the battery I have just removed, rather than this new one, as it is the exact same manufacturer and model.

The door/ignition key in my Ford Capri, first registered October 1985, has a little light in it, so you don't scratch your door when trying to put the key in the lock when it's dark. I've noticed that, this past year, the light has been a little on the dim side. It still illuminates, but not enough for me to see the door lock in the dark. Time for a new battery, methinks. New one ordered for a couple of quid, key taken apart, light now bright! Result! Right, I guess that's it now, 'til 2045...

So basically, I can't say a lot, other than the original Varta battery, made in West Germany, lasted 30 years and 2 months and still has a tiny bit of life left in it. I hope the new one will last as long, despite production having shifted to China at some point in the past 30 years. That would make this little battery quite an economical purchase, having a cost of ownership of less than 7 pence a year.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Top Rated Car Charger, [Lifetime Warranty] RAVPower Dual USB Car Adaptor (4.8A/24W, iSmart Charging, Built-in Safety Protection) for iPhone 7 / 6S Plus / 5S, iPad Air / Mini, Galaxy S7 / S6 Edge, Nokia and More - Black
Offered by Sunvalleytek-UK

5.0 out of 5 stars I like it because it didn't set on fire. It also charged stuff., 17 Nov. 2015
I bought a cheap USB charger from my local discount store. I used the cheap one once, and all it did was slow down the rate at which my phone discharged... well, that's not quite all it did. It also started sizzling and puffing out smoke. I took the melted remains back to the store, got a refund, and went home to search Amazon for "USB chargers that actually charge USB things", and then narrowed down the results to "Chargers that don't set on fire". Surprisingly, these search criteria still delivered plenty of hits. This device was listed as the #1 best seller. So far, that status seems to be wholly justified.

The item looks and feels well put together and strong. I don't think I'll damage it any time soon. In fact, even the packaging was reassuring - a small and strong cardboard box with a satin finish and clear print, and a glossy and very clearly printed instruction leaflet with what appeared to be grammatically correct English and German gracing its pages. In contrast, my cheap copy had been a flimsy affair where the USB ports inside didn't even line up particularly well with the plastic outer casing, and its packaging had just been a clamshell package with a couple of lines of "Chinglish" printed on it at low resolution.

This power adaptor, I'm pleased to say, doesn't appear to have a spontaneous combustion feature. In fact, in common with other better-quality, safer car chargers, it has built-in protection against overheating, overcharging, short-circuiting and the like. So far I've used it with a handful of USB-powered devices and it was fine. It doesn't charge particularly quickly, but it does charge devices, with enough grunt to do it even while they're in use. The manufacturer also claims that it has some sort of intelligence that allows it to only supply what a device actually needs, thus protecting your devices from damage and delivering the optimal amount of power for a speedy charge without wearing out the battery.

I haven't tested this with two particularly power-hungry devices simultaneously (yet), but given the manufacturer's power rating, and the fact that my previous good charger could do it, I see no reason to expect this little device to not be able to supply enough juice for, say, a sat-nav and a dash-cam. So far, it doesn't appear to care whether your device is Apple, Android, a dash cam, or whatever. It just supplies charge and the device drinks it up.

The spring-loaded contacts on the side of the charger make it quite a snug-fit in a car cigar-lighter socket, and whilst it doesn't "click" in to place, it seems to have enough grip to stay put, even when subjected to the bone-shaking suspension of a Ford Focus RS or rattles of a Capri.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-15