Profile for H. Proudfoot > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Look
The Look

5.0 out of 5 stars Love this song - feels like the seaside, 8 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Look (MP3 Download)
And the video is cute.

I've had this song on repeat for far too long - catchy without being annoying, quirky and beautiful

The Novelist's Guide: Powerful Techniques for Creating Character, Dialogue and Plot
by Margaret Geraghty

5.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and feels useful, 8 Mar. 2014
I chose this based on the reviews.

I'm still a way off producing a novel, but the exercises and ideas are really useful in overcoming stumbling blocks and thinking how to develop a story, and the people within in.

Engagingly written (as you'd hope from someone teaching you to write) and inspiring.

It is also inspiring me to join a writing group - somewhere to get a bit of realisitic feedback and balance rather than writing and reviewing myself...

On Another Level
On Another Level
by Louise Rought

2.0 out of 5 stars Decent plot poorly written, 23 May 2013
This review is from: On Another Level (Paperback)
Enter a world where true love can only be expressed through the medium 'really thoughtful presents' - welcome to On Another Level. The language is bleak and clunky - I've never seen the word 'exited' used so frequently, and the needless description of uninteresting clothes - I'm not that interested in whether she chose the 'natural' or 'bamboo' coloured tights, but we are still told. Characters' motives remain unexplained and unimagined. It feels shallow, a story without a beating heart to keep it alive. If the writer had had another year to slice through it and tighten it up, it could have been a good book. The story's good, though I failed to really get any of the characters, and consequently failed to care. I plugged through it, despite the prose having the texture of corrugated cardboard.

Plain Plastic Scraper Flexible blade. 4.5 x 3"
Plain Plastic Scraper Flexible blade. 4.5 x 3"
Offered by Revelation At Home
Price: Click here to see our price

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but effective, 18 Sept. 2012
A simple bit of plastic - but really useful. It's great for cutting dough (and scraping up remnants of dried on dough when I'm done) without damaging my landlord's delicate wood worktop. It's cheaper than a cup of tea - definitely worth it!

Samsung PL20 Digital Camera -Black (14.2MP, 5x Optical Zoom, 2.7-inch LCD)
Samsung PL20 Digital Camera -Black (14.2MP, 5x Optical Zoom, 2.7-inch LCD)

4.0 out of 5 stars Does a reasonable job, 28 Aug. 2011
I bought this in a hurry on holiday having left my own compact at home...

The quality of the photos is very good, and the controls are fairly self explanatory - though it can be a bit slow and clunky to change settings - having to select a couple of things to change to and from Macro, for example.

It also has an aversion to focussing in Macro - especially when zoomed in.

The power cable has a USB end, which can be plugged into a computer or into a mains socket (with supplied adapter) for charging. While this is good as there are fewer bits and leads to deal with, you can only charge the battery when it's in the camera, so you can't charge one battery while using another in the camera.

For general use it is a very handy little camera, and good value for money.

Fourplay [DVD]
Fourplay [DVD]
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull., 2 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Fourplay [DVD] (DVD)
It was dull. It dragged. You thought it was nearly over then a whole lot more appeared. One star can be fully awarded for the miraculous appearance of Jack Dee, who (occasionally) showed up to drag me out of complete inertia.

Persuasion : Complete BBC Adaptation [1995] [DVD]
Persuasion : Complete BBC Adaptation [1995] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Amanda Root
Offered by d-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully done, 28 Nov. 2005
I had read the book a few times before seeing the adaptation, and had never quite managed to fix Captain Wentworth's character - it always appeared rather indefinate and generic. This film helped give some substance, and I think it kept to the book as well as any adaptation I have seen. It tends to slide by gentley - a serene viewing, soothing to the nerves, and very inducive to that warm, happy glow that a good love story can bring!
The DVD has no extras, except for a brief overview of the characters, which could be useful for people unfamiliar with the story, but really only serve as some way of putting something other on the disc. This was a bit of a disappointment, but then again, it does not detract from the whole simplicity and beauty of the production.

Sony NWE107 1GB MP3 Walkman - Pink
Sony NWE107 1GB MP3 Walkman - Pink

4.0 out of 5 stars Good in parts, 10 Oct. 2005
I really like this player, it is really ergonomically pleasing - somehow it is really satisfying the way it sits in you hand. I love the long battery life - does exactly what is says on the can - and the ability to organise music into files or playlists as well.
Unfortunately - the ear phones were bad - the ones that I got free with a £15 tape walkman a few years ago were better quality. The supplied ones offer a permenant hum which lowers the music quality considerably, so you have to have it really loud to hear anything.
- the software is irritating. It takes ages to convert music to ATRAC - (it said that wma tracks were ok, but only for the software, not the player). I filled half the player when I first got it, and it took about 2 1/2 hours. Grrr. Adding albums individualy as and when is far less stressful!
It also can't quite cope with the concept of albums with more than one artist, and you have to go through ticking to say that each track is in fact in the same album. grr. Renaming anything other than the track name is also an issue.
I generally use Windows media player to sort all my music, then just use sony stuff to put it on the player.
The buttons on the back are quite fiddly, but the are not the most essential buttons. The main ones are really nice, with the volume controls perfectly placed for holding it in your hand.
This is a nice little player - not and ipod, and aesthetically designed. Apart from the Brilliant battery life, there are probably better value players out there; the creative 1gb with radio, or sanyo 5gb for example, though I have no idea what they're like!

North and South
North and South
by Elizabeth Cleghorn Gaskell

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly Good, 3 Feb. 2005
This review is from: North and South (Paperback)
I would certainly recommend this novel. I read it before the TV series came along, and loved it for itself. I read half the book in one night - so desperate was I to find out what happened - although I later regretted having almost skimmed through parts of it. This is a book with a lot to offer - from gritty portrails of life in working mill town, to the beautiful romance that is entwined in the dirt and grime like a silken ribbon slinking through a brier bush. The contrasts between the supposed ideallic life in the South and the harsh North are blurred and erased, as stereotypes are broken down through personal contact as the pages progress. It is a delight to read, giving delight to anyone with a romantic heart, or the harder feelings of someone interested in dealing with issues of empathy with the Victorian working classes.
Read it. You would a stoic indeed to regret it.

Gorilla
Gorilla
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories of the Moni Room finally not a dream!, 2 May 2004
This review is from: Gorilla (Audio CD)
All I could remember from the title of this album was Gorilla - except that I thought it was a group called 'The Gorillas'. That is why it has taken me so long to track down this fantastic CD. Someone had a copy of it, and it was almost on constantly in the Moni room - our study room - at school. Jollity Farm was a masterpiece, as was Rule Britannia! The CD may have been taken home long ago, yet we still go round saying 'hip hip hip hip hippy!' at random strangers. (surely someone out there must understand?!?) I'm so happy that I have now refound the true source of all that merriment. The other reviewer may be an aged rocker, but I am still in the tender teenage years. This is fantastic listening for anyone who knows how to laugh out loud. Proper belly laughs here. I can't wait to hear it again! wah hee!

Page: 1 | 2